Hobby King and the KK2

knife-edge

The kk2 has been discontinued and replaced with the kk2.1. It was the daily today on HK. But dont bother cause od course theyre sold out.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Time to suggest this to David to have a comparison between kk2.0 and kk2.1! Maybe HK will give him one of the first batches so that he can play around with it and review it for us!

Well I talked with Chad earlier and he hadn't heard of it - and it's on backorder now so I doubt they will be one of the first ones to get one. However you could turn to the hardcore dudes at RCGroups, they will most likely do a review and testing of it.

I was expecting GPS capabilities :( i would pay extra for that, maybe 32 dollars jajajja JK i would go as far as 70-90

how much would you pay for a KK with a GPS module

Your spanishness is noticeable :p

To answer your question - Anything under $100 would be a competition to the ArduPilot. Though $32 would not be bad :D

RoyBro

Mentor
I'd pay $50 for it if it had GPS with loiter and return to launch. I don't need way point capabilities. Just those safety features.

DDSFlyer

OMG you guys just got me an impulse buy!!! Was just going to sleep and saw your posts and did a double take. Went to hobbyking's website and saw the in stock status and put down an order for 2! (plus additional items that's couldn't waste an international order without) and bam nowmim down my monthly $100 budget...I think I'll sell the second one to a guy I fly with or on the forums when I get it here...in 3 months

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I second the idea of asking for an FT review of the new board.

It has a new layout, new sensors, new processor and more memory. What does it all mean to me?

I would also like a review of ver 1.6++ and think this would be a great time to ask. :)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Beware, NONE of the current KK2 firmware will work with the KK2.1 and the promised "Available" 1.6 for the KK2.1 is NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!:mad: Not an issue for me till my boards get here though.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I found this posted on the HK files tab for this board while looking for new firmware. It's not my review.
KK2.1 Test Results on FY 450 Quad.
On opening the box we see a very smart looking board with obvious differences from the KK2. The addition of the voltage plug as well as the buzzer plug is fantastic as this means no soldering is needed for voltage read out on the screen. As per original KK2, the screen does not appear to be stuck down properly but it is good to see a protective film over it.
Installation is the same as the old KK2 with the plug orientation unchanged. The biggest difference is the lack of any visible forward direction arrows as was featured on the old board. As much as the forward direction may appear obvious to us with the buttons at the bottom, we cannot assume all customers would think this. Perhaps having this mark on future models would be a useful addition. Also there is no indication as to the positive and negative polarity of the buzzer connection as was on the previous version.
When powering up the board for the first time, I’m pleased to see the layout of the menu has not changed. It is still as easy to navigate as the old KK2. Mounting the board is as easy as ever and I have found simply mounting with gyro tape to be the best option as this insulates the exposed terminals on the back of the board and also protects the control board from any vibration. It holds it securely but If you want to remove it later, the tape easily peels off with no residue.
After calibrating the board and setting the various options for my configuration (X Quad), I found that the P and I gain defaults are dramatically too high resulting in a violent wobble. I reduced the values by half in the first instance and adjusted them further in subsequent test hovers. The values I achieved for basic, stable flight in both hover and forward flight were:
P Gain: 23,
P Limit: 53,
I Gain: 39 and
I Limit: 25. (These may be subject to slight adjustment)
This enabled me to fly the quad around quite easily and with little wobble. I then moved on to setting the Self Level function. This initially was set to be activated via an AUX channel on the transmitter but the board would not recognize this command. I had to
go back to the default setting using the right aileron command when arming the board. Although that is fine for the test, I would be looking to have this reliably switching via the AUX channel whilst in flight. The self-level settings were again set too high for normal operation and caused the quad to wobble. In this instance I turned the P gain and P Limit down to 5 and increased in increments of 5 individually until a balance was found between the control available and wobble, resulting in a very stable indoor flight. The values I achieved for basic, stable flight in both travel and hover are:
P Gain:90,
P Limit20. (subject to possible change later.)
Although level was set using a spirit level, the quad did not hold its position and some ACC trim had to be used. In this instance only 9 points of back pitch were needed to hold position. This could be a difference in temperature since setting level.
Note: Having too higher gain on the self-level will cause the quad to wobble at higher throttle settings whilst balancing as per the images. I have had to reduce the gain further to make a solid, balanced hover. The final settings for self-level are:
P Gain: 50
P limit: 30
To suit my flying style I have had to adjust the stick scaling. This is of course is a personal adjustment and has no reflection on the operation of the control board but, for me it is too soft. In comparison to the old KK2, initial flights show a promising performance, stable flight and reliability. I’m very impressed with the speed of set up allowing very stable flight within ten minutes. Over the course of a few more flights I have increased the sensitivity for aerobatic performance but have dialled in some exponential on the transmitter to make for a more accurate hover. With increased stick scaling I am able to achieve aerobatic flight very easily. In normal mode, the quad is very sensitive and easy to get out of control. Within just a couple of adjustments, I am able to flip the quad within its own length. This was less achievable on the previous board but the recovery from the flip is considerably more composed than the previous version. I have added an additional 10% Exponential in the transmitter to dial down some of the twitching in hover from manual control. When in self-level mode, the movement is restricted but you can still get a roll and a loop out of it. The gain was reduced further in self-level mode for fast-forward flight.
Summary.
Overall I am delighted with the KK2.1. The claimed improvements are justified and have a massive effect to the flight characteristics. Within an afternoon the quad was flying how I wanted it to and the whole flight is now more predictable than ever. The faster sensors and processors show in the recovery from maneuvers in manual mode where the old version would struggle. Self-level mode is better than ever and you can really rely on the board to keep itself out of the ground. The KK2.1 is a great FC and with the additional functions and potential for new software makes for an exciting and reliable piece of kit. My only grumble is that for some reason my board will not switch from manual to SL mode using an AUX channel. This will need further investigation.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Hmm, I'm hoping he's doing something screwy like plugged into the wrong socket on his receiver or something equally simple for the lack of auto-level toggle on the aux channel.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah. Seems like that might be the only issue, other than no 1.6 to be found... Even that might be fixed, like you said, or it could be fixed in the firmware...

DDSFlyer

That's a great review, even if I have no clue about multirotors yet it makes me feel good about my purchase:)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have slight worries there may be some turmoil getting a v1.6 out to the KK2.1. As Tritium said, you'll brick your card if you attempt to update with the current KK2 firmwares. And Kapteinkuk seems to be absent in participation to this card's release. So, I'm not quite sure what's going on behind the curtain.

My worries are not that an update will be forthcoming, only that it may take awhile. But seeing how HK takes weeks to deliver, I'm hoping the dust settles by then.

I also think it must be in HK's interest to get this sorted out as quickly as possible since I believe HK will have a massive help desk nightmare when unknowing folks try to flash the KK2.1 with 1.6 or 1.6++.

Last edited:

Liemavick

Mentor
If I read right these things are being shipped with v1.5. Wasn't that the version that had the auto level issues? The ONE review posted said after tweaking the auto-level settings he was happy with the results. Should be interesting.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, the problem firmware version was on the KK2 with version 1.2 FW. The KK2.1 is a different animal with no AL issues, as of yet.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Right. v1.5 autolevel is good, if not great. v1.6 improves it slightly. I used v1.5 up until recently because I was more than happy with it over v1.2. I felt there was no need to sit down and flash to v1.6. Once I was "in the flashing mode", building my new quad and flashing the ESCs, I went ahead and upgraded to v1.6 for both my tri and the quad. Sure v1.6 is a tiny bit tighter, but v1.5 is good enough for the vast about of new people getting into multirotors for fun flying.