HobbyKing Donkey ST2004-1550kv Brushless Motor

jackjameshoward

Hello i'm new here. I'm looking to build a lot of (50 plus) FT Flyers for a public science fair to create interest in the hobby.
The project is being partly funded by a grant and some private funding. I am on a tight budget so i would like the cheapest power pod set up possible (motor, ESC, battery, prop). In the UK the cheapest motor that seems suitable to me is the "HobbyKing Donkey ST2004-1550kv Brushless Motor".

What I would like to know is the hobbyking motor above a suitable replacement for motors recommend by FT, listed below.

Dynam 18Amp ESC w/ 3A BEC
TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller
Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC
Suppo 18A Brushless ESC

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Its a good motor, I had one before I left for college and it works very well.
The SS 18s are excellent, and nearly bullet proof.
Try GWS 7x35hd props if you can get them, they are awesome props for that motor.

marc60

Hi Jack, your list contains speedcontrolers, no motors. If you want to know what speedcontroller to use; look at the technical information listed by the item on the hobbyking site. It tells you how many amps the motor needs; Choose a speedcontroler that has a safety margin.
Say you need 10 amps, than I always take an esc for 15-20 amps.

jackjameshoward

Great advice in minutes, couldn't ask for better. Foam Addict thanks for the advice on the prop, i'll be sure to give the motor and prop a try no.
marc60 thanks for your advice and for pointing out the list of ESC's, looks like I copied and pasted the wrong list, it was supposed to be:-

LazerToyz Blue Wonder 24g [2712-12]
HEXTRONIK 24GRAM BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER 1300KV
Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv
Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.) - See more at: http://flitetest.com/articles/swappable-fuselage-speed-build-kit#sthash.UyXpVe83.dpuf

highflying

NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!! Wait don't buy them. Building with UK foamboard it will fail. The Donkey offers around a maximum of 400g of thrust, but your plane will be much much heavier than it should be. A person made an FT Old Fogey out of UK foamboard, it weighed 800g! Using a HXT 24g motor (more thrust) and it didn't even fly for a few seconds. Get something bigger, like the Turnigy D2822 1450kv one. Around 16a on a 2s, and gives roughly 550g of thrust with that. This would allow you to use the motor on more models. Failing that, a FC 2812.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Surely it depends on what uk foam board you get. I use stuff that's absolutely fine, it weighs the same as the ft models anyway.