How do you prefer to watch Flight Test

What do you watch Flight Test On?

• Total voters

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So the passive subwoofer has a filter to give medium frequencies to the med speakers and low frequencies to the sub? Sorry, I'm new to this...

John Campbell

So the passive subwoofer has a filter to give medium frequencies to the med speakers and low frequencies to the sub? Sorry, I'm new to this...

We are here to help... You are mostly right on the frequencies. In fact the passive subwoofer filters all of the LOWS (Very Lows usually around 20 to 200 HZ). All of the signal then continues on to the main woofers, Low Frequencies as well. Your main speakers will still have the same unfiltered frequencies, it just that the sub will take the sample it wants.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Oh, thanks then! I have something like that, but it's enough power for a bathroom... And all the subbase speakers they got here are for cars...

Manfet

acitve vs passive subs

Nice thing about passive is there is no adjustments to make and it always matches your system.
Sorry but in my opinion this is wrong. Because one of the important things in speakers is the impedance level of the speakers at different frequencies should always stay around the same level. And a passive system can have a big difference in impedance between the sub and the speakers if they are not matched to each other. If that is the case, then the sub is too loud or too quiet. If you take a modern setup you will split up the signals and amplify them each and by this you can adjust these leves by turning one up or down.

But I think you could say it like that.
"Nice thing about passive is that if you bought a whole system which is matched to each other you don't have to make any adjustments"

But also you can't make any adjustments when you want to watch a movie and have a little more power for the sub in it.

It certainly would if you take one of the massively tuned cars out of Fast Five :D:D

Yeah if you went for loudness. But there are people who want to have clear sound that has no peaks in different Frequency levels.

I am watching flitetest with my 2 Nubert 381@Yamaha RX-797 and a AW-441(active sub) or AKG 450 if I am on my laptop.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I am watching flitetest with my 2 Nubert 381@Yamaha RX-797 and a AW-441(active sub) or AKG 450 if I am on my laptop.

I didn´t get a single word from what that means except: I am watching flitest with bla bla bla bla or bla bla if I am on my laptop.

LOL!

I think you´ll always find something completely new to you...

John Campbell

Sorry but in my opinion this is wrong. Because one of the important things in speakers is the impedance level of the speakers at different frequencies should always stay around the same level. And a passive system can have a big difference in impedance between the sub and the speakers if they are not matched to each other. If that is the case, then the sub is too loud or too quiet. If you take a modern setup you will split up the signals and amplify them each and by this you can adjust these leves by turning one up or down.

I agree with you on the impedance. A good Passive Subwoofer doesn't affect the impedance. The components that it goes through maintain the impedance and does not affect the band width of the audio. My Passive Subwoofer never needs adjustment and is always perfect. I have had mine for approx 15 years and is in great shape. I dread the day I have to go a powered version.

My system is and always has been a mix match system that I put together myself... I have been working sound for a long time. My main speakers are 4 way with a Tweeter, Mid, & Woofer Combination. My main woofers are 15" with VERY heavy magnets. My sub (Passive) is 10" and sets aside from everything else. This is truly lows you cannot imagine when you want and need them and it really adds to a movie or especially a concert I set my front, center, and rear speakers fur a full live feel that I have only felt at live concerts.

Passive Subwoofers never need adjustments because they are always working the same wattage ratio as the main speakers. If you place everything correctly for your enviroment it works perfect every time.

John Campbell

I gave it a try this morning... the quality was amazing. The production values really show through when you see it blown up on a large screen.

You hit the nail on the head.. Quality, and Production Values. I think they do better than a lot of TV programs that air that they spend Millions per episode for.

John Campbell

No TV needed when you sit in front of a 2011 27" iMac. :)

Sounds Nice, But when you put it on 55" or better and then a nice surround sound sitting... It is hard to beat. The most you can look at is 1080. A higher resolution screen is not really going to make 1080 look any better.