Just got a vinyl cutter to add detail to my airplanes

jerryn

I got a Silhouette Portrait 3 because I can use it with Linux. The cutter makes it easier to add some detail to your r/c aircraft. I wanted my AR Wing to look like a US Navy drone. Here's what I have so far
IMG_20210708_215918909.jpg

Turbojoe

Elite member
I plan to do the same thing. I just now pulled the trigger on the Cricut Explore Air 2 +everything bundle before they sold out. I just hope I can figure out how to use the bloody thing when it gets here.

Joe

jerryn

I plan to do the same thing. I just now pulled the trigger on the Cricut Explore Air 2 +everything bundle before they sold out. I just hope I can figure out how to use the bloody thing when it gets here.

Joe
You will figure it out, no problem. It was pretty easy to grab a US Navy stencil font and star + stripes image from the internet. I ran the Silhouette Studio tracer app on the image and imported the font. The hardest part is peeling away the transfer tape without pulling off the decals, then again I didn't have transfer paper and used painter's tape.

Good luck.

bwarz

Master member
I got a brother scan-n-cut for the same thing. I use Inkscape on Linux with their software (canvas) having an online version. added benefit I can color print graphics printer, put the paper on the mat, scan it, and cut it out:p

Turbojoe

Elite member
I went ahead and downloaded the Cricut Design Space software. Not terribly pleased with it as far as fonts go. Cricut wants $4.99 for almost all fonts from them. I found a few free font download sites that I'm currently filling a hard drive with font files so I'll be ready when the machine gets here. I probably won't be doing much more than cutting out letters for a while. Any recommendations for vinyl decal sheets other than from Cricut? I see a lot of third party stuff on Amazon but not sure if it is any good for R/C use. (No glow power).

Joe