Need Help! - Major struggle with Frsky Radio and Receiver connections

jidonavan

So I know how annoying the Frsky binding process can be. I got into the hobby around 2 years ago and waded through it without much outside help. Recently though i got some friends into the hobby and i have been helping them so they don't have to go through some of the challenging parts on their own. One friend went with the Taranis X9 Lite radio (which I believe runs ACCESS) and the X8R receiver. Out of box it would not bind and after hours of trying different things I finally updated the firmware and it bound instantly! My other friend had the Taranis Q X7 radio (which is what I have) that he bought used, but reset to factory settings, and the X8R receiver. He also had a binding issues so I figured receiver firmware was the issue with his also. I tried that fix but it just would not bind after hours of messing with it so i gave up for the day and went to fly my plane. When I plugged everything in my receiver did not connect to my transmitter, which is really odd seeing that i have not had issues with it since first bound it a couple years ago. I tried binding it again and it just wouldn't bind. I had only used it to write firmware to receivers and used it with Open TX to copy firmware. I am out of options, so any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I am currently running 2.3.7 on my transmitter. My receiver is updated to the latest version. I tried updating my transmitter to 2.3.9 and 2.3.12 ACCESS which are the two newest firmwares on Frsky website but it will not go through. It even says flashing done but it still shows 2.3.7 after restarting it. Can you even put a ACCESS firmware on an ACCST transmitter? I you need more details just ask.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Frsky is difficult to bind, so many different protocols and settings. I have one Frsky receiver, it through me for a loop trying to bind it. One of many problems, the light is solid when not bound and blinks when bound. The opposite of every other Rx I have.

Here is a video that may help.

Bricks

Master member
I never could understand why FrySky did not make there newer transmitters backwards compatible it was just stupid to me, like shooting yourself in the foot.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So I know how annoying the Frsky binding process can be. I got into the hobby around 2 years ago and waded through it without much outside help. Recently though i got some friends into the hobby and i have been helping them so they don't have to go through some of the challenging parts on their own. One friend went with the Taranis X9 Lite radio (which I believe runs ACCESS) and the X8R receiver. Out of box it would not bind and after hours of trying different things I finally updated the firmware and it bound instantly! My other friend had the Taranis Q X7 radio (which is what I have) that he bought used, but reset to factory settings, and the X8R receiver. He also had a binding issues so I figured receiver firmware was the issue with his also. I tried that fix but it just would not bind after hours of messing with it so i gave up for the day and went to fly my plane. When I plugged everything in my receiver did not connect to my transmitter, which is really odd seeing that i have not had issues with it since first bound it a couple years ago. I tried binding it again and it just wouldn't bind. I had only used it to write firmware to receivers and used it with Open TX to copy firmware. I am out of options, so any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I am currently running 2.3.7 on my transmitter. My receiver is updated to the latest version. I tried updating my transmitter to 2.3.9 and 2.3.12 ACCESS which are the two newest firmwares on Frsky website but it will not go through. It even says flashing done but it still shows 2.3.7 after restarting it. Can you even put a ACCESS firmware on an ACCST transmitter? I you need more details just ask.

One common issue with FRsky is when they change revisions in opentx a new sd card revision is also released. If the revisions dont match that causes issues but used to throw warnings not sure now though as its been a long time since I updated my radio. Check on the sd card issue and see if that is the problem. Most times you can download the new version then copy over your old one to the new one and just over write the empty duplicate folders. SAVE EVERYTHING in several places just in case BEFORE trying to update the cards.