Issue with FT Power Package and FT Spitfire

FT Beginner

Hi together,

I’m new here in this forum and I’m desperately searching for help. I’m located in Germany and currently building the FT Spitfire. I bought the FT Power Pack C (Fixed Wing Large) with all the electronic components but somehow the motor doesn’t fit!? As you can see in the attached picture the propeller touches the airplane front before the motor touches the firewall. How can that be? The compatibility list on the FT page shows that Fix Wing Large ist the correct bundle for this plane. I was searching in the internet and what confuses me is that there are obviously bundles with the same name available but with different motors. Some have a motor with a higher length and a mounting plate (which would fit I guess) and some have a shorter motor without mounting plate (the one I have). Can I use the one I have? Of course a solution would be to cut the plane front which I don’t really would like to do and the other possibility would be to add some wood or a thick mounting plate between the firewall and the motor, but that would add weight to the airplane nose. :-(
I really would appreciate your help!

BR, Rob

Attachments

• 6170F380-C1CB-4FB3-BE5E-3F82065701F9.jpeg
    6170F380-C1CB-4FB3-BE5E-3F82065701F9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • EF0A3A1D-C581-425A-8EBA-FE7CA1EAFCA5.jpeg
    EF0A3A1D-C581-425A-8EBA-FE7CA1EAFCA5.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 113C3991-4B00-43A9-A7F8-C9AA3625CE4E.jpeg
    113C3991-4B00-43A9-A7F8-C9AA3625CE4E.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 0

whackflyer

Master member
Did you get an X mount with your motor? You need to put that on if you have one. That will help. From there you can just make sure your screws are long enough and add washers or something of the like. If your propellor shaft on the motor is long enough, you could also add a spacer behind the prop. Hope this helps!

FT Beginner

Hi Whackflyer,
Thanks for your message. Unfortunately no X mount, just the parts which you can see on the the screenshot I have attached (right one). I compared the rest of the two different packages and identified that there is another difference - my BEC controller has 30A and the other one 35A. I’m surprised that I couldn’t find anyone else who has this problem....

whackflyer

Master member
Hi Whackflyer,
Thanks for your message. Unfortunately no X mount, just the parts which you can see on the the screenshot I have attached (right one). I compared the rest of the two different packages and identified that there is another difference - my BEC controller has 30A and the other one 35A. I’m surprised that I couldn’t find anyone else who has this problem....
Could you provide a link to where you purchased it from? It looks like it came from Graupner and it's their version of the FT C Pack. That would explain the differences. The 30A speed controller should be fine.

Bricks

Master member
Did you print out the plans is it possible that the scaling was wrong, which caused your dilemma. If it were me I would add foam and another motor mount, use a regular glue to put it together to save a little weight if that is a big concern, the little added weight would not be any problem. If you are using a power pod you could build a little longer one.

whackflyer

Master member
Did you print out the plans is it possible that the scaling was wrong, which caused your dilemma. If it were me I would add foam and another motor mount, use a regular glue to put it together to save a little weight if that is a big concern, the little added weight would not be any problem. If you are using a power pod you could build a little longer one.
Good thought. That's an option.

FT Beginner

Could you provide a link to where you purchased it from? It looks like it came from Graupner and it's their version of the FT C Pack. That would explain the differences. The 30A speed controller should be fine.

Yes that‘s correct, it is the Graupner version. But never the less it should fit, shouldn’t it? I think it was the only one which was available at the beginning. I checked the speed controller itself and it has 35 A as well just in the description is mentioned 30 A.

The Fopster

Master member
You could use some scrap foam to adjust the fuselage to move the power pod forward? Add extra piece to extend the top of the fuselage where the firewall sits.

FT Beginner

Hi Bricks,
No, it is a speed built kit, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

FT Beginner

You could use some scrap foam to adjust the fuselage to move the power pod forward? Add extra piece to extend the top of the fuselage where the firewall sits.

Hi Fopster,
everything is already glued and the power pod setup in the prescribed position ...but good idea, thanks.

The Fopster

Master member
But the powerpod isn't glued? Can't you just remove it and fit a 10mm piece of foam to extend the top deck? Then when you slide in the powerpod it will be 10mm further forward?

FT Beginner

But the powerpod isn't glued? Can't you just remove it and fit a 10mm piece of foam to extend the top deck? Then when you slide in the powerpod it will be 10mm further forward?
That is actually a good idea (-:
To do that I have to drill new holes in the power pod with the wood stick and modify the tongue and groove on the top.

keepitup

y not just shave off some of the foam where the prop is hitting .
I did exactly what skymaster proposed. Shaved it just enough to clear. Like Josh said in one of the videos his made nice motor noises till it shaved down a bit.LOL!

keepitup

Hi together,

I’m new here in this forum and I’m desperately searching for help. I’m located in Germany and currently building the FT Spitfire. I bought the FT Power Pack C (Fixed Wing Large) with all the electronic components but somehow the motor doesn’t fit!? As you can see in the attached picture the propeller touches the airplane front before the motor touches the firewall. How can that be? The compatibility list on the FT page shows that Fix Wing Large ist the correct bundle for this plane. I was searching in the internet and what confuses me is that there are obviously bundles with the same name available but with different motors. Some have a motor with a higher length and a mounting plate (which would fit I guess) and some have a shorter motor without mounting plate (the one I have). Can I use the one I have? Of course a solution would be to cut the plane front which I don’t really would like to do and the other possibility would be to add some wood or a thick mounting plate between the firewall and the motor, but that would add weight to the airplane nose. :-(
I really would appreciate your help!

BR, Rob
Welcome aboard I think you will not regret joining the forum. The people here are just amazing and super handy.