Issue with servo Y-cable

hancafe

Hi, this is my first post on this forum.
I'm having an odd issue with a y-cable I purchased off Amazon. I use a flysky i6-x transmitter with a flysky ia6b reciever. I have two 9 gram servos connected to a y-splitter for my ailerons. After plugging my system in and connecting my transmitter, any aileron commands result in the system shorting out. If I move the right stick, the two servos just go nuts for about 2 seconds, and then lock in one direction, as if they're trying to go out of their range. After this happens, I'll I unplug everything because I'm afraid I'll ruin the servos. I have no idea why I'm having this issue, as I've done as much troubleshooting as I can. I've tried differently y-cables, tested it in different channels, tried different servos etc... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm relatively new to electric airplanes. Thanks a ton for the time,

HANCOFFEE

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.
I'm having an odd issue with a y-cable I purchased off Amazon. I use a flysky i6-x transmitter with a flysky ia6b reciever. I have two 9 gram servos connected to a y-splitter for my ailerons. After plugging my system in and connecting my transmitter, any aileron commands result in the system shorting out. If I move the right stick, the two servos just go nuts for about 2 seconds, and then lock in one direction, as if they're trying to go out of their range. After this happens, I'll I unplug everything because I'm afraid I'll ruin the servos. I have no idea why I'm having this issue, as I've done as much troubleshooting as I can. I've tried differently y-cables, tested it in different channels, tried different servos etc... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm relatively new to electric airplanes. Thanks a ton for the time,
I would suggest that you check that the BEC in the ESC can supply adequate current. When using many servos and even sometimes if the control surfaces/hinges are not totally free to move without restriction the servos can draw extra current even when not moving. The total of the current of all of the servos could become too much for your BEC and the 5V rail drop sue to current limiting. This causes the Rx to stop working as well as the servos to do strange things, (and to draw even more current).

Ideally your ESC should have a 3A BEC to avoid any overcurrent issues though often a 2A BEC will also work quite well.

Just what I have experienced in the distant past!

Have fun!

kdobson83

Triple check to make sure your Rx is bound to your Tx. I had a receiver make my servos go bonkers like that when I forgot to bind it. Once properly bound it was fine. Try binding your Rx, then plug in servos. Make sure your polarity is correct too.

hancafe

I would suggest that you check that the BEC in the ESC can supply adequate current. When using many servos and even sometimes if the control surfaces/hinges are not totally free to move without restriction the servos can draw extra current even when not moving. The total of the current of all of the servos could become too much for your BEC and the 5V rail drop sue to current limiting. This causes the Rx to stop working as well as the servos to do strange things, (and to draw even more current).

Ideally your ESC should have a 3A BEC to avoid any overcurrent issues though often a 2A BEC will also work quite well.

Just what I have experienced in the distant past!

Have fun!
Thank you very much

hancafe

Triple check to make sure your Rx is bound to your Tx. I had a receiver make my servos go bonkers like that when I forgot to bind it. Once properly bound it was fine. Try binding your Rx, then plug in servos. Make sure your polarity is correct too.
Thank you very much

FDS

Elite member
Get some pictures of everything set up as well, then people can see all the parts of the system and how you have it wired.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Double check that the connectors are all plugged in facing the right direction and you don't have one possibly plugged in backwards. Then I would unplug the Y connector and test each servo individually to see what happens.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Another suggestion is to get a servo tester and connect up the two servos through the Y-connector, see if they function properly. If they do, that eliminates it being a problem with the servos or the cable, and points to either the ESC, as @Hai-Lee noted, or potentially a signal/receiver issue.