Hobbyking Pan Tilt Mobius camera mount (with mods)

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I wanted my Mobius camera to pan/tilt with my head tracker, just like my FPV camera. So I picked up this mount from HK:

73015.jpg

For pan, I got this 180 degree metal gear analog servo. For tilt, I got this standard metal gear analog servo. The servos run about $5 each and the mount is about $5, so all up, the kit cost $20 or so with shipping. I ordered an extra couple of servos just on principle. The 180 degree servo works correctly, unlike the FatShark pan/tilt mount servo, which requires a "servo stretcher" to achieve full 180 degree rotation. Because of the stress that's likely to be on this mount, I wouldn't think that nylon gear servos would last long.

I had to do some custom work to figure out how to mount the Mobius and the FPV camera at the same time. I used balsa and thick CA with accelerator to do the prototyping. I normally would have used hot glue, but I was concerned about the weight. This was my first time working with thick CA and accelerator, and I was really pleased with how well it worked.

2015-04-20 12.01.58.jpg

The servo linkage in the photo is not the one that came with the kit. The kit comes with an adjustable ball linkage, but I didn't like that the balls were held on with tiny screws. I just didn't trust those screws not to come loose in flight. I swapped out the linkage for a push rod with screw clevis. This also made adjusting the length of the linkage easier. It took quite a lot of fiddling around to find the optimal geometry for the linkage. I ended up moving the servo to the front of the mount instead of the intended location in the back because that gave me more upwards travel. My ability to look down is limited by the nose of the plane, whereas I need to be able to look up so as to look into turns while the plane is banked over.

2015-04-20 12.02.23.jpg

I went through many different prototype attempts to figure out how to mount the FPV camera, but ultimately what worked best was also the simplest: foam tape backed up with electrical tape.

It remains to be seen how well this will work in flight. It has a relatively substantial frontal area, and the whole thing is just hanging off of the drive gear of the pan servo, with no reinforcement or stabilization. I hope that my choice of metal gear servos will keep it from falling apart on the first hard landing... we'll see. It can't be any worse than the FatShark pan/tilt mount, with its nylon servos. And at least I'll only pay $5 to replace these servos if/when they break.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
The 180 degree servo works correctly, unlike the FatShark pan/tilt mount servo, which requires a "servo stretcher" to achieve full 180 degree rotation.

For what it's worth: I have the Fatshark pan/tilt mount (purchased here), and it does rotate 180 degrees (or close to it anyway) in the pan axis. Maybe mine is a newer version than yours or something?

It can't be any worse than the FatShark pan/tilt mount, with its nylon servos.

Like I said on your other thread, the V2 ones have the metal-gear pan servo (if you follow that link I posted, note how it says: "w/ 180 MG Servo"). I'm not sure if mine is that version or not...I forget when I disassembled it to mount it whether or not it was metal gear. The gears do appear to be metal thru the translucent case (not 100 percent sure though), and the fact that it is also 180 would seem to be in accord with that V2 description, if yours is pre-V2 and not 180.

Last edited:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I flew this setup for the first time this weekend (been busy with another build) and on the first rough landing, the control horn tore off entirely. I wondered whether this would be a risk, but the dang thing is designed to hold a Mobius, so I figured it would be okay. There was no damage to the servo, thankfully. The bottom line is that this mount should be avoided unless you only ever do smooth landings, or perhaps unless you want to get a reinforced control horn of some kind.

Last edited: