Issue with Aileron Throw on Spitfire

DaveMac

I'm getting much more control in my left Aileron than my right. I've measured the amount of throw in Safe/Intermediate/Expert settings and getting from .14" to .16" more on my left side than the right. Both servo Arms are basically vertical and in the same hole control arm. After closer inspection, I realized that the right servo is a littler further out than the left, thus causing the push rod to be at an angle rather than a straight push. So I'm guessing that is part of it. But as you know, moving the servo is all but impossible. So my question is, can I use a different hole in the servo arm to give it more throw and leave the other side alone?
IMG_0169.jpeg
IMG_0167.jpeg

WillL84

Looks to me like the end of the Z bend on the aileron horn might be contacting and dragging. Might want to try to bend that out and while you're at it flip the Z bend so it goes into the horn form the opposite side so it's not hitting on anything

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...So my question is, can I use a different hole in the servo arm to give it more throw and leave the other side alone?...
Sure, try it, see if it works. My guess it will make things worse. I'm not sure that small of a difference is going to matter much. I can't tell you if my planes have the same throw, left to right, I've never measured it. I am far more worried about adverse yaw than if the plane rolls faster one way than the other.

You might try moving the servo arm 1 spline to see if that helps. With your setup, servos on the bottom of the wing. Chose the spline that will place the servo horns slightly forward of 90 degrees, towards the LE. This will make the up aileron go up more than the down aileron goes down. This prevents adverse yaw. The up aileron will cause more drag and help pull the plane around a turn. With adverse yaw the plane bank one way, say left, but yaws the other way, in this example, right.

If the ailerons were on the top of the wing, chose the spline that is slightly rearward, the servo horn slightly towards the TE.

Last edited: