I Need help

Snoweh

Hi im planing on building my first plane i was going to use the FT 22 Kit but i was wondering what other parts i should use to keep price as low as possible, I dont have anything at all not even transmitter.

I was also wondering what tools i would need?

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forums but it felt like the right place

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You have some busy days ahead! It's a good busy though, so don't worry!
First off, Welcome! I hope you find it comfy and cozy over here as so many have before you.

Ok, now to answer your questions, you need to answer a few of ours. They aren't hard ones but will help us get you started right.
How low is low? You can get a budget transmitter (also called a radio or Tx for short) for about $30-40, but if you are planning on having more than one plane, will quickly become not enough. A better choice, and more expensive, (of course) is a computer radio, that can be programmed with a number of models and save them. So now when you go to fly, you just select the correct model in the radio, and all your settings come up and you don't have to reconfigure everything. Even these can be had for fairly cheap, with some of the basic computer models running from about $50 and up.
Another thing to consider is what type of flying you want to eventually do? Depending on the type of planes you want to fly can have a direct impact on the type of radio you want to get.
Where are you located is also important? It is important since availability and rules are different for different countries.
Tools will also be dependent on your budget and area of interest, and again, your location.

Last edited:

Snoweh

My budget is about $100 - $150.
Im looking to do just flying for fun and at some point maybe racing with a friend (when i get another plane)
I live in the UK so i dont know laws or rules or what ever.

Thanks for helping me :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
My budget is about $100 - $150.
Im looking to do just flying for fun and at some point maybe racing with a friend (when i get another plane)
I live in the UK so i dont know laws or rules or what ever.

Thanks for helping me :)
No worries, Snoweh. Glad to help out a new pilot!
To keep the budget low, you are going to get a bunch of suggestions for product from Hobbyking. If you can't get it locally it's probably the cheapest option going. One other one is going to be Banggood. Another Chinese company so be sure to use Paypal.
For a basic list, you need the following:
To build;
A place to build. A table or workbench is really all you need. A cutting mat on top of that will keep everyone happy and keep the workspace the way it is when you started.
For cutting you can use utility knife blades. Much cheaper than exacto blades and won't hurt the pocket as much when you toss a dull one and reach for a fresh one. Don't be afraid to toss a blade! Foam will dull your blades faster than you think and a dull blade will ball up the foam instead of cutting it. If you feel or see little chunks in the edge of your cuts, time for a fresh blade. Metal rulers can be a huge help when cutting straight lines. Quick tip for cutting, use a few light passes to cut through instead of one hard pass. You get better results this way.
You are also going to need a hot glue gun. What type will depend on what you have already or what you can get locally. A high temp gun will be best if you are keeping your planes in a hot car when not flying.
That is about it for building except that you should try to find a local supplier to get some foamboard. The guys have suggested, and it's really a good idea, that you use the laser cut kit as a template to make your own kit. Just trace the kit parts onto your own foamboard and cut that out. You will always have the kit ready to make a new one when you crash. And you will crash, it's just a part of the hobby and it will happen. These planes are durable but not indestructible. But by having a new plane just a few cuts and some hot glue away is a nice feeling and can mean all the difference!
On to the radio:
Here is where you need to know just a few things first. Make sure whatever radio you get, you can get receivers for it! Nothing stinks like loosing a receiver and no longer being able to use that radio! You usually don't lose the Rx(receiver) but it can happen, say you land the plane in a 15-20m tree. Or manage to find the only lake within 6 kilometers...
This one is $30 and comes with a Rx(they also stock more just in case) and is what I would consider the bare minimum. It will do what you need but has no model memory, it does have delta mixing which you will need on the F22. It may not be this radio but I did hear about some issues with delta mixing on one of the cheaper radios.
This radio is a better choice since not only does it have model memory, 9 channels and able to be programmed for a variety of planes, it's an open software/firmware radio. With a minimum of modifications that can be done later or not at all if you don't want to, you can change this one to make it even better. One other big feature on this one is it's module based, which means later if you want to go to a different protocol or get some bind and fly planes, all you have to do is swap out the module!

Once you have the radio and build area sorted, all that's left is servos, battery, ESC or electronic speed controller, motor and props. The guys at lazertoys have put together full packs that have everything you need, but I just checked their page and they are out of stock on the power packs.
Servos will be 9g type and these or these will work just fine.

You will need some linkage stoppers, these or these will work. The first one is smaller but is harder to work with due to the clip...

On to the motor. You need a 22xx type of outrunner. The first number in the motor designation is the diameter of the motor can and the second is the stator height. This won't mean much to you yet but it will help you find reasonable replacements if you can't find the exact motor in stock. The other number to pay attention to is the Kv rating. This tells you how fast the unloaded motor will spin per volt. Kv is also important for finding a reasonable replacement. The recommended motor for the F22 is a Suppo 2208/14 1450kv. This motor is close to that and will spin a 9x4.5 prop with no trouble. I would pick up a few different props to have spares and to try some different sizes later. Get some 9x4.5 and some 8x6 for now. Those will both work with that motor and not over draw it.

Any ESC 15A or over will work, but Plush seems to be the standard of the cheaper ESCs and also seems to be the cheapest in stock right now...

For the battery, they recommend a 3S, anywhere from a 500mAh to a 1300mAh. More mAh will mean more flight time but more weight. I would go with something more middle of the road so you balance the two. This one is only a 20C discharge so will safely supply up to 20amps [20C x 1A(1000mAh)] which you will be using around 10A with the motor I recommended.

You are going to need connectors and heat shrink. The batteries come with a JST installed. These would work if they weren't on backorder. These might have to do you. Get some heat shrink for the connections. You also will need to grab some bullet connectors. These are for the motor to ESC connection. Put the hollow ones on the ESC and the prongs on the motor. Since all the normal connectors are out of stock, You can get these and just cut the wire in the center and solder them to the motor and ESC wires. Again, put the socket or hollow side on the ESC, and the protruding side on the motor. The reason is you want the "hot" side to be protected so it can't short against anything.

I have been speaking of soldering, but I don't know if you have a soldering iron or any experience with one. If not, I can link a video that can get you started. Hopefully I have given you enough to get started...

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Welcome to the forum, and more importantly, welcome to the hobby. I really like to push for people just getting into this wonderful hobby to use a simulator first. RC Desk Pilot is free and will teach you the basics. To make life easier, I suggest getting a transmitter that can be plugged into a computer so you can learn to fly with the simulator using the transmitter you're going to use in real life. (Contrary to what Hobby King says, you can't use their T6 as a sim controller.) But it's not a bad idea to buy a USB game controller that is shaped like a transmitter. Hobby King sells one for $15. You can only use it as a sim controller (or game controller), but it's still cheaper than having to buy a new plane right away.

Here are most of the add on planes I've made for RC Desk Pilot. I admit that some of them aren't the most realistic.

I should say that the reason why I push for people to use the sim first is because I tried to teach myself to fly and I broke way too many planes / spent too much money before I got to the point where I can have a successful flight. The winter was too harsh for me to even bother trying to fly so I stuck with the simulator and I'm pretty sure I vastly improved my flying skills over the winter.

It certainly is possible to get started in this hobby for around $100. But using a sim first will help you to get your first plane to last you a lot longer.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I almost forgot! You will need a charger for your lipo packs. This one is again the bare minimum, but will work. Do yourself a favor though. As soon as you can, get a programmable charger with an LCD screen. They will tell you things about your battery that will help you take better care of your packs and will actually save you money in the long run! This one is pretty popular and is one that I own as well. VERY happy with it and it's functionality! it will charge all the chemistries you'll probably ever need and is priced right.

I think that's it. At least for the bare minimum...if there's anything left in the budget, we can talk about the next level.

Snoweh

Hey thanks for the help, i have used the rcdesk sim before i got my first RTF plane.

I dont have any experience with solder and i dont have a solder iron :/ is there any other way or should i find someone with one im sure i could.

Sorry for not replying yesturday but i went to sleep

ofiesens2

Professional noob
For your FT F22 you will need 2 of each servos and linkage stoppers.

Xuzme, can you buy different plugs for the Turnigy Accucel 6? I see that stock, it comes with an XT-60 and a couple others that I didn't recognize, but all my batteries have JST connectors. Does HK sell those adaptor/plug/connector/thingies?

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Just a quick question... What made you decide on the FT-22? Seems to me there might be better first planes out there to help get your feet wet. Something with dihedral (like the FT Flyer) will certainly help take the frustration out of the first few flights... and besides, don't think for one second that your hangar will only have one plane in it. You would only be kidding yourself. I went from one plane to 20 in a year. [pumps fist in the air] Darn you Flite Test!!

If you do decide on the FT 22 you will absolutely want a programmable radio to take the rocket science out of elevon mixing. Just my .02. Welcome to the hobby!

Snoweh

I decided when i watched the flite test video on it i have seen almost all of their kits and it looks the best and from the video seems the best

Snoweh

I decided when i watched the flite test video on it i have seen almost all of their kits and it looks the best and from the video seems the best also i plan on having more than 1 plane and allready have a couple of helicopters and multirotors (rtf)

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I decided when i watched the flite test video on it i have seen almost all of their kits and it looks the best and from the video seems the best also i plan on having more than 1 plane and allready have a couple of helicopters and multirotors (rtf)

Okie Dokie.

Enjoy your build, and as with any DTFB plane make sure to trace out a couple extra planes worth of parts before building!

Snoweh

I have added up all the cost and it should come to around $130 - $140 so thanks.

But do i need a solder?

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
But do i need a solder?

That will largely depend on the electronics you buy Your servos should have the necessary plugs already soldered on, and unless you get a pinless receiver, which are not common for this application, you should be good to go there. The only place you will need a soldering iron is if your ESC needs a battery connector or your ESC and/or motor needs bullet connectors added. Usually you can get an ESC and Motor with the necessary harware already attached for a very small extra fee, just make sure that all the connectors are compatible. For example, if your ESC has a Deans style battery connector, make sure your battery does too. Also make sure that your ESC and motor have the same size bullet connectors.

If you are in the US, I highly recommend using HURC (Heads Up RC) in Florida. I believe they sell everything you need with connectors added, and at a very reasonable price to boot. You can give them a call to make sure you are getting everything you need, as they are very accomodating.

EDIT: Long story short, there really is no reason to NOT have a soldering iron in this hobby, since you will evertually need one. Might as well add it to the list.

Snoweh

If you are in the US, I highly recommend using HURC (Heads Up RC) in Florida. I believe they sell everything you need with connectors added, and at a very reasonable price to boot. You can give them a call to make sure you are getting everything you need, as they are very accomodating.

Im in the UK so im buying from hobbyking is there any that you know for the uk that can do with the connectors added?

Snoweh

Im sure if i really get into buiding planes and stuff i will buy a solder iron but i dont want to spend to much when im just starting.
I dont know of any hobby shops or sites in the uk apart from quadcopters.co.uk but they really only sell quadcopters