FT Flyer - 4 Channel Conversion?

Donity

Hey all. I've just started making my first FT kit, and chose something really easy to make - the FT Flyer. I've flown before, and was wondering how easy it would be to convert the original 3 CHANNEL airplane into 4 channels.

The Flyer has interesting wings, and I was wondering how I could make alierons. I'm guessing I can just choose some dimensions and do it the same way I made the horizantal stabalizer.

luvmy40

Elite member
I did a FT Flyer with ailerons. It functioned perfectly, but alas, I did not. It was an attempt at an easy to build 3D flyer so I did not add and dihedral to the wings. This made it very squirrelly.
Flyer 3D finished.jpg
I went with 2 servos for the ailerons in an attempt to make the control rods perpendicular to the hinge. It didn't work as well as I'd have liked, so I think if I were do it again, I'd just use a single servo.

Donity

I did a FT Flyer with ailerons. It functioned perfectly, but alas, I did not. It was an attempt at an easy to build 3D flyer so I did not add and dihedral to the wings. This made it very squirrelly. View attachment 228924 I went with 2 servos for the ailerons in an attempt to make the control rods perpendicular to the hinge. It didn't work as well as I'd have liked, so I think if I were do it again, I'd just use a single servo.

Sweet! I'm in the early stages of building this plane.
How did you decide where/how long to make the alierons? Did you put the servos near the rest of em

luvmy40

Elite member
Sweet! I'm in the early stages of building this plane.
How did you decide where/how long to make the alierons? Did you put the servos near the rest of em

I put the aileron servos mid wing and made the ailerons almost full length and wider than really needed for normal flight. As I said, I was going for a 3D acrobatic build. I have built the FT 3D and the Edge 540 and I wanted something to practice with that could be easily and quickly rebuilt when I smashed it.

FT Flyer 3D Smashed.jpg