I finally built my first racing drone! But...

Cookieman10101

View attachment IMAG07622.jpg

I love this thing and its got some amazing power. But one thing I didn't expect was the camera having such a small field of view. when I bought the camera I saw it said 110 degree FOV, but I assumed that it would be fine (pretty awesome mistake huh?). Whenever I fly I get very disoriented and freak out because I think i'm gonna hit a tree or something. I just can't really see where i'm going.

This is the camera: https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-10...SC-PAL-Switchable-p-1053340.html?rmmds=search

I've been flying FPV alot on this guy: https://www.gearbest.com/brushless-fpv-racer/pp_639631.html
the kingkong has a 150 degree field of view

So I purchased this 150 degree lens for my Eachine 1000tvl: https://www.banggood.com/2_1mm-150-...e-FPV-Camera-Lens-p-1069907.html?rmmds=search

Now to my question. How closely will this look too my kingkong lens i'm used too? Is the camera itself to blame more than the lens?

Thanks everyone!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
FOV can do funny things. The same FOV when used in a 4:3 view screen will look drastically different then when viewed on a 16:9 view screen. Personally for racing I like 4:3 on a 2.5mm lens. That gives the most accurate sense of speed and has very little fish eye or height squishing. the faster you are able to fly the less you want in the screen for distraction. For aerial photography its great and even for freestyle it can be good as you are not zooming around close to things.

I will bet you are a gamer that is used to widescreen views. You can see what I mean if you use a flight sim at all. Kids flying with 120 degree FOV using 25 degree camera tilt and 45 throttle settings in freerider look like they are whippin around the board when in fact they are super slow. I fly with 55 degree camera tilt and 50 degree fov with 90 throttle setting and it looks slower then the wide screen users but in reality that should be more like flying triple the speed.

Like the top freestyle pilots using gopros and super view. They are only flying 25 -30 degree tilt but the super view is so wide and there is so much more passing by the camera it looks like they are moving really fast but they really are not.

Cookieman10101

Yes your right, I am used to 16:9. my goggles are box goggles and are 16:9. so, would 110 degrees look better on 4:3? And would 150 look worse on 4:3? thanks!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I started flying on a 7 inch monitor with a 2.8 mm lens in 16:9 and that was not too bad. The edges were not super distorted. When I switched to the 4:3 goggles everything got smooshed so I looked into lens and that was about the time everyone was swapping over to the go pro replacement 2.5 mm lens and that's what I have been using since. I have no idea what the FOV combinations are for either set up though so I can not answer in the form you are asking.

Cookieman10101

YESS, I think I figured it out. I changed my goggles to 4:3 mode (forgot it even had that) and flew around inside a bit and it was hugely improved. We'll know for sure when it stops raining. "Here in Washington (state) we don't tan, we rust!" thanks again for the help!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
haha Thanks for the giggles.. its 2:30 am here and that whole rust thing made me laugh. Glad you are finding the way you wish to have things set up. It can be a daunting task without proper information.