Joining the Lidl fun

quorneng

Master member
Bought only just in time as mine was the last in the shop!
A nice enough but the one thing that really annoys are those hugely thick trailing edges!
They simply do not go well with the concept of 'soaring'.
So my intention is to use Depron to 'extend' the trailing edges to a fine point something like this.
Elevator1.JPG

This is actually the tail plane but the wing & fin are similar.
The extension is made from two 2 mm Depron sheets sanded internally to retain the Depron smooth outer skin.
This also means the elevator (and ailerons) will be 'free standing' rather than cutting into the basic foam.
Progress do far.
EleRud1.JPG

The one piece elevator is top tape hinged. The 'rudder' is fixed. Together it has added 4 g.
I would like to achieve an all up weight below the impending UK 250 g registration limit.
We shall see.

quorneng

Master member
I have salvaged a very small 7g? 5000kv? motor and 10A ESC from a redundant Depron plane and a micro 4ch 2.4.
MtrESCrx.JPG

The whole lot only weighs 21.4 g.
With a 2s the motor draws 4.1 A with a 5x3 prop. Only modest thrust but if I can indeed keep below 250 g all up it should be adequate, maybe!

quorneng

Master member
Thanks Caroline.
By the way you made a good job of 'hollowing out' the cockpit area. The EPP foam is very rubbery and is not easy to cut.

The elevator servo installed in the fuselage just ahead of the wing
EleServo1.JPG

The original nose weight 'bolt' that was housed in the canopy.
NoseBolt.JPG

At 37.3 g it is heavier than the motor. ESC and Rx added together!

quorneng

Master member
The effect on the wing area of the tailing edge extensions that provide a sharp edge.
WingTE1.JPG

The outer portion is the aileron the inner is fixed but could easily be flaps!
The motor installed.
MntrMnt1.JPG

The motor bulkhead is printed. The motor is retained by 12 BA bolts screwed into threaded holes in the bulkhead all courtesy of my late Dads extensive collection of model engineering tools!

quorneng

Master member
It flies! No 'rocket ship' but it does float about quite nicely.
YouTube
At the moment flight duration is limited to about 5 minutes as the ESC overheats. Some cooling will have to be arranged but otherwise it seems to do more or less what I expected. :D