Hot glue problem

haga1981

Just a simple question in case anyone can help. My problem is that my hot glue dries way too fast! I mean within 5-8 seconds its rock solid. I used my fathers glue-gun which was a 25W and I bought a new 40W one since I saw the guys on FT use a 40W one. But alas, nothing changed. The glue still dries too fast.

Any ideas? I don't bother mentioning glue/gun brand (its the same one) since I live in Europe and most probably you will not know it.

I read on the manufacturer's notes that it should take about 30-40 seconds to dry so I am wondering whether I am doing something wrong.

My last choice would be to call the importer but I doubt this would help.

P.S. I do my gluing always inside and I always wait 10min until the gun is very hot before using it.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
What color is the glue sticks? Are they mostly clear or are they a milky, hazey look? The ones that are "not clear" are bad and do not work well. There is a thread about that issue somewhere in the forums.

brettp2004

Also, are you glueing foamboard or some other material? Some material will cool the glue very quick but if it's foamboard it shouldn't dry that quick.

haga1981

Yes, its foam board. Even though I have to admit that the way the material sounds on the build videos sounds much more paper-ish than the one I have. Mine has paper on top-bottom but its somewhat reflective/glossy looking. Not sure about the sticks color because I am not home right now to see, was the problem with the milky ones that they dried too quickly as well?

brettp2004

Yes, the unclear ones dry to quick and don't bond as well because of that. The foamboard you're using sounds a lot the elmers foamboard here in the US that is heavier and glossy. I've never used it but that might be one factor as to why the glue dries so quick.

haga1981

Well, since we are discussing about different brands here Adtech vs the one I got there is no point in comparing the two. I mean even if the sticks I have are indeed translucent that does not necessarily mean anything by itself.

I think I need to do some tests to determine exactly how many seconds I have before the glue dries.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Testing is always useful -- good to know how your tools and materials handle -- but keep in mind, the cooling time will strongly depend on how much glue is put down.

If you run a paper-thin bead it'll cool to "tacky" almost instantly (which is too cool to get a good bond). Drop a big quarter-sized glob and a minute later you could still get a nasty burn if you stab your finger in it.

I've found on my DTFB glue joints -- as long as I can get to it -- it's better to lay on a thick bead, press it out of the joint with the foam, then squeegee out the excess. you end up with plenty of heat and glue in the joint and the excess puts a strong skin on the joint edges. The downside -- you need a good glue gun to run long beads, and even the good ones usually need a minute or two between beads to warm back up. It also goes through glue VERY fast, since much of the glue you put in is wiped right back out.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
they where hawking the adtechs pretty heavily in the last build vid.

not that surprising, but honestly, haven't seen the vid yet.

Seeing they've entered in a partnership with a glue-gun vendor, unless they choose to sever the partnership, I expect they'll keep out of competing with each other. There's a good chance that's a binding requirement of the partnership.

As for the recommendations, they're CONSTANTLY being asked (for that matter, WE'RE constantly being asked because it's their forum) which glue gun is "best" . . . A loaded question ;) . . . but it's easy to recommend in good conscience what's been reliable to you.

Personally, I use the high(ish) wattage Surebonder PRO2-100 on my builds and pretty pleased with it as a scalding hot glue fountain. If you've got a high tolerance for burns, it's a great gun. I've used their Adtechs and been pleased with how they perform. I'm brand-agnostic in that respect -- if the gun works well, I'm not going to find fault in the recommendation.

ruud

(edit: some of) The glue guns sold through gluegun.com appear to be AdTech brand anyway, so there doesn't seem to be a conflict here.