IMPORTANT : Old RX-TX + New Servos/UBEC/ESC

wicked

Hey guys,

Ill gonna make myself thrown into the hobby and gonna take my dad back with me so my questions will be about "modernizing" or "old and new" items used together. ( ill post pics of all the material i have )

So my dad is going to prepare his stuff to fly glow and a rebuilt glider. My dad is a crafting genious, but he's been off the hobby for 10 years and he's not familiarized with the new stuff . I'm gonna make a couple foam/balsa planes and go electric, im also an electronic engineer student ( robotics, programming, automation etc ) so i'll be making stuff on my planes too .

So, i've a couple of futaba tx's, not 2.4GHz ofc, and their receivers, and regular analog ( i gues ) futaba servos. We now have a couple of digital servos from Hobby King, and 2 Li-Po batteries and an UBEC.

1 ( glider ) - Can my dad use is old Rx-Tx system with the lipo battery and the UBEC with the new servos ( digital ) since he used to have the analog-receiver-receiver battery with no problems ?

2 ( me ) - Can i use , with the old Rx-Tx system, the digital servos and a ESC ( with built in BEC to power the rx ) to run my setup, using also lipo ?

I guess thats all, will be posting pictures of the stuff in a second !

Thanks

wicked

Just took a bunch of pictures of my stuff here, all of my hardwere, in addition some of my birds! Especting an answer, this is critical :p

10578432_10201309956631332_1051410702_n.jpg

The oldest TX with a bunch of futaba servos ( S3001 and F-S128 ) .

10578846_10201309956671333_1233375913_n.jpg

The newer ( but still old ) TX, A FP-T7UPS Transmitter from Futaba !

10567334_10201309956591331_2003447657_n.jpg

Here we have a couple of batterys.
2 2cell Lipo batteries.
A bunch of digital 10g servos from HK.
A 3A ( max 5A ) UBEC.
FP-R129DP RX from futaba ( matching the newer tx ).
Fp-R115F Rx from futaba also.
FP-R107M Rx, futaba too .

10581494_10201309980991941_1424726689_n.jpg

Never touched Victor, suitable for conversion but too heavy for me, i would ruin it !

10589879_10201309981071943_1388064082_n.jpg

This could be also suitable for a conversion, but it will be too heavy i guess !

10578039_10201309981031942_1212194372_n.jpg

This is a kind of glider and i guess this will be the first thing that i will be putting my hands on !

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Assuming you haven't purchased the digital servos yet . . . why exactly are you switching over to digital?

Most analog servos work just fine, even with the older RX gear -- be careful with older pin order standards (not all are ground-Power-signal), but otherwise they should work just fine. with a glow plane and a glider, I can't see much advantage of going digital over analog on the servos -- IMO, the higher resolution, precision, and response won't be noticed on airframes like these. Heli's? yes. Tricopters? maybe. Sport planes and gliders? not realy.

Now if you already have the digital servos in hand, it's a different story . . . and once you've programed them for their throws, unless you set them in a cppm or s-bus mode, they'll work just fine with most older RX's.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Digital servos will normally work fine with old equipment.
Lipo with UBEC or ESC will work fine in the plane but be careful if you want LiPo in the Transmitter.

In general i would not recommend any to use old FM equipment today.
It seems to be a lot more "gargbage" in the air causing glitches.
ESC and electric motors might cause noice into the rx.
It looks like your old Futaba Rx are fine. Make a serious range check and if you are using electric motors you need to make the range check with the motor running.

In my opinion you should go for a 2.4 system. A low range Orange or any other will probably be safer unless you live far away from radars, 2.4 systems, telephone high freq links and other "garbage".

wicked

Thank you for all the answers !
Personally i will go for a 2.4Ghz system maybe 35€ ( +40$ ) for a Turnigy 6CH + the receiver, an then get a motor, a ESC, a battery and im done with material.

My dad is going to use glow and gliders, so no ESC connection is needed. So, i can use a 2Cell LiPo hooked up to a UBEC ( the one i have is +5V or +6V, 3A with 5A max ) and then hook it up to the oldest RX and use it like in the old days ? The problem here is, to use the glider ( its not a big one ) my dad is going to hook up the small 10g servos wich are digital ( the ones that i have in the foto ) but i guess thats ok to use them, because they have a higher rate ( up to 300Hz ) than the normal analog ( 50Hz ) so that would be ok !

If i dont go 2.4 how do i hook up an ESC to the older RX ?