I'm new to this and could really use some help.

YORK

So I recently decided I wanted to build my own drone(fixed wing plane). I want to use this to capture some stunning video and photos as well as to just have some fun with it. I would like the battery to last longer than 30 minutes and ideally as long as an hour. The farther it can fly the better. I would like a live feed going down to a monitor as I don't really want to use goggles. I want to use a one camera for actually flying and controlling it with a gopro attached recording footage. I would also like full 360 degree rotation and some tilt on my cameras. I'm not really sure what everything I need is other than a frame, battery, motor, propeller, servos, radio with antennas, video feed equipment, and ESC. Furthermore, I don't know if there are certain brands I should or shouldn't get. I do like the look of the Skywalker frames as well as the Ranger Ex. Fpvmodel.com lists required and recommended parts for the frames so if I figure out what frame I want I can probably figure out a bit more from there but wanted to see if anyone had frame recommendations. What are some resources that will help me with actually building the drone? Any help with recommendations, tips, or trick would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RCdiy

RCdiy
If you don't have any flying experience my suggestion is to locate your closest RC Model Flying clubs and visit them. They are great resources and learning to fly safely would be your first step.

OttoPilot

Any particular reason you're looking for 30-60 minute flight times? If you're looking to do long distance flying (and in the U.S.), might also start down the path toward your technician class Ham license.

If you're not already an RC pilot you probably want to start off by either approaching a local club for some instruction, or diving into the getting started in RC videos that Flite Test has put together.

Where are you located? You could also look for another FT member near you for help.

Either way, welcome aboard! You should start another more specific thread in one of the FPV specific forums and you'll get even more help!

YORK

Any particular reason you're looking for 30-60 minute flight times? If you're looking to do long distance flying (and in the U.S.), might also start down the path toward your technician class Ham license.

If you're not already an RC pilot you probably want to start off by either approaching a local club for some instruction, or diving into the getting started in RC videos that Flite Test has put together.

Where are you located? You could also look for another FT member near you for help.

Either way, welcome aboard! You should start another more specific thread in one of the FPV specific forums and you'll get even more help!

I'm in a small town in Nebraska so there aren't really any clubs here. Not sure what to do about that and probably no FT members here. Flight time was just so that I don't really have to ever worry about it and can fly as long as I feel like. I know that I have to stay within visual line of site in the U.S.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm in a small town in Nebraska so there aren't really any clubs here. Not sure what to do about that and probably no FT members here. Flight time was just so that I don't really have to ever worry about it and can fly as long as I feel like. I know that I have to stay within visual line of site in the U.S.

If you are serious about long distance then you should look at team black sheep
www.team-blacksheep.com

Long distance is controversial but if you are in a rural area that may not be a big issue unless you are near any recognized air fields. You may be surprised though.

However, if you are new to RC flying I suggest starting with a slight less ambitious project. Build some beginner Flitetest planes. The explorer getting started package is probably a good choice. You'll need this sort of stuff https://store.flitetest.com/ft-crafty-kit/ if you don't have it and maybe a few other things along the way. You may want to go a la carte and choose a different radio but the Graupner will work fine to start.

Of you are not into building something then get an Apprentice SE to start.

Getting 40min flying time while possible is not that realistic as a starting goal. Just staying in the air for 5 mins and landing close by without serious damage to the aircraft is more realistic. If your concern is "not having to worry about it" you are thinking about this the wrong way. Flying requires some planning and fuel budget is one of those things you have to plan around, especially for long distance. Flight time is only an estimate and will vary based on the particular aircraft and what it is carrying, location and conditions. It always has to be measured and adjusted for unless you are flying close by and you don't care about killing your batteries or crashing.

mjmccarron

The advice above is GREAT! I have seen many people get discouraged by having high expectations and goals going into this hobby only to find that it's not quite as easy as it looks. A good example would be the guy who spends a huge amount of money on a scale warbird to learn on. 15 - 30 seconds into the first flight it's in pieces. He's so discouraged that he never tries again The better way would have been to take steps to get there rather than to jump for the top. Ideas like yours are what drive advancement in the hobby and are certainly worth keeping. Just don't jump for the top all at once. Take smaller steps like strapping a mobius to an FT Flyer and video documenting your learning process. As you go along, you will gain the knowledge and experience to achieve your long term goals. Start small and work your way up. Especially if you are learning on your own. The main thing is not to give up, have fun and keep us posted.

Best of luck,
Mike