Solved How gyro stabilization works?

Inq

Elite member
I've never used one of these Gryo Stabilization things. As I understand it... It controls the servos independently of the transmitter. The transmitter commands are basically "hints" of where to move them but the gyro makes sure the planes not out of control. I have a plane that uses elevons. It is also my understanding that it is the transmitter that does that digital mixing. In general... If I wanted to put a Gyro on a plane with only the two elevons... how do I configure the gyro servo outputs to represent elevons?

And more specifically... for an all-in-one unit like https://www.ebay.com/itm/224715939098. I assume this is meant for a very common type plastic ultra-lite plane. Those that looks like a Cessna, Mustang, etc. Does this receiver/gyro only work on planes where it assumes one servo is hooked to elevator and the other ailerons?

Thanks.

MrClean

I don't know the configuration and modes of a specific gyro, or mine either (haven't used that one yet) but a Gyro has sensors in it that, like your cell phone, feel the movements of the gyro, up/down, right/left, roll. It senses those movements, sees that there is no control movement and acts to counter them. So if you are flying straight and level and a gust of wind trys to roll and push you sideways your gyro moves the ailerons and rudder to keep the plane straight while adjust elevator to keep you from climbing or diving. Seeings how electronic do this at incredispeeds YOU don't even see it. What you see is a plane thats flying straight and level and going where you want it too. Exciting is switching off the model and finding out how much the built in aerodynamic stability does by itself and how much the gyro does while on. We learn to compensate for these changes by visual identification of deviation from path, from 100s of feet away. The gyro does it the instant that it feels deviation and corrects it accordingly. Makes your flying look like the plane is on glass, even light ones.
Because it does this through preset channels controlling set surfaces you would need specific setups for flying wings and unique control surfaces. I haven't looked but I'm sure they have those, they'd be missing out on quite a bit of market.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... how do I configure the gyro servo outputs to represent elevons?... for an all-in-one unit like https://www.ebay.com/itm/224715939098. ....Does this receiver/gyro only work on planes where it assumes one servo is hooked to elevator and the other ailerons?...
I first thought you could not program the gyros on that unit.
Then I read the instruction at the bottom of the listing, it appears you can program the gyros on this unit for standard tail, Vtail and elevons. Very interesting unit.

I think the unit assumes pitch and roll. On a 3 channel the rudder usually controls the roll.

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
I want to do a powered glider. I'm trying to get it under the 250 mg weight (as a self-abuse challenge) and use a 1S system on it. I thought while I'm at it, it might be nice to explore this Gyro stuff.

I first thought you could not program the gyros on that unit. Then I read the instruction at the bottom of the listing, it appears you can program the gyros on this unit for standard tail, Vtail and elevons.

Yeah, I saw V-tail, but I didn't see Elevons. I even downloaded the configuring program. But the thing is... it says it's a "USB configuration tool", but there isn't a USB port on the tiny thing. It's only 1 sq-in and that includes the receiver, gyro and two servos.

Inq

Elite member
Im thinking this is the programmer. Looks like it will plug into a servo port.
https://www.buzzardmodels.com/mxusb-pg02

More info here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...rossOver-RX-Flight-Stabilization#post48243107

Thank you! I installed the program and it complained about not seeing the port, but I hadn't gotten that far. So I need some more hardware to program it. I have a couple of questions out to the vendor for extra servos and making sure I have all the right connectors... but I'm glad you pointed that out. Saved me from a second order and another shipping charged. Got kind of spoiled with the Amazon Prime.

dap35

Elite member
Typically, if a gyro is seperate from the RX, then you HAVE to do all of the programming on the gyro and all of the servo's are connected to the gyro - not the RX. I have used the Aura 5 a lot, and for that, you program the Aura with the plan type (ie elevon's + rudder), and it mixes the inputs from the TX.