Hot motor FT Baby blender v2

kevintieman

Hi all,

I recently built a baby blender and it flies great, however I've been strugling with finding the right motor / prop combination.

I started off with a NTM propdrive 28/26 1350kv, it spinned a 8x6 slowfly prop with a 4 cell lipo. In this configuration it wouldn't lift off. I put on a APC 9x6 prop and it finally flew, but the motor got really hot. Then I bought a Turnigy 2836 1100kv motor, again with the 9x6 APC prop with the 4 cell lipo. Again the motor got really hot. Tried with a 3 cell icm with the 9x6 APC prop, motor not hot but really lacking power. Then tried a 10x6 APC prop icm with a 3 cell, enough power but again motor got really hot..

I'm tempted to try the 3536 1100kv motor I got lying around..

My question, what configurations are you using? And what do you recommend for a powerful setup? The blender flies ok, but I miss power to do some vertical and more stunts.

kdobson83

Try using an 11x7 prop on that turnigy motor on 3s. The site says on that setup it should push 1100 grams of thrust. Should give you unlimited vertical. How heavy is your blender with battery?

kevintieman

Try using an 11x7 prop on that turnigy motor on 3s. The site says on that setup it should push 1100 grams of thrust. Should give you unlimited vertical. How heavy is your blender with battery?
Hi, Thanks for replying :). However it's already running hot with a 10x6 prop, I'm worried frying the motor with a 11x7 prop.

I'll try replacing the prop adapter, it's slightly bent. Could that cause the motor to overheat?

kdobson83

Well, running a smaller prop than recommended causes the motor to spin faster than intended as well.

I'm curious tho, both motors your using should produce way more than enough power to fly the blender. If you stay light with the build you can fly the blender off of a tiny blue wonder motor. Using a 2200 3s battery the auw should be about 600grams. Meaning if you are pushing 800+ with your motor you should have unlimited vertical. That turnigy with an 11x7 on 3s pushes 1100grams. Almost double your auw. Now, it probably won't be fast but should have ample power.

What foamboard are you using? Is it a kit? DTFB? Or are you using a heavier foam board? I ask because if your using a heavier board like Elmer's which is double the weight of the DTFB, and you got heavy landing gear and paint...

But, I also don't know why your getting hot either. Is it hot, like you can't keep your fingers crossed on it for more than a second or so, or is it just warm?

kevintieman

Hi, I'll weigh the model once I get home. Not sure what foamboard it is, I aquired it in the Netherlands. So it's not the flite test foamboard.

kevintieman

But, I also don't know why your getting hot either. Is it hot, like you can't keep your fingers crossed on it for more than a second or so, or is it just warm?

It's really hot, like you really want to remove your fingers immediately after you touched it.

kdobson83

It sounds to me like either you have some super heavy foam board or maybe the motor is binding up on the firewall. Double check the back of the motor and make sure the rear of the shaft with the c-clip isn't rubbing on the firewall. I was at Michael's craft store the other week and saw some foam board there, standard 5mm thickness, standard 20x30 inches size, but weighed 3 times what DTFB does.

Chuppster

I use an NTM 2830 1000kv on 4s with a 10x6. It flies out of my hand like a rocket and has torque to do all kinds of aerobatics.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I think first I would check for obstructions with the motor. 2nd of all, get a wattmeter (unless you have one) and see what it reads. Also, I'd weigh your model too and see that says. I'm not too familiar with its power needs but it definitely sounds like you shouldn't be having these problems. I was thinking the Baby Blender could run on 3 cells.

kevintieman

You guys are right, it weighs 874 grams with a 2200 3s lipo (174 grams). The foam board I use weighs 370 grams at 100 x 70 cm, and I use landing gear but no paint (yet). I'll try the 11x7 on 3s or the 10x6 or 4s, hoping the motor will survive.

Although I'll probably go for the ft edge 540 in the near future :D, guess I'll be needing some other type of foamboard for that. Anyone got recommendations with light foamboard in the Netherlands?