Just bought a new Taranis +...is this normal?

Barograph

Hi, I hate to make my first post a dumb question, but I need to know.

I just bought a new Taranis+ and noticed some weirdness when charging, such as inconsistent behavior of the charging LED.

Now after getting the battery charged the radio will power up, but when you shut it off it will not turn on again until you unplug and replug the battery. It will power up once and then not again until power plug is un/replugged.

Is this normal? Am I missing something on this wonderfully complex radio?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
That indeed seems odd. Have you changed the software on it yet? Can you navigate via the menus to see the version of the software you have running in it? Welcome to the FT Forums! There's a lot of OpenTX/Taranis folks here (I'm assuming you have a X9D+?)

I did a quick google search, and it's possible that having an sdcard that either isn't working properly or had the wrong contents on it (not matching the version of the software installed on the TX) could cause this problem according to this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2629377-Taranis-won-t-turn-off-after-firmware-update

Last edited:

Barograph

First, thanks for the reply.
Second, I have not changed the software in any way yet.
Third, yes, once it's turned on I can navigate the menus. The firmware is opentx-taranis-plus 2.1.6 2015-12-29
Fourth Yes it's a X9D+

Thanks for the link. I tried cleaning the micro SD card and reseating it several times and it made no difference.
Still a one shot TX.

I contacted the vendor but only got a canned response so far. This could be a test of customer service.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I had really odd behavior with my new x9D+ until flashing the latest OpenTX on it. Has been rock solid ever since. I'd suggest a firmware update.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Barograph

Hey RCdyi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it did not help. To turn this radio on you have to first unplug and then re-plug the power plug. Without the SD card I don't get the voice announcement which I think must live on the sd card.

I'm new to Open TX but I don't think this TX is acting right.

I am really reluctant to flash the thing until it's working correctly. Don't want a brick right off the bat. So far this 2.4 stuff has been a disappointment.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You may be in the same boat I was in that it will never work right without flashing the firmware.

LB

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Flashing is very simple, and you can always reflash to previous versions if you mess something up. I won't say you "can't" brick it, but after all I've been through with three different Taranis models, I'm confident saying it's incredibly improbable. Getting it on the latest firmware is step 1.

Barograph

Will upgrading it effect my warranty or ability to get service/support with the vendor? I'd like to know why it's broken right out of the box.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
It's sort of easy to forget that transmitters today are really computers, and all their functionality is in software. Heck, even the receivers have firmware you may need to update (now possible through the tx in many cases).

It's not unheard of for stock software to have bugs, but this case does seem odd.

I have a friend who bought a spektrum dx6 two years ago that went into a test mode and wasn't usable until we slaved it with a buddy box tx then upgraded the firmware to prevent it from happening again.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Will upgrading it effect my warranty or ability to get service/support with the vendor? I'd like to know why it's broken right out of the box.

It sounds like yours is doing EXACTLY what mine was out of the box. Maybe you got one from the same batch I did and they weren't flashed correctly from the factory. Updating to the latest openTX will not void the warranty.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It could be something as simple as the little rocker switch in the charger port is stuck and is not completing the circuit properly. It could also be one or more of the internal connectors is not seated properly. You can carefully open the case and check these things without voiding any warranties as you HAVE to open the case to adjust spring tensions on the sticks so a peek inside is worth the effort. there have been several people here whom have had loose connectors from the factory with the X9D's already. Who knows if it was bad assembly or a really hard knock at just the perfect angle during shipping.

Barring all that I am with the others flash the firmware and load the newest version for the SD card that matches. (easier done directly copying from your computers card reader to the card) You could actually load the newest radio firmware on the card and flash from that while you are at it.

Here is a series how to update and set up the Taranis start to finish including LUA scripts so you can tune pids and other settings right from the radio in the field. Bookmark his main page too btw. Between Joshua Bardwell and Painless360 videos you can find and solve most any RC related issue.

Barograph

Thank you all for the advise. I flashed it up to 2.2.1 and it behaved exactly the same way. I think I got a dud.

Barograph

All good now but wondering why this happens

Thread update:

The vendor replaced the TX. All good! Thanks Aloft!

Good times with the radio. Lots of great help online. Great community.

At this point I've successfully setup various models, but I can not figure out why I have to recalibrate after every eeprom update. I have messed with the radio profile but every time I download models to the radio I have to recalibrate the sticks and pots. I'm sure I'm missing it, but it's crazy making.

You all are so helpful, what am I missing?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think this will fix what 'ails you.

1. Calibrate the radio.
2. Open Companion, connect the transmitter, and read the settings.
3. In the "Radio Settings" tab of the model, click on "Store calib. and hw settings in selected profile"

This should set your computer to have the same calibration settings from the radio, and now whenever you update the radio from companion it will have the correct info.

However, it's also late at night and a smarter / more awake person might have a better answer for you in the morning :)

Companion.png

RCdiy

RCdiy
So that we’re on the same page.
What do you mean by dowload models to the radio?
why are you doing this?
After a firmware update the models should remain unchanged.
If you have an otx file on the pc don’t open it and write to the radio becayse the calibration gets overwritten.
Read the models from the radio, edit and write back. This way calibration is retained.

Barograph

I think this will fix what 'ails you.

1. Calibrate the radio.
2. Open Companion, connect the transmitter, and read the settings.
3. In the "Radio Settings" tab of the model, click on "Store calib. and hw settings in selected profile"

This should set your computer to have the same calibration settings from the radio, and now whenever you update the radio from companion it will have the correct info.

However, it's also late at night and a smarter / more awake person might have a better answer for you in the morning :)

View attachment 102249

Thanks. That was what I missed. U/L calibration to Companion.