Just bought a Taranis Pro. Now I need a cheap buddy box for my son

palmlart

Just bought a Taranis X9D Plus. Now I need a cheap buddy box for my son

I just bought a Taranis X9D Plus. But I need a cheap second transmitter that I can use as a buddy box for my son to teach him how to fly. I am not sure if all the different brands of transmitters can be used as "Buddy Box" for the Taranis. Can the cheap Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 ($25) be connected to the Taranis? What other cheap transmitters can I use as the buddy box?

I guess what I am asking do all mfg make it so that any transmitter can be a buddy box to other mfg transmitter or do they have a their own special buddy box system and cord.

Thanks for the help. I am getting back into the hobby (last time I flew was 1989 and I had to have frequency flags) and I could not find any help on the forums for this. I am sure it is out there but the search did not pull anything up after about an hour of looking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9042__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html

Last edited:

Grauwulf

I would say pick up a cheap, used Spectrum DX4e or DX5e. You can strip the transmitter module out to build a DSM2/DSMX module for your Taranis and you should be able to use the rest as a buddy box. :)

bitogre

I just bought a Taranis pro.

Taranis Pro???? What is that? I have not heard of a "Pro" version of a Taranis. Do you mean Taranis Plus or is there a new version of Taranis I need to look into?

I would say pick up a cheap, used Spectrum DX4e or DX5e. You can strip the transmitter module out to build a DSM2/DSMX module for your Taranis and you should be able to use the rest as a buddy box. :)

I aggree with Grauwulf's suggestion. If you want more information on "strip the transmitter module out to build a DSM2/DSMX module for your Taranis," you can find more information in a Flite Test forum thread.

I use a turnigy 9x as a buddy box with my Taranis. Works great. It is about $60 on Hobby King. The 9x is decent enough that your son could use it when he doesn't need to have you buddy box with him anymore.

palmlart

I use a turnigy 9x as a buddy box with my Taranis. Works great. It is about $60 on Hobby King. The 9x is decent enough that your son could use it when he doesn't need to have you buddy box with him anymore.

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something to use as a buddy box as well as a stand alone.

Taranis Pro???? What is that? I have not heard of a "Pro" version of a Taranis. Do you mean Taranis Plus or is there a new version of Taranis I need to look into?

I aggree with Grauwulf's suggestion. If you want more information on "strip the transmitter module out to build a DSM2/DSMX module for your Taranis," you can find more information in a Flite Test forum thread.

Sorry for the typo. I have updated the post with the correct name.