Intro Thread / Idea Discussion

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We have had a growing interest (hundreds of emails and calls!) from people who would love to start a radio control group at their school, camp, church, and other community gathering points.

We have seen lots of people do this successfully and there are LOT of great programs already out there. We think this is a vital format for growing the hobby and for showing people how fun, affordable and accessible it can be. Although a lot of people look to us to show them a way for such a program, we are not the experts! So we would love to hear your feedback on how your current program operates and how you would picture such a program existing and thriving.

Ultimately we want to use this information to:

-Make a Video
We would love to make an episode on how to get started with a program in your area. We want to use this video as kind of the launching point for people who want to go for it but just don't have the right information, resources, or support.

-Make a Mastermind Group
We would love to see this area of the forum serve as a mastermind group for community based RC programs. Schools and other groups that have done this successfully can answer questions like "where is the best place to get a bulk deal on electronics?" "What is the best curriculum or process to follow?" "How do I go about getting partial or full funding from schools, parents, communities or other groups?" "What age groups thrive best in these programs?"
Of course, there are hundreds of other questions I haven't even thought of yet, but you get the idea. This area can be a huge resource to people starting out and people looking to improve their program.

-Make a FT Store Package
We would like to make a package available in our store that includes product that makes sense for this kind of program. For an example we already have people taking the initiative on their own and purchasing 20-50 FT Flyers at a time for their own programs they already have going. We need your feedback on what this package would look like and what it should include.

-Make a Curriculum
Of course, a curriculum is a strong word for what we are thinking here. I think that "crash course", "best practices" or "quick guide" would be a better way to word it. Basically info that we can put together into a free PDF to put out with the video. Imagine it as "plans" for a successful radio control group.
Information such as:
What is the best way to introduce the concepts?
What is the best order to do things in?
What is the ideal instructor to student ratio?
How many glue guns should be available?
What are tips for getting parents involved?

All of these frequently asked questions and common pain points could be included in the "Flite Test for Groups - Crash Course" PDF to help people get over the hump and get into the fun.

What do you guys think?

-Austin

Last edited:

DDSFlyer

Very interested in this idea. I may be looking into this in the near future for a church group/school and would like to see what would be involved as to gather volunteers and partners

preacher

Lee Kachner
Good Stuff!!

This is a very great idea and opportunity to really reach out and connect with people that may not have any flying experience. The platform which is present to connect with people is one that shouldn't be neglected, and gathering ideas from the community to build a greater community is vital. To think that one person, or in this case one organization, has all the "in-n-outs" of the trade would be foolish. The collaboration of the ideas and experiences from community will only make the future community even stronger. I really look forward to see where this all ends up, and the outcome of whatever steps FT takes with this direction.

felixx

I currently have 20 boys building planes at the school I work at. We are not doing a flite test one this year, but next year the FTFLyer may be a go.

Only issue is postage costs

RussellHamilton

This is timely!!!

This sounds awesome...

In fact, my mother-in-law is teaching an elementary Gifted and Talented class this year and is focusing on an Aviation. Building a FTFlyer as a class activity and then some simple flight demonstrations in the Spring is something that we are discussing right now. Especially interested in building and flying the FT Duster to tie it back to the elementary kids. Any ideas, discussions, and thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I would love to be able to take this the step further with the HS physics class as well next year and again I think that the unique nature and cost of the FT designs allows this to be a real option!

BTW this would be in Abernathy, TX near Lubbock.

pichettem

My school just had our open house and we are planning on starting a model aviation club. Something to encourage family time. How do i go about ordering 20-30 FT Flyers when the time comes?

I am thinking about starting a rc club at my high school. I think it would really fun. Fun fact: you can rent quad copters at my high school. you just have to write a essay on why you should be able to use it.

Jnr Kuzi

Marzz (Model aero robotics zone Zambia)

hi guys, im akuzike from lusaka zambia (yes africa)
I go around lusaka, teaching People about Rc & usually help alot of Kids with there science projects. so i started an organisation called Marzz hoping to get sponsorship so i can reach big crowds and promote the Hobby. But my government doesnt really care about the Hobby, they prefer sponsoring people creating softwares & apps because they know they'll get money off them. Anyways. I am really passionate about this Hobby, I love teaching & i want to Inspire many many kids to become engineers.
Please support me by liking my facebook page : www.facebook.com/marzzambia.

I am also running a crowd funding campaign on rocket hub for a huge event were i go around teaching & building with kids in schools around Lusaka,Ndola & kitwe.
Please consider making a Donation : http://rkthb.co/47252

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Just throwing this in for a reference. This guy is a teacher and he does a great job of explaining things flight related. It's gliders but still applies to the overall topic.

bjornendre

Is this the thread Josh was talking about in one of the recent podcast-episode? He mentioned a name and an email-adress to send ideas to, but I have tryed over and over to get the name. But I dont get it. :D

I have an idea: Make the PDF and illustrations searchable, and maybe editable? The reason for this idea is to make it easy to translate! I have a class who is building FT-planes here in Norway. We build in depron (Come on Peter! Do an episode on converting plans to 6mm depron!! :D) and I have tryed to use the beginner series with my class. But they strugle with the english. I have translated most of the articles, but the illustrations is only pictures, and not posible to edit and translate.

I know this will raise copyright-issues, as your work can easily bee "stolen", but I hope it will be possible to implement this in some way. It would definatly make my life easyer! :D

CUFC

CUFC Stands for Clarkson University Flying Club. Clarkson is in Potsdam, NY and has about 4,500 undergraduate students. We have a club of about 15 students who get together twice a week to go fly to relieve stress from classes and such. Students bring their own planes or fly one of the club planes that we can purchase using our budget that we get from the Student Association. Members pay in $20 for the year which buys them access to club airplanes, instruction, the Flying Club Room, tools, and building materials. As I mentioned, we meet twice a week, once on a weeknight to fly indoors with club owned Hobbyzone Champs, and once to fly outdoors, or if the weather is bad, to hang out, fly on a flight simulator, fix, and build new airplanes.

We get students from all walks of life to come fly with us. Some, like myself, have been flying RC and / or full scale airplanes for quite some time and have their own planes and experience. Others joined because they found the idea of flying to be interesting. We've had several pilots learn to fly via a trainer cord and solo within a semester. A few of them have even gone on to buy or build their own planes. (1 FT Mustang, 2 Spitfires, 1 Duster, 1 Cruiser, and 1 FT-3D to date!)

Our mission is:
1) To provide a community where students can learn how to fly, and can fly their own planes

2) To be a voice for aviation on campus

3) To have a lot of fun!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I have sent an email to MESA rcFoam to see what curricula they can offer and I see from their site that such requests are becoming common. Very likely due to the FT episode I imagine.

Is there any free curriculum that covers AMA flight safety, basic build safety and how to assemble and fly and maintain a 300mm - 400mm copter for my local high school?