I've got the time if you've got the parts

jtbluefeather

Hello group.

I'd like to build something to chase planes. Something Gremlinish maybe? Or something Mr. Steely perhaps? I've got a decent fixed wing FT fleet, and a fleet of tiny quads like the Inductrix FPV, a Blade Nano, and a Blade QX 180. But I'd like help in choosing a good plane chaser. Here's the story...

Last summer my kids and I started inviting friends and their families both old and new to join us to fly planes. I made a couple extra Simple Soarers as trainers, and there was much fun had by all. I met a drone pilot who flies a dji Phantom 4 and he chased my Sea Duck this past weekend. We've also introduced him to Flite Test, and will be helping him (and a few others from last summer) get into fixed wing flight with a build I'm hosting later this spring. I've got all the electronics they'll need (from buying twin power packs instead of singletons over the past couple years,) so they're just buying their own TX's and Simple Soarer kits.

Now, usually I'd just save up and buy kits and motors and whatnot for a plane chaser myself, but we hit a bit of a snag at the end of the summer. My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer, and our bills have outpaced our income and drained our discretionary (vacation and fun) budget. So the money for a plane chaser just isn't going to happen for awhile.

I certainly don't NEED another flying machine. But I DO have lots of time to tinker, as I'm her primary caregiver, and when she's not in chemo or other appointments, we spend lots of time sitting around at home watching TV between physical therapy sessions and naps. I can certainly spend my time building more planes if nothing pans out here, but quads are easier to do inside in our little home office.

If there is a donor out there that can help me with parts, I'd love to build something to chase the planes that our group of new pilots will be flying when the weather warms up a bit. I'll also keep my eyes on this part of the forum to see if there's any way I can give back when I'm able.

Let me know your thoughts on a good plane chasing quad, even if you can't sponsor a build. I'd be interested to hear what you like and don't like.

Thanks for the consideration!

HexFPV

Professional Dilettante
I wish I had the cash for parts for ya, but alas I'm on the same forum begging for parts. FT270 on the flitetest store was MADE for chasing, so I might start with that. Flew my friend's 270 build and it was fast but not exactly flippy. Would recommend.

jtbluefeather

Fast and not flippy would be good for me! I'm more of what David Windestal would term a "swoopy" pilot and less stunty!

I'll check out the 270. Thanks!