Jumper T12 (plus) Multi Protocol Transmitter - Review

DutchRC

Hi there guys,

Another radio? What do I need another radio for huh? Well to be honnest I definately don't NEED an extra radio, but I do like flying toy-grade quads around (indoors).
Those quads usually come with pretty nasty radio's, so to upgrade that experience I opted for this new Jumper T12 with Multi Protocol Module :)

The radio is even available with Hall Effect gimbals (the Plus version) but I opted for the base model myself.

In this topic I'll let you know what my experience with this radio is like, but I'd allso be very interested to read Your findings..
First an intro with my initial impressions of the radio:

Allso.. here is my playlist of general OpenTX Info Video's: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXgLCadWLBnAGUGlljDwOAGd_677edxEU

d8veh

Elite member
I've been using a Jumper T12 for the last month. I'm too embarrassed to use my Taranis QX7S with my Flitetest planes. Actually, I just got the T12 out of curiosity, then I figured I could use all the cheapest DMSX receivers from Hobbyking with it.

It's worked more or less faultlessly. I've had some minor binding issues , but I've had similar with my taranis too, so that's no big deal. An example is one receiver wouldn't auto-bind, so i have to navigate to "bind" each time I visit the flying field, but, mysteriously, it binds automatically each time I put in a new battery. it seems that around 20 minutes is the cut-off time for auto-bind with that receiver. other receivers auto-bind normally.

There are also a couple of minor quirks of the Open Tx, but I can't remember what they are. Whatever they are/were, I don't see them anymore because the only thing I've done in the last few weeks is copy models, change the name, change the receiver type and fly the planes. Everything works perfectly. I'd recommend this Tx to anyone that wants to get into Open Tx. The only downside is that you do need to spend some time watching Youtube videos and you have to suffer some frustration to get the hang of Open TX.

One other thing: when you take the Tx out of the box, you think you made a mistake and bought a toy transmitter instead, but don't let that put you off. It has all the functionality of a Taranis and works just as well, plus you get the ability to bind to just about any receiver.

Go on, put one on your Xmas list!
This battery just fits in the compartment:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1300mah-2s-25c-lipo-pack-wxt60.html

Last edited:

DutchRC

Thanks for the added input d8veh & Caroline! :)
For my review I'll obviously mostly go by my own findings, but it's definately good to have more input..

Yep.. I have a 600mah (I think) in it.. I was expecting that to last for about 1 session..

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I was surprised when you said the T8SG was too small for you @DutchRC the V2 has exactly the same case as the T12. I'm finding the deviation software in the T8SG quite easy to use and the mixer is so powerful!

DutchRC

To be Completely honnest: I'm not even sure what version my friend has, but Small it is (my hands are quite big / long :$)
And yeah.. Deviation.. Me & Deviation will probably never be friends :D Offcourse that's mostly due to me not being very familiar with it :)

peterpc

1546277601876.jpg

iFly4Fun

I have a fleet of Eachines E013 (Small Pepper) quads and considering a better radio transmitter (remote controller), however, I need to know if this transmitter will work by someone who has actually tested it on the model. No one seems to know and I have had trouble even finding out what protocol the E013 uses. If it works, I would like set up instructions. (( Answers like "it should work" or "it might work")) are not sufficient. I need to know for sure before buying a transmitter. Thanks

IanSR

@iFly4Fun

The E013 uses the MJXQ subset E010 protocol in the radio, when setting up your model you select External RF > Multi then MJXQ, in the subtype change it to E010, select bind then turn on the E013, it'll bind.

Then next time you turn on the radio with that model selected, it will try to bind the quad until it does, so make sure you don't have two quads sitting there waiting for a bind otherwise the T12 will bind to both lol.

Please bear in mind this was an E013 I bought this time last year, but I have no reason to think things have changed, the E010 I bought last month worked just fine using the same settings (the E010 and E013 are identical aside from the camera and its cowling). I have tons of these E010/E013's in various forms and they all work with my t12 just fine, you only need one model in the transmitter too, as I said turn the transmitter on, then turn whatever quad on you want to fly and it'll bind.

iFly4Fun

Thank you very much. If the protocols were the same my E010 transmitter should work on the E013, but it does not. Neither does the E013 transmitter work on the E010. Consequently, I do not believe the protocols on the quads that I have are the same; perhaps Eachine upgraded the protocol on the E013 (date stamp on the FCB is 201801016 and it has a WIFI label). I am not convinced that the E010 protocol works on my (newer?) E013 FCBs. Although not necessarily an indicator, the boards are quite different physically.

E010 - E013 FCB (0001.jpg

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Can you set up the T12 to run a model without connecting it to a computer? I am not bothered about learning everything at once but would like to be able to get flying with it without a PC.

IanSR

Yeah, the only reason I connected mine to the computer was to reverse one of the switch checks during startup.

Reactions: FDS

IanSR

Thank you very much. If the protocols were the same my E010 transmitter should work on the E013, but it does not. Neither does the E013 transmitter work on the E010. Consequently, I do not believe the protocols on the quads that I have are the same; perhaps Eachine upgraded the protocol on the E013 (date stamp on the FCB is 201801016 and it has a WIFI label). I am not convinced that the E010 protocol works on my (newer?) E013 FCBs. Although not necessarily an indicator, the boards are quite different physically.

View attachment 121968

Yeah my e013 has the green board.

iFly4Fun

I have more of these E013 FCBs (the newer red ones) and really like them. Since connectors for motors and camera are factory installed, uprades and builds with frame kits are really easy. For me, any transmitter absouletly must bind to this new board. I do really appreciate your help. Thanks.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Can you set up the T12 to run a model without connecting it to a computer? I am not bothered about learning everything at once but would like to be able to get flying with it without a PC.

The DeviationTX software was actually designed such that you do use the TX UI to configure it. You really only configure it via a PC if you like editing text configuration files by hand. I don't believe their's a GUI / configuration app like OpenTX Companion. My first "grown up" TX upgrade was a Devo 8S bought used. I installed DeviationTX 4.x at the time, and loved how flexible it was.

When the Taranis came out, I couldn't resist going with that for even greater flexibility but mostly because I had some serious issues with the main protocols that the Devo 8S supported (DSM2/X and Devention had range issues where I flew) so I really just got the X9D+ which is now my primary TX for the FrSky protocol.

My Devo8S is still used for buddy boxing and simulator use, as is my first Spektrum DX6i. Can never have enough buddy box TX's! I have one of the iRangeX multiprotocol modules to give my X9D the flexibility to fly different protocols (DSM, SLT are the other types of receivers I still have/use)

FDS

Elite member
Can anyone tell me wether the T12 ships with the 4in1 module flashed for EU use? None of the sellers I have found have this info or they say it isn’t flashed with the EU firmware only the FCC version.
Is that just about DSM2 not being EU legal or is it going to get me hassled for interference every time I use it? Also how hard is it to flash the firmware to the MODULE not the radio?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Can anyone tell me wether the T12 ships with the 4in1 module flashed for EU use? None of the sellers I have found have this info or they say it isn’t flashed with the EU firmware only the FCC version.
Is that just about DSM2 not being EU legal or is it going to get me hassled for interference every time I use it? Also how hard is it to flash the firmware to the MODULE not the radio?
That's odd as my Jumper T8SG V2 gives me the option to choose EU or FCC modes!

Reactions: FDS

IanSR

The T12 does too, perhaps I shouldn't say but I can bind with every FRSky protocol receiver version there is (EU, EULBT, FCC etc.).

I'm sure I've seen DSM, DSM2 and DSMX in the options under DSM too, I dunno my "DSM" receiver is a LemonRX thing that works only on DSMX mode and I can bind to that no problem.

I wouldn't worry about accidentally using DSM2 in Europe, PC Incompetent doesn't know the difference between a tinywoop and a super cub and all he will want go see is "z paperz", so he won't be interested in the finer points of what radio frequency you're using.