If a LiPo is 500 mAh should you only charge at 0.5A?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Yes that is a safe rule.

6A might bring spectacular results with that battery such as fire....explosion....insurance company adjusters...etc...YMMV! :p

Thurmond

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
This battery has a max charge rate of 2C which for this battery is only 1.0A. Charging at 6A would likely damage the battery. Charging at 1.0A would be faster, but will shorten the battery life in the long run compared to just 1C (0.5A).

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Allways keep it to no more then 0.1A to every 100mah. So for your battery. Do not charge it any higher then 0.5A. Any higher will shorten its life. And lower is better( slower charge keeps the cells cool-longer life span)

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I usually go up to half the maximum charge rate (or 1C, but are there still packs around with a max 1C charge rate?!). That's plenty of headroom regarding the specifications/design of the battery. So that would be 0.75A for a 500 mAh pack with a max charge specification of 2C.

Discharging at 1C would also be a lot better for your pack, but your model wouldn't be able to fly, you know :p

I always charge at 1c, I round up on some packs like 460mah I treat as a 500 and 750 as 800.

I have batteries that are 5+ years old, never over charged and never over discharged...

JLT_GTI

Some batteries can take high C charging (some claim up to 10C charge) but the safe rule for the vast majority is dont go over 1C for LiPo longevity.. if im in no hurry i usually charge my packs at less than 1C (ie a 2200 battery charged at 1,6/1,8A)

The highest i dare are my 1300 nanos for the 250 quad wich say "charge up to 10C" i charge them at 2.3A (1.7C) when im in a hurry

malik98

Gravity Fighter
I always charge my 2200mah batteries at 5 amps and have never had any issues. Not to say that you should do it, I'm just impatient.