how do I wire 4 esc's into 1 channel?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
there was an article in the AMA mag a few months ago that talked about using multiple ESC's on a plane and if the "pulling the red" wire was actually needed. they concluded that if you use the same motors, and same ESC's, you really don't need to worry about it. the last several multi-motored planes i have built i have just plugged the ESC's in not bothered. had no issues what so ever. plus then if you crash and need to recycle the parts, your not stuck with 3 of 4 ESC's that you need to repair to be able to work as a single unit again.

just saying...

me :cool:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
kinda dumb question... If I have a number of motors wired in the fashion you ID'd (y-harnessed and the like, but only only 1 BEC rid wire, or a separate one) and I use the (+)red and (-)ground from the "spare" BEC's to power 5V LEDs as long as they don't pull over the rated Amps?

and if so, how do I measure the current of a strand of such LED's with a voltmeter so I don't burn it out.

You can definitely use the spare BEC's to power other things. To measure current you need an ammeter, which is almost always included in a standard multimeter. An ammeter must be connected in series with the load, unlike a volt meter which is connected in parallel. Your multimeter will have 3 ports, one is common which is where the black lead goes. To use it as an ammeter, you put the red lead in the port marked A or current. then connect the red lead to the BEC red wire, and the black lead to the LED strip + terminal.

Bricks

Master member
Most LEDs are 12 volt what I do for LEDs is use the batteries balance lead, with the appropriate JST connector.