How do I make it more responsive ?? (A KK2 question)

So I have been toiling away with various things in a never ending quest to reach ultimate quad nirvana, but alas I am forever and perpetually stuck with the auto leveling switched on as it appears that I just cant stay in control in acro mode.

On our little WL toys quad, the supplied controller gives you the option for setting various levels of aggression, with 40% being rather sedate and slow rates of action through to 100% which makes it snappy as hell and real twitchy. Oh how I wish for something so simple on the KK2....

When the kk2 auto leveling is on, I find that I can control the quad with ease, even if it is jerky and snappy as it works hard to remain level - no problems there.

But when I switch off the auto level, the quad is so ummm fluid (for want of a better word) that instead of making short sharp adjustments to pitch and roll, it makes great big slushy slow wallowing movements which I find very hard to predict or control, and I ALWAYS end up in a big ol' tank slapper and if I dont bang that auto level back on real quick I always end up over correcting and crashing...

*sigh*

There is SO much written about fine tuning the KK2 its damn near impossible to know where to start.

So please, I beg you, can someone tell me, in plain dumb english layman's terms what settings do I need to be looking at to make my quad less of a wallowing hippo and more responsive!???

Many thanks
Drew

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Drew,

What you're describing is an airframe out of tune. Acro mode should be a little more fluid when contorlled . . . but the airframe should hold it's attitude when you release the sticks. Assuming everything is straight (which SL would have trouble if that were the case), this is fixed in tuning the gains. I'd recommend looking at the steps on pp4 of the manual at the bottom of this post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29075824

It should step you through tuning each gain, but you *must* do this with SL off. As you've discovered, SL hides how good or bad the tuning is.

BTW, if you haven't, you should flash to the latest version of the ROM. Stock ROMs from HK are buggy and don't fly as well. kk2.x boards from RTFQ may not have the latest, but they at least have good ROMs. If you've got a kk2.0, you'l want any of the v1.6 ROMs for the kk2.0 board -- the biggest difference between them are add-on features. For the kk2.1.x boards, It appears the latest is Steveis's V1.18S1.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Well, you can do several things. (that is if you haven't done what I list below already)

First, flash to one of Steveis' firmware versions. If you're using what came on the card, you'll be amazed.

Then you can choose to stay in Self Level, just turn it way down. That will give you some auto-level and still give you a lot more freedom of movement.

If you choose to turn it off, you can add expo to the elevator, ailerons and rudder on your transmitter. If you're running currently with no expo, it will be a revelation in control. Try 35% initially, then down or up to taste.

Also, a small bit of stick scaling on the transmitter or on the card will also take some of the edge off.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Be aware also that the refresh rates on the ESCs will play a part here.

Using Simon K or BlHeli firmware or KISS ESCs makes a HUGE difference.