how many live where opportunities to get out and fly are lousy? how do you cope?

Marzipan

it's a literal perfect storm giving little chance to fly here...bad weather and horrible geography.

it's usually raining (240 days / year, historically), always a breeze, if not actually windy and due to how small our city is, the three no-fly zones from our municipal airport, hospital helipad and waterfront aerodrome / heliport, pretty much cover all of the city. we have an MAAC recognized site, whos location really confused me as it's within the 1 nautical mile no-fly zone around the hospital helipad; literally a stones throw away (50m). then I learned about exceptions for clubs with MAAC approved fields, unless there is flight activity. it's a small area though, just over 100m x 100m. there are several other sites around the same size...but all within said no-fly zones. I wonder if a club can have more than one approved / recognized site.

horrible geography as the city is on the north side of an island where everything not developed is mountain or forested. the two clear spots outside the no-fly zones are the municipal dump and a dept. of hwy gravel pit, so not an option either. going inland, the next MAAC site is a 4.5 hour drive and everything in between is steep valley walls of costal mountains with the bottom being taken up by the width of the Skeena river, which if you didn't know was a river, would think is a lake it's so wide.

so bah humbug, LoL!

how do you cope? I thought of UMX and gymnasiums, but the schools have been told no non-school events because of COVID. they want to avoid the hassle / costs of all the extra measures needed to clean up and sanitize / sterilize once they're over. I also have the impression there is something of a rift between the NCRCF and the city administration, so access to their gym / civic facilities and such are unlikely. and the golf club that hugs the edge of Mt. Hays is entirely covered by the hospital helipad zone too. Lol!

so, between work / life / weather and ballpark being free, there is not much opportunity to fly.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
it's a literal perfect storm giving little chance to fly here...bad weather and horrible geography.

it's usually raining (240 days / year, historically), always a breeze, if not actually windy and due to how small our city is, the three no-fly zones from our municipal airport, hospital helipad and waterfront aerodrome / heliport, pretty much cover all of the city. we have an MAAC recognized site, whos location really confused me as it's within the 1 nautical mile no-fly zone around the hospital helipad; literally a stones throw away (50m). then I learned about exceptions for clubs with MAAC approved fields, unless there is flight activity. it's a small area though, just over 100m x 100m. there are several other sites around the same size...but all within said no-fly zones. I wonder if a club can have more than one approved / recognized site.

horrible geography as the city is on the north side of an island where everything not developed is mountain or forested. the two clear spots outside the no-fly zones are the municipal dump and a dept. of hwy gravel pit, so not an option either. going inland, the next MAAC site is a 4.5 hour drive and everything in between is steep valley walls of costal mountains with the bottom being taken up by the width of the Skeena river, which if you didn't know was a river, would think is a lake it's so wide.

so bah humbug, LoL!

how do you cope? I thought of UMX and gymnasiums, but the schools have been told no non-school events because of COVID. they want to avoid the hassle / costs of all the extra measures needed to clean up and sanitize / sterilize once they're over. I also have the impression there is something of a rift between the NCRCF and the city administration, so access to their gym / civic facilities and such are unlikely. and the golf club that hugs the edge of Mt. Hays is entirely covered by the hospital helipad zone too. Lol!

so, between work / life / weather and ballpark being free, there is not much opportunity to fly.

Usually isn't there a contract or agreement signed between clubs using school facilities about being responsible for clean up and or damages? I am sure they just don't open the doors for anyone to just walk in and start doing things. Another place that people use for those micro planes and quadcopters is local churches with large enough property or a big enough space to fly in. @LitterBug always posts videos of various indoor facilities he goes to during winter.

Marzipan

Usually isn't there a contract or agreement signed between clubs using school facilities about being responsible for clean up and or damages? I am sure they just don't open the doors for anyone to just walk in and start doing things. Another place that people use for those micro planes and quadcopters is local churches with large enough property or a big enough space to fly in. @LitterBug always posts videos of various indoor facilities he goes to during winter.

because of COVID they require the extra action to be taken after an event ends...so nothing more than school related activities are allowed. and up here you have to 'rent' them and there are fees.

and we're a very small town, there are no big churches...nothing like with vaulted ceilings or anything anyhow.

bisco

Elite member
i fly at local ball parks/soccer fields, and one conservation area. i'm not comfortable with anything fast, or over 34" wing span.
for the smallest areas, i fly a sport cub s2, or umx turbo timber. for the larger areas, i fly the simple cub and tiny trainer, along with an fms ranger 850.
weather is often iffy, especially wind, and the turbo timber handles it best with as3x and safe.

L Edge

Master member
Is there an industrial park in the area?

After talking to the owner and getting permission, the workers leave at 4 PM. So we use the parking lot for flying. Has lights, so we even get to fly at night in fall and winter. Learned to even fly choppers(no gyros at all).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
because of COVID they require the extra action to be taken after an event ends...so nothing more than school related activities are allowed. and up here you have to 'rent' them and there are fees.

and we're a very small town, there are no big churches...nothing like with vaulted ceilings or anything anyhow.

Ahh yes.. the added sanitizing for covid... I live in a mainly dairy farm community. They have other concerns and not one seems to be interested in flying toys. I know about that whole flying alone thing all to well.

Marzipan

Is there an industrial park in the area?

After talking to the owner and getting permission, the workers leave at 4 PM. So we use the parking lot for flying. Has lights, so we even get to fly at night in fall and winter. Learned to even fly choppers(no gyros at all).

nothing really. I just discovered what appears to be a clear cut in the trees at the end of the industrial park, but no idea of how old it is or how clear it may be. I'll have to go check it out...but since none of the guys at the club have mentioned it, I'll take that spot as unlikely.

I might have to check out the lil shooting range. it's layout is kinda awkward...but there is a space that's about 150m x 30m. would only be able to use it when nobody else was there though, since if the plane goes down you can't exactly walk down range while live...and the trap / skeet guys might get a bit too squirrelly on you, LoL!