Jugs!!!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
hhhhhhhuuuuuuuuggggggggeeeeeee.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I currently do not have any plans to build anything that large. Its getting into the 1/4 scale category. Those ships require either 1) chainsaw engines or 2) electrics with enough current to start the heart of a blue whale. Both are $$$$ and I do not own a vehicle to get it to the field as well. My station wagons are only so long.

The Sikorsky will be my largest build to date. Even that it becoming increasingly difficult to figure out how to get home.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Managed to get away from work a little early today. I got out the hole saw bits for my drill and went to town on the battery box. Again, these are for COOLING not really for weight reduction. I think I need to trim a bit off the top to get the tray to fit better. The bottom of the box is right in line with the location dowels for the wing. Not a good thing.

Moving on I drilled a hole for the air line port. This gives me access from the assembled plane to pressurize the gear system.

After the port was located I did some tidying up in the compartment to keep things secure and out of the way. The only connections are for the flaps and ailerons to the Rx and the air line of course. For the air line I am using luer connectors. They are plastic and when screw-tightened provide a very secure and leak-proof connection for the pneumatics.

Birthday is tomorrow so I anticipate that my dear wife has purchased me the motor that I need for this project. I found the perfect scrap part for the dummy motor that I will explain when I get to that point.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, So after consideration I did not like how the battery box was placed against the former. It created a slight overhang on the fiberglass that would prohibit easy installation of the batteries. I used more ply and created spacers. The glue is currently drying.

Since I DID get the motor I needed for this project for my birthday I can proceed with the nose-end of this beast. As stated before I found a part to make a more scale-like dummy motor. Most dummy motors are for the non-turbo-supercharged radial engines that were so prevalent for Allied aircraft in the pacific theater. They are representative of Axis aricraft as well so they make more money selling a generic product. If you look closely at the front end of a Jug the engine is more recessed into the cowl to account for a gear box on the motor itself.

Thunderbolt_P47D+4a1265984368.jpg

You can see from the image that the cylinders are much further back and there is a dome for the gear box. Knowing this, I managed to find the plastic covering of a new toner cartridge at work laying next to the copier. PERFECT SHAPE!!! But would it fit? The base will fit just fine around the outer rim of the dummy radial included in the purchase. The roundness is sufficient to contain the massive outrunner. The dome also allows for the tapering of the outrunner to the prop adapter.

I will get some pictures of all of this. My Son's birthday festivities are commencing.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
New BIG motor. The biggest I've owned. 320Kv.
IMG_1460.JPG

Here you can see the extra bits of ply I used as spacers for the battery box.
IMG_1464.JPG

Odd domes cover thingy for toner. I've used my dremel to take out initial mouldings that were not needed. I've also sanded a bit to rough it up to take on some primer.
IMG_1465.JPG

Same dome thing with the motor and a 16" prop for comparison.
IMG_1467.JPG

Both batteries installed with plenty of velcro holding them in place. Obviously, the air will be charged prior to battery installation. Plenty of room forward of the box for stuffing thick wires and the parallel harness which is yet to be made.
IMG_1469.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Moving on to the motor mount, the plans indicate a specific distance for the base of the prop adapter to the firewall. I measured the distance of my motor from the adapter plate to the back of the mounting bracket. I needed an additional 8.8cm. This is generally too long for tube and rod standoffs so it was time to bust out the aluminum stock. Generally $5 at your local hardware store. I bent the stock to shape using precise measurements and my vise. With the aid of a hammer you can tap the aluminum into sharper bends for better precision. Holes were measured and drilled using a reaming tool on my drill. The wood was used as a buffer for any mild vibration on the fiberglass firewall. Not expecting much here. After rough mounting, I roughly placed the cowl to check for alignment and fit. It looks good and will easily clean up with the dummy motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

earthsciteach

Dunno about that motor mount, man. Looks like it could be really shaky if the prop isn't balanced perfectly. I'd go with channel stock soldered at the bends to prevent it from wracking. Just my thoughts.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I can see where you are coming from. With the bends in the aluminum it provides a good amount of stiffness vertically. While there is SOME play horizontally its not that significant. This is also the exact same design that I used in my Texan electric conversion and it has been flawless.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
If you bring this to FF let me know and I'll see what I can do about bringing the FW-190.
Just really not sure we'd even be able to take off let alone land on the field.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
My spinny blade of death arrived yesterday evening. This is the APC-E 16 x 12 prop intended for flight. I reamed it out and used the appropriate centering ring (love those things). Still needs balancing but the image speaks. This blade goes from the tip of my finger nearly to my elbow! I hope to get at least one battery charged to get this setup on the watt meter and see what I'm up against.

Attachments

• IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looks good! Its a shame you're not bringing this to FF, but I guess you won't have a ton of time for flying until the build is done.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Nope. I'll probably not have it flight-ready by then either. This will be a fun one for me to just go to and add one more piece of detail... fly... repeat. I do want to get it flight ready first.