Introduction and FX-61 questions

Shiolle

Greetings,

I am trying to assemble a Zeta FX-61 wing with FPV equipment and a Pixhawk controller while I learn to fly on a simulator and using a cheap small wing like this: https://modelistam.com.ua/images/letajushee-krilo-joysway-invader-3.jpg Before you say that’s a stupid thing to do and I am approaching the hobby in the wrong way, let me tell you how it started.

Like many people getting into it nowadays, I started with a phantom 2, and I had a lot of fun flying it. Last year however I heard about Parrot Disco, and I was very impressed with the idea. I never realized before autopilots for fixed wing aircraft, let alone flying wings have gotten this far. I watched a couple of reviews, and to my surprise they were mostly negative, with people saying how there was no way to fly it without the autopilot babysitting you and land manually. They also mentioned how you could build your own wing for half the price and have the same functionality with Ardupilot.

So I decided that would be an interesting experience to do just that. I had no idea what I was getting into before I set my sights on this wing and started to gather information on what I need to complete it. I know this is not exactly a hard project for most people here, but I knew nothing about any of this before I started, aside from basic principles of flight from my brief time with flight simulators. Needless to say, I had to spend more money on it than what a Parrot Disco would cost me and I sank a lot of time into it already, and I still have some way to go before I fly it, but I’d like to think I learned a lot from it. I didn’t have a radio or monitor/googles or even a soldering iron, that’s why it quickly got rather expensive.

Naturally, I also have a few questions. Of course, they are not the only ones, but fortunately we have a lot of educational videos on the topic.

1. I know it is optimal to place your receiver and transmitter on the wings, but I am afraid it could weaken the wing significantly. The transmitter I use is FrSky X8R, and it is 14mm thick, which is more than half the thickness of the wing towards its tips.
  2. I am also not sure how to properly secure them there. I’ve seen a couple of arrangements, but it was never discussed explicitly how they were secured. Do you glue them in or use a combination of friction fit and tape? Often they are placed under the wing with only antennas going through the foam, but I don’t know why. I also dislike placing the receiver in the wing because this way you need to attach the wings to do any kind of adjustment or calibration on the system, but I guess this is a necessary evil.
  3. I also have doubts how to secure the servos that move the ailerons so that I could replace them in case of a failure without mutilating the foam. I don’t like the idea of wrapping the servos in tape and using apoxy to glue them in. Using hot glue to secure them without putting any glue underneath the servos so I can use isopropyl alcohol to remove them seems week. What do you recommend?
Thank you for your answers.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
First welcome to Flite Test you are in the right spot for learning.

They are placed on the wings mostly to separate the signals being used so one does not over ride or bleed into the other. As far as weakening the wing I assume you have done your build by the standards and some type of wing spar is in place. If not that would be your first stop to learn as that is a must for any wing type. The holes will be minor issue when properly sparred.

Simple hot glue (depending on foam type) is usually best as removal of components at a later time is easy with q-tips and alcohol and a little patience while working the component back and forth to work the alcohol in to loosen the grasp of the hot glue. The hot glue will be stronger then most foam as I have ripped foam in crashes directly on motors where the foam gave way and the hot glue did its job.

I am more of a quad person but have built a few foamies now and that is pretty much standard practice for the hobby. I am sure more "wing" pilots will chime in with advise as well so hang out and see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Naturally, I also have a few questions. Of course, they are not the only ones, but fortunately we have a lot of educational videos on the topic.

1. I know it is optimal to place your receiver and transmitter on the wings, but I am afraid it could weaken the wing significantly. The transmitter I use is FrSky X8R, and it is 14mm thick, which is more than half the thickness of the wing towards its tips.
  2. I am also not sure how to properly secure them there. I’ve seen a couple of arrangements, but it was never discussed explicitly how they were secured. Do you glue them in or use a combination of friction fit and tape? Often they are placed under the wing with only antennas going through the foam, but I don’t know why. I also dislike placing the receiver in the wing because this way you need to attach the wings to do any kind of adjustment or calibration on the system, but I guess this is a necessary evil.
  3. I also have doubts how to secure the servos that move the ailerons so that I could replace them in case of a failure without mutilating the foam. I don’t like the idea of wrapping the servos in tape and using apoxy to glue them in. Using hot glue to secure them without putting any glue underneath the servos so I can use isopropyl alcohol to remove them seems week. What do you recommend?
Thank you for your answers.

1. Fitting the Tx and Rx outboard is to allow the antennas to be free of obstruction and so perform better. Wings have greater stresses closer to the centre so cutting holes closer to the wing tips is actually cutting holes in an area where shape is of greater concern than structural strength requirements.
2. Placing items through the wing underside has great merit because it is the upper surface of the wing that generates the majority of the wings lift so the less the disruption to airflow the better the wing performance. Securing methods are normally a matter of personal preferences. I like a firm, interference fit with a little drop of glue and a covering with a good cloth based tape.
3. An old method which can be used to secure servos solidly but still able to be easily maintained is to do the cut out for the servo and put a thin Ply plate on the opposite side of the wing, (recess if necessary). Mount the servos to two posts each using the mounting holes and screws supplied. Fit the servos into the cutout and crew down the posts through the other side using screws through the plywood plate fitted. Finally cover the servo body and hole with a good cloth based tape to keep the majority of dirt and water out of the servo hole.

As already stated mounting is a matter of personal preference and experience.

Have fun!

Shiolle

Thank you for the answers. They were very helpful.
As far as weakening the wing I assume you have done your build by the standards and some type of wing spar is in place. If not that would be your first stop to learn as that is a must for any wing type. The holes will be minor issue when properly sparred.
There are spars going half the length of the wing like this: http://valuehobby.valuehobby.netdna-cdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x1200/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/x/fx-61-4_1.jpg

I've heard people had no problems flying without additional reinforcement. I am going to wait untill I know my weight allowance before I add any additional spars since I am trying to use stock propulsion.

An old method which can be used to secure servos solidly but still able to be easily maintained is to do the cut out for the servo and put a thin Ply plate on the opposite side of the wing, (recess if necessary).
I will try to build these and see how heavy and sturdy they are. Thank you.

Last edited: