How often do you crash?

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Usually I call a crash, any time I broke something with an impact to the ground. It ranges from light crashes like braking a prop to catastrophic crashes in a complete reconstruction of the aircraft. I mostly brake props, at least twice a day. Kind of aggravating to me.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Ah Kurt, breaking a prop is just a slightly hard landing. Catastrophic destruction of the airframe is considered a moderate crash.

Haven't you ever fished? ;)

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Ah Kurt, breaking a prop is just a slightly hard landing. Catastrophic destruction of the airframe is considered a moderate crash.

Haven't you ever fished? ;)

I don't fly over water... But yes I do go fishing, usually not catching though.

davet42

I would probably say I don't crash my bix2 very often at all, I buddy my dad on the plane we call "schrek" often, and i have managed to save that plane that many times, until yesterday.... its up the biggest pine tree now.... and i think it is staying there lol. Had a fair bit of rain last night. I have just got a kinetic 815, still in the process of setting it up since i crashed it on its maiden due to incredibly high wind and my fail of balancing.

When it comes to multi rotors..... hav'nt got such a great history. I took a few months to learn the basics to not crash but it took me a long time to be able to fly a figure 8 and operate yaw for a smooth flowing pattern. Then i have had some doozy's with unreliable components lol. I have had a disarm at 12m, motors come off doing flips 25m up, props flying apart, brownouts, lockouts, problems i never found an answer to, but finally i am at a point where my multirotor flights have been pretty uneventful in the crashing aspect for a while now.

But now i never get to fly because uni work takes up all my time :((((( (just ordered an fpv250 though :p hehehehe) And i just got some BaseSd's so I'm super keen to actually finally get into fpv. (had bad fpv crash history too.... damn cheap turnigy reciever kept locking out but i could never figure it out....until now! New Frsky stuff is bawz.

ViperTech

Well to answer the thread today, EVERY TIME I FLY here lately! I built my 1st ft22 and flew it well and expected to crash it and learn but the second ft22 I have crashed every time out. My son says I am afraid of since I wrecked my first one and am being too timid with it. Of course hes been flying his a grand total of about 4 weeks and showing off flying inverted 3 foot off the ground with it. He is a pain in the butt! Still makes me smile to see him fly it!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I've gotten really good at avoiding crashes. I wish I would have recorded my maiden yesterday because it was some horrible flying. Maybe it was great flying. I didn't fly it for very long and "crashed" both flights. But I was able to keep them light enough to not damage anything. So they don't count as crashes. Just unexpected landings. It may have actually been good piloting because my undercambered wings created too much lift which made the plane look tail heavy, even though I know it wasn't. And I put way too much throw on my elevator. Which resulted in an unflyable plane.

But I really need to learn how to balance throttle with elevator so my plane doesn't erratically go up and down.

I once went to the feild with 3 planes, and came back with all three in one peice. the first one had a bad battery, the second one, I forgot I took the receiver out, and the third I had taken the ESC out to power a servo tester. I also forgot to bring my transmitter. SUPER fun day, it was actually a nice dinner at Mary's Pizza Shack.

Brighton_Till_I_Fly

I crashed today my fault ignoring my low voltage alarm!

You get good days and bad I've had days where I've crashed and my buddies crash and we all go home broken.

I think the key is flying little and often, so that your well practised but not bored from flying too much (like flying the same thing/place all the time) OR going crazy from pent up from lack of flying and rusty from not flying enough.

Hope that make sense.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I tend to crash at least once every time I go out and fly. I don't have a runway at any of my fields I fly at so I tend to belly land pretty hard in the grass during most landings. Unintentional contact with the ground occurs every now and then, but luckily I am trained pretty well to cut throttle and land pretty softly. Catastrophic crashes with damage luckily have only occurred to me when something breaks or fails in flight. Like Brighton_Till_I_Fly is getting at, I think more crashes occur when you get complacent and don't respect the wonder that is flying.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

I will admit, I rarely crash with my fixed wing aircraft. Occasionally with the tricopter, and several times a flight with my 250 sized quads.

canuck

I never crash, I'm much too good a pilot. I have landed firmly but it took only a few minutes to dig the engine out of the clay. Then there was the time I stress tested a friends new airplane. I turned out it was poorly built and could stand the landing stresses. I enjoy having a stress free day and this is one way I accomplish that. Hope you all have successful flights. :D

BigAl07

At the risk of sounding conceited/snobbish. . .

I fly something outdoors (quad, heli, plank) almost on average 2x-3x a week (during good weather 7x week) and other than a "topple over" with my 350 quad from landing on uneven ground I've been VERY lucky. I'm flying the same planes & props now for over a year. With that being said when I fly my GeeBee I rarely ever land in such a fashion as I can taxi back to the flight station because it almost always noses over on landing (grass runway, top heavy structure, short tail moment and overly squirrely plane) but it does so in a manner that doesn't cause any damage.

Now if we're talking about indoor flying (NanoQX etc) I crash a lot because ceiling fans and guests seem to draw aircraft towards them LOL.