• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How slow can you go

I am enjoying all of the Flite Test videos on youtube. Inside the cockpit, getting behind the plane is a bad thing. Inexperienced RC fliers like myself want to stay ahead of the aircraft until we ease into flying a little faster and getting comfortable.
So here is the challenge: Create aircraft in the swappable configuration, either with the standard, or mighty mini size power pods. Have a competition between hosts focusing on how slow the aircraft can fly. Could be a real fun episode having "slow races", and a great test of design.

Ever fly like that? It's way harder than it appears including odd responses from surface movement to wind buffeted path diversions
Absolutely true. The beach or somewhere perfectly flat with steady wind is the only way to do this well. The problem is how the wind is being redirected by ground objects creating micro eddies.

As most pilots learn as students, once airborne, the craft becomes part of the moving airmass and hence there is no “headwind/tailwind/crosswind” except in relationship to the ground. In R/C, we are always so low that everything is in relationship to the ground.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ever fly like that? It's way harder than it appears including odd responses from surface movement to wind buffeted path diversions
I intentionally fly like that in the Reflex Flight sim. That sim allows the user to set Beaufort levels or like wind direction as well as degree of change in wind direction, wind speed even drafts in ether direction. Or just set a level and have it act random. I practice with bi planes taking off, landing, rolling, knife edges while trying to stay in one place over the runway. Works great for learning throttle control and not to be ham fisted on ailerons and elevator specially when you use those conditions to try and fly as close to the ground as possible.

YES actually! I do it with my FT trainer all the time. We have plenty o wind at our field buffeted by tree lines and grain silos.

Here's a video with my UMX Turbo Timber in 10-12 MPH winds. The AS3X helps quite a bit on it.

Last edited:
Actually, as long as you have a steady wind, you can fly it in one spot.

2 examples --go to time of 1:25 and if I had a steady wind for a longer length, it would stay stationary.

I have a UMX turbo timber that with a steady wind and in AS3X and the flaps either 1/2 or full down, you can take off almost vertical (you apply throttle and pick up tail until horizontal and hold it there, pop throttle and a lot of down elevator, go almost straight up (use rudder and stay put) and land it by controlling it down.

How about this?

YES actually! I do it with my FT trainer all the time. We have plenty o wind at our field buffeted by tree lines and grain silos.

Here's a video with my UMX Turbo Timber in 10-12 MPH winds. The AS3X helps quite a bit on it.
Since the trees in the background don't visibly move except some branches every once in a while, I've got to call that a calm day for where I live. Looks pretty smooth, too.

Last edited:
Since the trees in the background don't visibly move except some branches every once in a while, I've got to call that a calm day for where I live. Looks pretty smooth, too.
I will say, that was an almost perfect day for plane surfing. Fairly steady 10-12 MPH wind with little gusting and through an open end of the field with little disturbance or cross buffeting.

Here is the Tiny trainer on a very much gusty day where surfing was nearly impossible despite the high winds because of the swirling, gusting, and cross buffeting.

Last edited:
Much better. Looks like you are working hard just to keep it airborne and the mic noise says it was about 20+. so to fly backwards any distance you might need 25 on your TT and I bet that's a handful
Yeah, it was 20+ with gusts on top of that. The gusting and swirling made it nearly impossible to fly that day. I can't even remember what we were doing at the field that day, but I never hesitate to take the FT TT out no matter how bad it gets. LOL I've always flown it as a 3 channel, but have been working on the Aileron wing for some more "Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge." Thinking about some 4S, 6S, and EDF fun. LOL

1634520177961.png

Yeah, it was 20+ with gusts on top of that. The gusting and swirling made it nearly impossible to fly that day. I can't even remember what we were doing at the field that day, but I never hesitate to take the FT TT out no matter how bad it gets. LOL I've always flown it as a 3 channel, but have been working on the Aileron wing for some more "Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge." Thinking about some 4S, 6S, and EDF fun. LOL

View attachment 209997
Our tiny trainer met its demise yesterday in such conditions (with a 7 year old at the helm). The back of the fuse snapped and it went in the trash. Had I known about the challenge, I would have had half a mind to tape it up and make a delta wing for it.