I'm new...but kinda old.

Markess

I'm getting back into the hobby after a couple decades away, and oh boy how things have changed! Still getting my head around "modern" radios and what all the numbers mean for motors and batteries. I'm still pretty confused, but fascinated and excited by all the interesting changes.

I've got an FT Turbo Tutor bundle on the way to eventually use at the local club field across town. But, I've also got a couple un/partially built smaller size kits that have been sitting on a shelf since the last century (literally) and plan to equip them with modern motors/batteries for flying in the small park behind my house. Probably going to have to ask for advice on that!

Markess (Mark S.)
in Northern California

luvmy40

Elite member
Right there with ya' buddy! I hadn't built an airplane in 30+ years when I found Flite Test and dove head first into this rabbit hole!

I would highly recommend looking at the RadioMaster TX16S x-mitter and going with EdgeTX. It's a lot of bang for the buck and, after a somewhat steep but short learning curve, very easy to work with and highly versatile.

Nothing wrong with FlySky either if you are on a tight budget.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
+1 on the Raido Master & FlySky. Don't confuse it with FrSky, it's a completely different brand..

speedfix

I'm getting back into the hobby after a couple decades away, and oh boy how things have changed! Still getting my head around "modern" radios and what all the numbers mean for motors and batteries. I'm still pretty confused, but fascinated and excited by all the interesting changes.

I've got an FT Turbo Tutor bundle on the way to eventually use at the local club field across town. But, I've also got a couple un/partially built smaller size kits that have been sitting on a shelf since the last century (literally) and plan to equip them with modern motors/batteries for flying in the small park behind my house. Probably going to have to ask for advice on that!

Markess (Mark S.)
in Northern California
May I ask where in northern cali? I’m in Palo Alto and go to Peninsula Channel Commanders RC field.

Markess

Right there with ya' buddy! I hadn't built an airplane in 30+ years when I found Flite Test and dove head first into this rabbit hole!

I would highly recommend looking at the RadioMaster TX16S x-mitter and going with EdgeTX. It's a lot of bang for the buck and, after a somewhat steep but short learning curve, very easy to work with and highly versatile.

Nothing wrong with FlySky either if you are on a tight budget.

That's one nice looking device! I'd read that Open TX had a bit of a learning curve, but that it was worth it. Normally, I'm not daunted by tech, but I did have a bit of trepidation about my flying skills after so long. I'd been over at the club field in the afternoons a few times in the last couple weeks (I'm retired) and spent time getting advice & checking out the gear/models the other folks (mostly also retired) had. Literally all of them were using Spektrum, including two who routinely give instruction to members who wanted it. They suggested I get a Spektrum TX if I thought I'd want to get help with set-up/programming and/or take advantage of the free instruction & buddy box sessions. So, I got a used DX6 I'd found for a decent price. But, when I'm back in the swing of things and it comes time to upgrade, I'm definitely going to take a close look at those RadioMaster units!

May I ask where in northern cali? I’m in Palo Alto and go to Peninsula Channel Commanders RC field.

I'm up in the Sacramento area. The Associated Modelers of Sacramento (AMOS) field is 15-20 minutes away. But I also have a decent size park (two little league & a soccer field) within walking distance. So, I'm thinking something small for calm days. Plus, nobody will be watching me make mistakes at the park!

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Welcome. I've been it this hobby since the early 90s but have only been dabbling with these foam builds for the last few. It is a lot different than it was "back in the day", but it will come back to you quick.