FrSky Taranis Range Problems

TKelly

So I will start with the problem. I am using the Taranis X9D with a D4R-ii receiver and am having horrible range issues. I am getting sub 100 yards of range and using the range tester I get a few feet before the lights go red on the receiver.

Its been a semi ongoing problem throughout the summer and I hadn't really attempted to fix it until recently. My first thought was that it was because I had a damaged antenna on the receiver. So I replaced that and it had no affect on the range of the quad. Next thought was perhaps a damaged receiver from a crash. Bought a new receiver to test and same results. Next thought was bad power distribution. So I took off the receiver and used a battery to power it, and the same poor range resulted. Basically I am out of ideas at this point, maybe I am missing a function on the radio itself or there is some internal damage for some unknown reason. I do believe the transmitter battery is adequately charged so I don't think that is the problem. But if you guys have any ideas I am all ears.

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

You replaced the transmitter antenna? The antenna cable is soldered and replacing it requires fine soldering.

Something else you can try, check the SWR value (get it on the telemetry page). With a good antenna it should be close to zero, although values of up to 16 are no big concern. Now the taranis normally warns you if there is an antenna problem. Ive cracked mine and the wire was damaged, on boot the taranis gave me a warning. I dont know how bad the problem has to be before it warns. Did you ever get that? Its possible you ignored it and kept using it, and with the transmitter not able to put out its power through the damaged antenna, it fried itself.

TKelly

You replaced the transmitter antenna? The antenna cable is soldered and replacing it requires fine soldering.

Something else you can try, check the SWR value (get it on the telemetry page). With a good antenna it should be close to zero, although values of up to 16 are no big concern. Now the taranis normally warns you if there is an antenna problem. Ive cracked mine and the wire was damaged, on boot the taranis gave me a warning. I dont know how bad the problem has to be before it warns. Did you ever get that? Its possible you ignored it and kept using it, and with the transmitter not able to put out its power through the damaged antenna, it fried itself.

Oh sorry I didn't clarify. The transmitter has never been damaged physically. I replaced one of the antenna on the receiver because it was damaged in a crash. I will check out the SWR value.

MrClean

I forget where but you can purchase the RF board in the TX from some place and it comes with the attachable Transmitter not a solder on. If you have a damaged RF board or antennae it may be the way to go.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
What's your quad frame made of (carbon fiber, G10, wood, plastic, etc)? How do you have the RX and antennas mounted and in what orientation?

ZoomNBoom

I forget where but you can purchase the RF board in the TX from some place and it comes with the attachable Transmitter not a solder on. If you have a damaged RF board or antennae it may be the way to go.

I believe Aloft used to sell them with those tiny ULF connectors (same as on the receivers), but afaics, they no longer do. Im not sure they are allowed to sell it, the whole reason the antenna is soldered on the board is FCC regulation concerning user replaceable antenna's. Aloft still do sell the ULF connectors, but you might as well then just solder the antenna, thats gonna be easier and you're not likely to do that very often.

When I broke my antenna, I ordered a new one and bought a XJT module for in the back, just in case I botched the solder job. Not sure Id recommend that approach, as I have had issues with the external module cutting out briefly when the transmitter is being 'shaken' or when I push in the wrong spot. Nearly cost me a DLG, when upon release, failsafe activated for a fraction of a second (failsafe was set for full flaps, at a full speed throw, it will loop like mad).

For the record, since I posted about the above incident before, initially I thought it was due to the proximity causing the failsafe, but meanwhile I found out I can trigger it by shaking, or by tossing DLG's :). Havent been able to locate yet where the bad contact is, its not in the antenna, its these pins in the bay I suspect.

Last edited:

TKelly

What's your quad frame made of (carbon fiber, G10, wood, plastic, etc)? How do you have the RX and antennas mounted and in what orientation?

I have done my range testing both on and off the quad, but these extreme range issues seem beyond simple antenna orientation. But I have tried antenna orientation.

And for RSSI values up close I am fluctuating a lot. I have the receiver 3 ft away from me right now and the rssi value is in the 60's. But I'm not really to sure how indicative of true signal strength those numbers are.

Oh someone asked about SWR value earlier, it is 0.

Last edited:

ruud

I just looked at a few log files from mine, my RSSI value tends to be between 80 and 100 when close to my planes and between 55 and 75 or so while flying. This is with an (original, non-plus) Taranis and various D4R and D6FR receivers. So if you're getting 60 while close to your receiver, that would be indicative of a bad RF link. Of course, can't tell from that whether the problem is with the TX or RX.

ZoomNBoom

I have done my range testing both on and off the quad, but these extreme range issues seem beyond simple antenna orientation. But I have tried antenna orientation.

And for RSSI values up close I am fluctuating a lot. I have the receiver 3 ft away from me right now and the rssi value is in the 60's. But I'm not really to sure how indicative of true signal strength those numbers are.

Oh someone asked about SWR value earlier, it is 0.

Zero is the best case. Now cover the antenna (tx) with your hand , see if it fluctuates. It should go up. If it doesnt, either SWR isnt working with your firmware/revision or, and thats why I suspect, somehow your radio got fried and is only transmitting at a tiny fraction of its normal power.

BTW, the RSSI numbers are absolutely trustworthy. They are reported by your receiver. Below 42 it becomes critical and around 38 I believe, failsafe kicks in. Do note that each 6dB worth of RSSI is a doubling of range (in theory), but 60 rssi at 3ft, aint right. Id expect more in range check mode when tx power is only like 0.1% of normal power.

TKelly

Zero is the best case. Now cover the antenna (tx) with your hand , see if it fluctuates. It should go up. If it doesnt, either SWR isnt working with your firmware/revision or, and thats why I suspect, somehow your radio got fried and is only transmitting at a tiny fraction of its normal power.

BTW, the RSSI numbers are absolutely trustworthy. They are reported by your receiver. Below 42 it becomes critical and around 38 I believe, failsafe kicks in. Do note that each 6dB worth of RSSI is a doubling of range (in theory), but 60 rssi at 3ft, aint right. Id expect more in range check mode when tx power is only like 0.1% of normal power.

There was no change in my SWR value when covered with me hand. Do you think perhaps I could update the firmware and that might be a solution? My version is opentx-x9d-v1.1.02

And yeah it seems like its a power issue, like it isn't pushing any power at all. I make it like 10ft in range check mode before it kicks out.

ZoomNBoom

There was no change in my SWR value when covered with me hand. Do you think perhaps I could update the firmware and that might be a solution? My version is opentx-x9d-v1.1.02

Thats ancient firmware, under any other circumstance I would urge you to update, but I cant see how it relates to your problem which is far more serious than old firmware.

Is it still under warranty? Do you know if your radio ever had normal range?

Basically there are only two possibilities I see:
1) you do have a damaged antenna, but the original frsky firmware doesnt do SWR and doesnt warn for antenna damage. I have no idea if the latter is the case, but it would surprise me.

2) most likely: your tx module is toast. This could be as a result from 1, or for whatever other reason. If your radio is no longer under warranty, you'll need to buy a new tx module, like here:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/backboard.html

Note that it doesnt come with an antenna or antenna connector, buy that separately:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/taranis-antenna-solder-on.html

(wouldnt re-use your old one, just in case its part of the problem)

if you're not comfortable soldering that, contact aloft or your local reseller for a repair.

One last thing, just read this on aloft site: "If your radio's serial number ends in B02, then you should have an IPX connector on your radio, you will want the IPX version of this antenna." Do check that. Precious few of these got sold, but you're one of them, you should check the ipx connector and you could just try another antenna, it wouldnt need any soldering.

ZoomNBoom

ok, one final thought. I doubt its even possible, but both your flying and testing are they done in the same spot, where there could be a monumental source of interference? I mean, I think you'd need to have like a radar installation in your backyard to get this level of rssi drop, but I might be wrong on that, and who knows.

TKelly

Okay thanks for the info, I will have to contact aloft hobbies because that's where I bought it from last december. I remember having good range before and I have no idea what could have caused the change. My only source of interference would be houses and power lines. But I have flown in the same area since I started flying this year and it was like one day I had range, then the next, no range. And like I said the radio is in prime condition. Since it was the most expensive single thing that I bought I have made sure to take excellent care of it.

arizona98tj

Something else you can try, check the SWR value (get it on the telemetry page).

Not all Taranis transmitters have a functioning SWR sensor. They made a run of them where the SWR was disabled....if you dig through the various FrSky related forums, you can find this. I know mine will not indicate SWR. So just because it reads 0 doesn't mean you are good to go....it can mean you simply have no sensor and so it reads 0. It is not a firmware issue, it was a change in hardware that disabled SWR.

Last edited: