is this enough space for my first flight

levigabel

Is this enough space for my first flight? I will be using a tiny trainer. I have no experience flying except for about thirty seconds in a simulator at my local hobby shop, would have been longer but we were in a hurry.:)
feild.JPG
:)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it looks like a good spot to fly, but pictures can be deceiving. Something about the size of a football field is perfect for the TT. The actual runway doesn't need to be anywhere near that large, it's just the landing approach, being free of tall things like trees that matters.

ColoFlyer

Also I was wondering if you think the amount of snow in the picture would be fine to fly/land/crash in?
That amount of snow is more than fine, there could be a lot more snow and it would still be fine.

Have you considered installing an Aura 5 Lite flight controller, it would make learning much easier, and less destructive crashes?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Also I was wondering if you think the amount of snow in the picture would be fine to fly/land/crash in?
Yes, the speed build kits are made with a water resistant foam & the electriconics with be fine.

If you were flying over water you could be concerned if you went in. But a bit of snow or a heavy due are no problems

levigabel

That amount of snow is more than fine, there could be a lot more snow and it would still be fine.

Have you considered installing an Aura 5 Lite flight controller, it would make learning much easier, and less destructive crashes?

I would like to, but I only barley had enough money to get the tiny trainer, and the aura is just to much rite now, but i might be able to get one in April.

Cnat

I fly with much less room in my backyard. That spot is perfect! I actually like having a bunch of snow on the ground. I have like a foot of fluffy snow here and it causes much less damage when you throw a plane into the ground at mach 5 like I do all the time. Ive crashed planes in the snow that came back totally fine where as if it was hard ground it would have done some serious damage. They just sit in the snow like a lawn dart lol. You just need to make sure to get the electronics in a place where snow wont get in them. I just shake my plane off and tap the nose cone on the ground a few times to knock the snow out of the cowling. Let it dry inside upside down and its fine.

Have fun! You're going to love it. Just remember building is part of the fun. So when you crash it just glue it back together and enjoy.

I strongly recommend reinforcing the fuselage (Especially the nose) and the leading edge with packing tape. It makes the plane so much stronger in regards to crashes and doesn't add a ton of weight. All my foamboard planes are pretty much completely wrapped in packing tape and its so much more resistant to crashes and scrapes. Its saved a lot of my aircraft from going in the trash.

Attachments

• PXL_20240116_212240989.jpg
    PXL_20240116_212240989.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

levigabel

I fly with much less room in my backyard. That spot is perfect! I actually like having a bunch of snow on the ground. I have like a foot of fluffy snow here and it causes much less damage when you throw a plane into the ground at mach 5 like I do all the time. Ive crashed planes in the snow that came back totally fine where as if it was hard ground it would have done some serious damage. They just sit in the snow like a lawn dart lol. You just need to make sure to get the electronics in a place where snow wont get in them. I just shake my plane off and tap the nose cone on the ground a few times to knock the snow out of the cowling. Let it dry inside upside down and its fine.

Have fun! You're going to love it. Just remember building is part of the fun. So when you crash it just glue it back together and enjoy.

I strongly recommend reinforcing the fuselage (Especially the nose) and the leading edge with packing tape. It makes the plane so much stronger in regards to crashes and doesn't add a ton of weight. All my foamboard planes are pretty much completely wrapped in packing tape and its so much more resistant to crashes and scrapes. Its saved a lot of my aircraft from going in the trash.
Thanks, I am new to the forums and i have already gotten so much help!

Foamforce

Looks like a nice space. Get up high as soon as possible. Get wayyy up high so that when you turn the wrong direction and head straight down you’ll have time to correct. Also, be patient and wait for a day with 2-4mph wind for your first flight. Those things make a lot of difference. As soon as you get up high and start flying around you get experience rapidly. Don’t be like me and make ten trips out to the field with 30 seconds of flying time on each trip. 😂

levigabel

Looks like a nice space. Get up high as soon as possible. Get wayyy up high so that when you turn the wrong direction and head straight down you’ll have time to correct. Also, be patient and wait for a day with 2-4mph wind for your first flight. Those things make a lot of difference. As soon as you get up high and start flying around you get experience rapidly. Don’t be like me and make ten trips out to the field with 30 seconds of flying time on each trip. 😂
It looks like tomorrow (when i get my tiny trainer) is going to have about 12mph wind, so i am going to wait till Monday and Tuesday when its down to about 5 to 2 mph winds.

Bricks

Master member
It looks like tomorrow (when i get my tiny trainer) is going to have about 12mph wind, so i am going to wait till Monday and Tuesday when its down to about 5 to 2 mph winds.

Build as light as you can extra hot glue does not make it stronger and adds weight, the lighter you can build it the better and easier it will fly.