Hobby King and the KK2

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
CR, nice Maiden -- congrats!

Seemed a bit like the "little engine that could" for a while there ;)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Yeah, it looks like it is sluggish in the video. Mostly that is me flying a tri-copter for the first time ever and being really easy on the throttle. It flew at 45%.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeah, it looks like it is sluggish in the video. Mostly that is me flying a tri-copter for the first time ever and being really easy on the throttle. It flew at 45%.

Yeah, it looked like you were feeling her out -- wise thing to do on a maiden, and multirotors will let you as long as you've got a light touch.

45% is respectable! she should do just fine. plenty of headroom to hang gear off her . . . or not and really zip around. What size motors are the KK2 driving (just to look like I'm staying on-topic ;))

RoyBro

Mentor
Very nice first flight. My first tricopter flight wasn't nearly as pretty. At least you kept the top side up and the bottom side down, and didn't land on the props as I did. :p

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Thank you, RoyBro. I had LOTS AND LOTS of help from the FT community and gained a ton of experience with quads first.

To be honest, this is the first maiden I have had where I didn't swap two ESC leads where they connect to the KK2 and land on my rotors.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Rctimer 2830's. Have been using a 90C burst 2200, I hope discharging close to 130C isn't too crazy for the HK 20As. :rolleyes:

DSC00133.jpg

earthsciteach

What is the little, in-line skate wheeled vehicle in the pic? Oh, the multi looks really nice!

Ever find the one lost in the woods?

Loc8tor

How are you using 4s with a kk board. I thought you could only use 3s. I've been thinking of building a more powerful one but am not experienced enough to pick parts or know how to step up to 4s without burning something up.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The board is powered through the ESC's, so as long as those can handle the extra voltage, there is nothing to worry about.

Loc8tor

The board is powered through the ESC's, so as long as those can handle the extra voltage, there is nothing to worry about.

So esentially I could have a 6s tricopter as long as I have the right speed controls and motors, and it won't affect the kk board?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That's correct. Or, you can get a separate BEC that can handle 6S to power everything. That's how the big heli guys do it and it works fine.

Loc8tor

That's correct. Or, you can get a separate BEC that can handle 6S to power everything. That's how the big heli guys do it and it works fine.

I don't even know what a bec is or what it does. How would I find the right props, motor and speed control for a set power of battery? I have seen the videos from flitetest but it doesn't seem to click with me. If I wanted to use 4s I don't know how big of a motor prop or speed control to get. That's good to know I don't have to buy a special controller board to build one though.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
BEC means battery eliminator circuit.

A BEC generally provides a reduced voltage to stuff that doesn't need or cannot handle the full voltage of the battery. In 'our' case of multirotors, the flight control board, receiver, servos, some cameras, etc., don't require or need 12V, so a 'BEC' reduces the 12v down to a manageable voltage, generally around 5V. Many ESCs can do 2 jobs. . . provide reduced voltage to stuff and switch direct current to alternate current for brushless motors or a BEC ESC.

And without going into the minutia of www.ecalc.ch or F=MA stuff, what can handle 3S (10v-12.6v) or 4S (13.3-16.8v). . .generally it says on the component specs. As in this wonderfully cheap and great ESC. . the third line down in the specs tell you 3S-4S Lipo. Or this motor can handle both 3S and 4S as it says beside battery in the specs.

And in general higher KV motors spin smaller props and visa-versa. Higher KV motors generally cannot lift as much mass as a lower KV motor.

Loc8tor

BEC means battery eliminator circuit.

A BEC generally provides a reduced voltage to stuff that doesn't need or cannot handle the full voltage of the battery. In 'our' case of multirotors, the flight control board, receiver, servos, some cameras, etc., don't require or need 12V, so a 'BEC' reduces the 12v down to a manageable voltage, generally around 5V. Many ESCs can do 2 jobs. . . provide reduced voltage to stuff and switch direct current to alternate current for brushless motors or a BEC ESC.

And without going into the minutia of www.ecalc.ch or F=MA stuff, what can handle 3S (10v-12.6v) or 4S (13.3-16.8v). . .generally it says on the component specs. As in this wonderfully cheap and great ESC. . the third line down in the specs tell you 3S-4S Lipo. Or this motor can handle both 3S and 4S as it says beside battery in the specs.

And in general higher KV motors spin smaller props and visa-versa. Higher KV motors generally cannot lift as much mass as a lower KV motor.

Is the bec the cable from the esc that plugs into the KK board to get the input info? I've seen in some build plans they say to cut the bec wires but I have never cut any wires on any esc and it works fine. Plus what would I plug into the kk board if I cut that cable. You have been very helpful and have taught me a lot. I appreciate the time you take to respond.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Is the bec the cable from the esc that plugs into the KK board to get the input info? I've seen in some build plans they say to cut the bec wires but I have never cut any wires on any esc and it works fine. Plus what would I plug into the kk board if I cut that cable. You have been very helpful and have taught me a lot. I appreciate the time you take to respond.
The wire that comes from the ESC is the same as a servo wire but differs in one important way. the red/black or red/brown carries power FROM the ESC TO the receiver, or in this case, the KK2. On a normal servo, those wires carry power to the servo from the receiver. The white or yellow wire is for signal and it's how the receiver tells the ESC or servo how to move or how much throttle to give.
Some boards don't like the grounds connected separately due to ground loops but the KK2 doesn't care. You don't have to cut anything to use it.