TREX500ePRO Configuration

Charlie Jr

I purchased my subject Heli from a third party who had replaced the flybar with a flybarless head and I have a DX9 radio. The heli has a MICROBEAST Pro for stabilization. I went through the BEAST manual and checked the settings, most are default or normal.

I am having trouble getting the head speed to respond to my throttle linearly. The problem is that when I pull back on the throttle then try to spin back up the response is virtually nill till I close down the throttle completely. WHY??? Not sure if this is a setting on the radio, on the BEAST or one the ESC.
I want only to fly the Heli heads up so NEVER negative pitch.

I set the DX9 throttle curve to 0-45-60-60-60. I set the pitch curve to minus 5 then 10-20-30.....100.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I purchased my subject Heli from a third party who had replaced the flybar with a flybarless head and I have a DX9 radio. The heli has a MICROBEAST Pro for stabilization. I went through the BEAST manual and checked the settings, most are default or normal.

I am having trouble getting the head speed to respond to my throttle linearly. The problem is that when I pull back on the throttle then try to spin back up the response is virtually nill till I close down the throttle completely. WHY??? Not sure if this is a setting on the radio, on the BEAST or one the ESC.
I want only to fly the Heli heads up so NEVER negative pitch.

I set the DX9 throttle curve to 0-45-60-60-60. I set the pitch curve to minus 5 then 10-20-30.....100.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Sounds like the ESC is set on governor mode. This is standard practice for how most CP helis are configured, including full scale helis. Ideally, the ESC governs the motor to a constant RPM, and power is varied by collective pitch.

Charlie Jr

If I understand you correctly, I somehow need to set my throttle curve to the same value at all stick positions (like 50-50-50-50-etc) and figure out accept that the motor will start once I place the Throttle Hold switch in the off position and use that same switch to stop the motor. right?

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
If I understand you correctly, I somehow need to set my throttle curve to the same value at all stick positions (like 50-50-50-50-etc) and figure out accept that the motor will start once I place the Throttle Hold switch in the off position and use that same switch to stop the motor. right?

Yes, that's fairly standard practice. Some people set up a flight mode switch to switch between different throttle curves as well, sometime leaving Bank 0 with Either a linear curve or no throttle at all for safety.

A few more notes on governor operation. There are 2 extremes to avoid in setting your throttle curve value. Too high, and the motor won't be able to keep up, and you'll hear the RPM drop under load. Too low, and the ESC can generate excess heat and cause a thermal shutdown. For this reason, its best to keep your throttle curves between 70%-90%. If you want to change your head speed outside of this range, you need a mechanical change in the system, such as a different motor or pinion gear.

One more Certain newer ESCs (Hobbywing and Scorpion) have a newer technology called active freewheeling. This opens up the governor range a bit more, from 55%-90%. I suspect you are running the stock ESC, which predates this tech.

Also, a note on headspeed. If you are just starting out with CP helis, I'd recommend starting out on the lower end, around 75%. Lower RPM will be a bit less snappy and result in longer flight times.

I hope this helps!

Charlie Jr

Yes, that's fairly standard practice. Some people set up a flight mode switch to switch between different throttle curves as well, sometime leaving Bank 0 with Either a linear curve or no throttle at all for safety.

A few more notes on governor operation. There are 2 extremes to avoid in setting your throttle curve value. Too high, and the motor won't be able to keep up, and you'll hear the RPM drop under load. Too low, and the ESC can generate excess heat and cause a thermal shutdown. For this reason, its best to keep your throttle curves between 70%-90%. If you want to change your head speed outside of this range, you need a mechanical change in the system, such as a different motor or pinion gear.

One more Certain newer ESCs (Hobbywing and Scorpion) have a newer technology called active freewheeling. This opens up the governor range a bit more, from 55%-90%. I suspect you are running the stock ESC, which predates this tech.

Also, a note on headspeed. If you are just starting out with CP helis, I'd recommend starting out on the lower end, around 75%. Lower RPM will be a bit less snappy and result in longer flight times.

I hope this helps!
Yes, it does. In fact, I was thinking about your comment "Bank 0" which, if I understand correctly, is having the "0" position of the Flight Mode switch's throttle level set to 0 for all throttle level positions. That would provide a more safe situation in case I hit the Throttle Hold switch by accident when I am not ready to fly. I would then set flight mode switch position 2 to 75% for all lever positions.