Is this really a FT Delta?

Winglet

Yes, this really is a scratch built FT Delta. (one of my favorite Flite Test designs of all time):cool:

delta2.JPG

At first glance you might not recognize it? Looking closer it might appear to be highly modified? Not really. It is nearly stock with a few minor exceptions. Obviously I added a canopy. That is nothing more than 3 pieces of Rossboard fashioned into what you see and hot glued in place. Purely cosmetic and just for fun.

Two bigger items that are mods (but very simple) include the battery stored inside the power pack instead of dangling from the nose. The battery is simply velcoed to the underside of the wing through the access hole in the power pod. It sets further back than on the origional plans to bring the CG into the correct position. The motor I use is much much lighter than the one origionally called for in the plans and a much better motor it is. Power is from a Sunnysky x2204s-16 2300kv. It turns an APC 6x4. Runs on 850mah 3 cell. Yes, it is a quadcopter motor, mounted right to the firewall.

So how does it fly?

The Delta was always a good flyer if setup correctly. Lots of pilots complain that it is hard or impossible to fly. This just isn't true if setup right.
delta1.JPG

With the little modifications I did to mine it flies well in every respect. It is so lite it can be flown low and slow very close to the ground. Nail the throttle and straight up she goes and goes quickly into a dot! Wind doesn't bother it. I've seen very few airplanes at our club field that can beat it. And to think you get all of this for 89 cents! (cost of a sheet of foamboard)

If you are looking for a quick, cheap, fun project this winter. This is worth a try for sure.

A few other notes of interest if you build one.

I double beveled the leading edge and folded it backwards from the origional plan. This gives it a nice rounded leading edge instead of a blunt one.

I used Ross Foamboard that is really getting hard to find anymore. If you don't have this, use Dollartree. DON'T use the heavy stuff from Wal-mart! Or of course you can use FT Brown Board.

The trim colors on mine are vinyl simply cut out with an X-Acto knife.

Don't even think about a landing gear. Hand launches easy. Lands slow.

Set your elevons up with a little positive reflex. That is...at neutral trim setting, have a slight amount of up elevator set into it. Otherwise it is just going to dive right into the ground. Give it about a 1/8 inch.

Make your first flights with a minimum amount of control and lots of expo. You can always adjust that up or down after you get a little experience with it.

Is this for a beginner? NO! While it can be flown slow and is docile. It is small and can go very fast. In the original configuration it could be a beginner airplane. The way mine is setup it is for an experienced builder/pilot. Not difficult at all for someone who has been around for awhile.:eek:

Not counting the power pod it is only 3 pieces to cut out so go for it!

delta3.JPG

delta2.JPG

Here is a link to the original build video
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/DeltaScratchBuild

Attachments

• delta4.JPG
    delta4.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
  • testflight.JPG
    testflight.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Really nice build and the mods give it some character.

i really like flying wings. my first flying wing was the ft arrow, love the simplicity of elevons. I think the flying wings generaly are more tolerent of weight compared to other designs. My first mini arrow was built out of the heavy foamboard, it flew fine however i do prefer the lighter version which i managed to get just above 250g with a 1000mah battery!!

If you cant get the light foamboard, theres 2 options, remove the paper on both sides and replace wth coloured packing tape, or buy HK foam and use packing tape, thats how i built my mini arrow.

Is that permanent marker? looks really good, i struggled with sharpies as it would tend to be very streaky