Jumper T12 (plus) Multi Protocol Transmitter - Review

FDS

Elite member
Right, I have come up against a few T12 problems. Some may be due to my foolishness and will be worked out as I learn. I think these would be useful to people who might be buying one.
  • 4 in 1 module Does NOT bind to newer Eachine 010 boards, the green ones without plugs. This has been confirmed by numerous posts on various forums to be because Eachine changed something in the board. Not got a red board to test with.
  • I have bound it to my Sport Cub but it took an hour of work to get the channels sorted out and SAFE seems not to be activated by switches even if I set them up, plus there seems to be automatic mixing happening which it doesn’t do when set up on the Orange RX6i.
  • I have bound it to a Lemon RX DSM2 receiver, BUT only through the 4/1 multi protocol, not the dedicated chip. In this setting it requires rebinding every time you turn it on, the autobind option is not in the menu.
  • I had no documentation at all shipped with mine.
  • There seems to be a shortage of really clear tutorials, both for common binding (no DSMX, DSM2) and for menu walkthroughs. I realise some are the same as OpenTX, I am looking at a few of those today.
  • It’s a nice sized small TX, with a quality feel. Not good if you have large hands and are a pincher, due to switch placement. My son has smaller hands tho, so it works well for him.
  • I have no computer at present that can run OpenTX companion, I realise this will make it easier to see all the settings to tune them, the screen is small.
  • What RX’s are people using with the T12? A sub $15 one that doesn’t need to rely on the module might be good?
  • Didn’t feel immediately “intuitive” like my TX6i. I had never programmed a TX before when I bought that, in an hour I had all my models loaded, set everything and got into dual rates, expo and mixing.
  • My son wants to build quads, so he will likely make use of more of its possibilities.
  • I am not sure this was the best transmitter for what we are doing, I feel like another TX6i might have been easier.
Any advice greatfully received. I don’t mind a learning curve, but would prefer to avoid a learning cliff. I have successfully programmed lots of micro controller systems in other hobbies after getting idiot proof advice, so I am sure we can find a way round this one, but I am a bit disappointed in this purchase.

Last edited:

IanSR

Can you take a photo of the eachine e010 board? I have one that I purchased last month and it binds just fine.

I have a sport cub too (the big one yes?) you have to assign a switch to channel 5, then safe will work, there should be no mixing in the remote, but the safe itself does some mixing when in novice mode.

The lemon rx, yes of course you always have to select the external module when binding, there is no internal "chip" on the t12, everything goes under MULTI under External RF in the menu, I have attached a copy of a screenshot of mine that is bound to a LemonRX stabiliser+, I don't have to rebind it each time.

As for rx, unless I'm using the lemon, my go to rx is the Frsky XM+ (as most of my models either have an FC or are drones).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
I have put the picture up in this thread so we don’t hijack the OP’s with a side discussion. Thanks for the screenshot, saved it and will look at my sons set up later.

Kendalf

I've been looking into the T12 more after @FDS mentioned it in another thread. I was previously set on a Taranis QX7, but one of my concerns was the width of the QX7. The smaller size of the T12 appeals to me, and it would be easier for my son to handle.

However, one concern I have is that the T12 runs JumperTX, a fork of OpenTX. My concern is that down the line support and updates for JumperTX may be less frequent and less up to date than OpenTX. I'm very curious why Jumper didn't just utilize OpenTX? What is it about the T12 hardware that caused them to make a fork of OpenTX? Oscar Liang's review stated:
One of the reasons it needs to have its own custom firmware is to support the different protocols. When setting up a new module, you have to select which protocol you want to use first. This is really the main difference compared to other radios running OpenTX.

But you can use the Jumper 4in1 module in a Taranis OpenTX radio, so it seems to me that there wasn't anything that technically necessitated forking the firmware for the T12. In doing so, I'm wondering if Jumper is somewhat shooting itself in the foot adding that extra layer of work needed to keep JumperTX in line with OpenTX, unless the goal is for JumperTX to eventually drift farther away from OpenTX, in which case I am wary of going with the smaller sized user base model.

FDS

Elite member
It’s just Open TX as far as I could see, there’s nothing about having to use a different update path in anything I have found, the OS screen just says Open TX2.2.2. What documentation there was (mine had none) just linked Open TX.
The only thing about the Jumper is that it’s physically small in hand, so if you have big hands it might feel a bit cramped vs a larger hand set.
It’s not built like a $300 radio but it doesn’t feel bargain basement. The screen is quite small but the backlighting works well.

Last edited:

iFly4Fun

Just a note, I have trying to get good information about the protocol and binding for my Eachine E013 fleet (photos in previous entry). I have even sent requests to Jumper (company) and to date have gotten NO response from that company; not even an acknowledgement.

FDS

Elite member
The Eachine boards have been changed in some way, they currently don’t bind to the 4:1 module. There’s a 2.2.3 update for the T12 that has some extra protocols. It’s a physical change to the RX components. That’s all the information I could find on the Eachine problem.
There is an FRsky enabled upgrade board available that might cure it but it’s about $25. It’s Betaflight compatible tho, so good for tuning too.

iFly4Fun

Thanks FDS. I have 10 of quads with the E013 boards and they all work well, even with an 85mm frame and 8.5x20mm motors. The E013 boards are good for upgrade "frame" kits due to having connectors for motors and camera...just plug and play. For $13, I have purchased a BETAFPV FPV FC Lite Brushed Flight Controller which comes pre-set-up with the bayang protocol that I will try in the next build. So... for me, it looks like the Jumper is not a viable option at this time. I will keep looking and watching for future updates in this area. Thanks.

iFly4Fun

I use the stock E013 Transmitter that comes with the quad. I bought two packages (quad, transmitter, goggles) for $75 plus shipping (each). Then I found the quad (less transmitter and camera) for less that $10 each...so... I bought a bunch. A pretty good deal since they were complete: frame, motors, FCB, props, and a 220 mAh battery. Any of the transmitters work with any of the E013 quads. (but not my E010s). For a "toy" transmitter it is better than many of the others (E010, F36, H36, etc.). Besides the trim buttons, there is a 360 degree flip button, and three (3) speeds. See image of the transmitter and my 85mm build which handles outside wind pretty good due to the 8.5mm motors.

E013 Transmitter (0001.jpg
85mm Build (0001.jpg

iFly4Fun

I have built a quad with the BETAFPV 65S frame kit and the BETAFPV FPV FC Lite Brushed Flight Controller (this is a plug-and-play build). It works great with my existing Bayang transmitter (which looks jut like the one pictured above). I will use this FCB in an 85mm kit and a custom 3" (prop size) DIY frame that I am building for 8.5x20mm motors. Using the Bayang protocol FPV Lite FCBs might put the Jumper back into consideration as a viable transmitter upgrade.

iFly4Fun

Does anyone out there know if the Jumper T12 will work with the Furibee F36 (and Helifar F36) quads? If so, what protocol and how do you program it? What I know for sure is that it is NOT Bayang, Eachine E013, Eachine E010, nor JJRC H36. I have all of those controllers and it does not work with them. It only works with the native F36 transmitter. Thanks.

FDS

Elite member
It does not work with the Furibee or F36. It’s not in the current firmware. The F36 type boards are the same across several manufacturers and none are currently supported by the 4:1 module.
That’s not to say an update won’t be released for either the 4:1 module or Open TX to give you the protocol that works.

Stratospup

I just got a Jumper T12 as my first radio. I was on the fence over the T8SG V2 or the T12, and ultimately the probability of being able to get help with the radio at the local hobby shop since it uses Open TX won me over. I haven't used it at all yet. I only have a small toy quad (Propel Nano) and I just got all the raw materials to make a template from a Flite Test speed build kit... if only I could decide which one to build first!! I want to use the radio with a simulator before tossing hundreds of dollars in the air :LOL:

I also want to try binding it to my Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 Pro that I just got. I love the video Alex made for Drive On where they run cameras on servos and use a plane transmitter to control the car and the camera rig. The rolly-dials on the sides (technical term) seem perfectly suited to that.

I'll post how all of it goes (or doesn't, in which case I will post my frustration)!

Stratospup

I got the radio working with Realflight Mobile on my Pixel 2 using the USB-C to USB-A (the big flat side of a USB cable that goes into a computer) adapter that comes in the box with the phone. I plugged that into the Mini-USB cable the T12 came with and it worked! Sorta. I had to invert a few channels first in the Model Setup, Page 7:

CH1 Ailerons - leave Direction blank
CH2 Elevators - change Direction to INV
CH3 Throttle - change Direction to INV
CH4 Rudder - change Direction to INV
Edit: Actually I am not sure CH4 / rudder is used in the simulator, or maybe I have the channel wrong. I am unable to control my direction of travel the runway while taxiing.

I also turned off External RF to save battery when flying in the sim, and in the radio setup I turned the battery low warning down to 4 V (I am using 4 AA batteries ATM until I get a proper LiPo battery and charger, but I figure I'll do that when I get closer to building my first FT plane, which I just ordered! FT Explorer here I come!)

Last edited:

Greg Smith

I would greatly appreciate any help. I have managed to program my jumper T12 pro, recently bought, and my first Open Tx device, for a new microbirds flying wing, which only took about seven hours of frustration and online reading. BUT 1) I don't know how to get from model select and setup to general settings (in spite of having been there several times, I'm stuck now) and 2) I cannot get my Orange 610V2 Lite Rx to bind. I am set to 'multi' to 'DSM' and I've tried all the DSM variants just now: because of the screen organization, I only just realized that they are there, but it still didn't work. In the final resort, can anyone suggest a Rx that will bind and is very light, like the 610? I feel pretty smug to have even got this far, but the 'for sale' route is still a possibility. I do really like the size and feel of the T12. Thanks in advance.