I felt like a pilot for the first time today

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
After a few weeks of trying to tune my new RR5 Alien I finally had one of those moments.

In a car or on a dirt bike or in a race car you have a physical connection to that vehicle. You can feel what is happening as the forces of motion push against you making you react to that and not what your eyes see. With FPV on an RC aircraft you do not have that physical connection. (unless you are unlucky and bean yourself with the aircraft) Today I had a connection with my quad. It was just as amazing as going down a track well over 150 mph.

Despite the windy conditions and the nerves I had the amazing experience to actually feel what the quad was doing and where IT wanted to go. It was so strange to feel the wind physically pushing on me as I sat at the bench flying but perceptibly zero effect on the quad. I have had this feeling before when racing where you get that adrenaline rush and your hands shake and you legs get rubbery and tunnel vision sets in as your heart speeds up. That point where it all comes into focus and nothing around you exists except for what you are doing that very instant. THIS is what I was hoping to get from all this practice and effort.

These videos are by far not spectacular in comparison to a lot that are out there it was the feeling that made the flights special. See if you can catch a little of what I felt at all by watching them. All comments are welcome if you felt anything let me know. If you think I'm goofy you are welcome to say so as I have heard that many times. I just want to know if I am reaching that special part of what FPV flight is all about.

This one is a tad loud and there was that one "Oh crap" moment that ended in "How the @!#$ did I pull that off" type thing. I had to stop at that point as I did not want to tempt fate.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sweet!! Congrats!! :applause:

I miss that feeling from the old days of dirt bike racing. Haven't quite got to that point with the quads yet, but I'm hoping to. :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I need to quit building so many things, get more stick time, and learn to tune. I REALLY want to feel that! Right now I am just giving general directions and it loosely follows. Don't have anything resembling locked in.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

Ocean

I think once you get it clicks that your quad is just an extension of your body FPV becomes a whole lot easier.

Nice flying man, remember we all have to start somewhere.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think once you get it clicks that your quad is just an extension of your body FPV becomes a whole lot easier.

Nice flying man, remember we all have to start somewhere.

I have "been there" in the past flying flight simulators (mostly x-plane) and many many hours playing Descent. This is a modified extension to that experience especially the real carnage. I Also practice with FPV Freerider which has saved me an indeterminate amount of Frames, Props, batteries, and charging cycles. It's ALL good!

Happy Flying!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanx Ocean. A complement while we are having a debate in another thread means a lot mate. Hopefully that feeling stays around now.

LB. I fly a snot load of time on Freerider. Matter of fact I just downloaded the latest update that was linked in my email to try later. As for tuning I am still pretty clueless what I am working with. I just picked up on what Skitzo said and demonstrated in his latest how to tune video and am doing it strictly by high res video and feel. Keep playing with the numbers in small to medium changes and learn what it all changes. Just work on one specific thing at a time. The rest falls into place once you get that first round done.