Joining AMA

Bricks

Master member
So, let me ask, then, since it seems like there is disdain for the AMA on your part:

Have you gotten your club to apply for a CBO? And if not, why not?

I never said distain your putting words out there that I NEVER SAID.

I am the club secretary and finding the definitive information for the FAAs CBO and what is actually required is very vague at least to me of what they are actually looking for. There is no mention that I can find that actually mentions any type of insurance there is a some veiled reference but not out right if or not any type of liability is required.

This is where AMA does have the upper hand as they set up the rules as what a CBO in there minds should be, kind of keeping the rest of us in the fog of nitty gritty requirements..

If it does come down to filing our own CBO I need to find someone that is good at writing grants. As that person is in tune to what rubbish government entities want to see in the application BS

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
This is where AMA does have the upper hand as they set up the rules as what a CBO in there minds should be, kind of keeping the rest of us in the fog of nitty gritty requirements..

Let's face it. The fix is in. It was no surprise that AMA got CBO status first. Their complete sell-out with Remote ID gave them most-honored status with the government kill-joys.

AMA is likely lobbying HARD to be the sole CBO parent organization. The only recourse we little people have is to stop paying them to work against us.

HVB79

Yup still requires a 'trainer' to learn to fly, so how does a club without someone already flying FPV start flying FPV?

Here is the full paragraph:
"b) AMA FPV novice pilots undergoing training with an experienced AMA FPV pilot should use a buddy-box system if practicing at a low altitude (below 100 feet) or practice at a safer, higher altitude when a buddy-box system is not an option."

This does not say training of any sort is required. Nothing in this prevents you from teaching yourself without any help or training at all. If you are self learning you are not a "novice pilot undergoing training with an experienced AMA FPV pilot" so the entire paragraph do not apply to you in any way.

Even if you were being trained by an experienced pilot this is the same advice that basic orientation training has been conducted by for over 30 years. Use a buddy box or practice at a higher altitude.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Here is the full paragraph:
"b) AMA FPV novice pilots undergoing training with an experienced AMA FPV pilot should use a buddy-box system if practicing at a low altitude (below 100 feet) or practice at a safer, higher altitude when a buddy-box system is not an option."

This does not say training of any sort is required. Nothing in this prevents you from teaching yourself without any help or training at all. If you are self learning you are not a "novice pilot undergoing training with an experienced AMA FPV pilot" so the entire paragraph do not apply to you in any way.

Even if you were being trained by an experienced pilot this is the same advice that basic orientation training has been conducted by for over 30 years. Use a buddy box or practice at a higher altitude.

you also missed the part of an AMA FPV spotter, etc,etc that is always required. maybe the don't mean that the spotter has to be FPV skilled, but they do need to be able to fly your craft LOS.

And a quad high in the air... there aren't many people who are going to be able to take over one that was being flown by someone else and start flying it LOS (so I don't see how someone one can fly a quad FPV under these rules)... your way more likely to keep people safe by flipping into angle mode and letting the FC stablize the craft then handing over the remote (or disarming and letting it fall)... in most cases, the quad is likely to be in the dirt faster then you could hand over that controller and have some one take over.

HVB79

you also missed the part of an AMA FPV spotter, etc,etc that is always required. maybe the don't mean that the spotter has to be FPV skilled, but they do need to be able to fly your craft LOS.

I agree that there are lots of real issues with the AMA FPV requirements and valid reasons that the FTCA rules are more practical. However, that does not make it OK to make up things that are not in the AMA requirements and then base an argument on something you made up out of thin air.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I agree that there are lots of real issues with the AMA FPV requirements and valid reasons that the FTCA rules are more practical. However, that does not make it OK to make up things that are not in the AMA requirements and then base an argument on something you made up out of thin air.
it may have been part of the original rules... when I did pay the AMA club overhead, the rules were different and roughly speaking there wasn't a practical way to fly FPV _and_ follow the rules 100% [at least if you were flying quads]. it is also common for AMA fields to require you to be trained [so even if not hard in the rules, often is in practice].

and yes, that is what I see the AMA fees as - a club overhead fee, because the insurance is setup in a way that it doesn't typically apply, the publications that I saw, were a mix of mostly ads and stuff focused on the 'modeling' part of the hobby more then the flying (I would have rather paid less and not got the publications...)

HVB79

The sky is falling and FPV racing is doomed video sure did not age very well.
Already have three CBOs to pick from and one of them is 100% about FPV with a heavy focus on FPV racing.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
The sky is falling and FPV racing is doomed video sure did not age very well.
Already have three CBOs to pick from and one of them is 100% about FPV with a heavy focus on FPV racing.
Xjet wasn’t talking about FPV racing - he was addressing the fact that the FAA is trying to destroy the hobby, and AMA has been complicit.

It’s about freedom, and Bruce (a New Zealander) gets it.

74mouz.jpg

Last edited: