Lazier-J, J-Series (This is it! No more!)

synjin

Elite member
Okay, this is the last one in the J-Series! After this it's back to tandems.

Anyway, I was going to put the J's aside, but I had the whole Lazy Bee out of foamboard thing in my head. So, I pulled out the Lazy-J plans, widened the wings, moved the dihedral lines out to make them polyhedrals, changed the wing-saddle on the fuselage, and modified the nose profile. I had to increase the size of the tail surfaces to keep it similar to the Lazy Bee's. I'd have put 2" foam wheels on it but didn't have any, so I repurposed wheels off of a dead Mini Scout.

Threw it up in the air for a maiden today. Got the CG right and it only took a little trimming to fly straight and level. It's slow. Slower than the Lazy-J, and it's much slower than the J-3 Cubbish. I feel confident that I can fly this in an elementary school gym it can be so slow. On the other hand it can go when it's throttled up. It loops, rudder rolls, kind of wing-overs...as much as any three channel can. I was surprised.

On the other hand, I think that this is as far as I can go in this series and still use an A Pack for power. A 2205 motor might be better. I'd intended to put a 2205 1400Kv motor on it with a 7" prop, but I wanted to see if the 1806 would fly it. There's a half ounce of weight in the nose, and I also had to use a 3S 900maH battery to balance it. The other two J's balance with 2S 900maH batteries.

Lazier-J
by Andrew Long/synjin

Motor: 1806 2400Kv
ESC: 12a
Wingspan: 30.25 Inches
Length: 20.5 Inches
Weight (without battery): 200g-ish
2 5g Servoes (but you could use 9g servoes as well)
Version 1
IMG_5795.jpeg

IMG_5796.jpeg

IMG_5797.jpeg

IMG_5799.jpeg

The J-Series.
IMG_5801.jpeg

IMG_5818.jpeg

Here are Version 1 plans should anyone want to build one.

Edit: Redesigned the fuselage to reduce twist while building.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Lazier-J MkII.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
It’s never good to make declarations like, “No more!“ ‘cause then there’s going to be more. On a whim, I decided to try a folded wing on the Lazier-J. For some reason I thought it would fly faster since the airfoil was smoother... and I’d put a 2208 motor on it (as I suspected the 1806 motor wasn’t really powerful enough to pull around the Lazier-J wing).

The Lazier-J can be kind of sporty but this plane on the contrary is slower and more docile. I used the same throws on it as I did on the Lazier-J but it seems like it will need more elevator and rudder to move that big folded wing around. Edit: Okay, once I figured out that the elevator push rod was binding and fixed that, this one is as sporty as the Lazier-J. It’s still a nice flier and easy to control, and it has a much better glide than the Lazier-J. I kept running out of my intended runway.

I suppose you could take the polyhedral out of the wing and give it ailerons. I’m not sure how it would fly though. It would probably be all right, but it would be a different experience. I may add ailerons to this one to see, but I'll need to keep the servoes right on the CG.

Really, what I was going for on these planes was an easy to build and easy to fly three channel airplane. The folded wing isn’t that much more involved to make than the under camber wing (other than taking most of a sheet of foam board), and it does fly nicely.

I call this the Other-J. Plans are here.

Attachments

• 14107215-3119-429D-947A-07D37625B63F.jpeg
    14107215-3119-429D-947A-07D37625B63F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • C3F0D2E9-1BF7-4245-AF86-5A8608BC2BD4.jpeg
    C3F0D2E9-1BF7-4245-AF86-5A8608BC2BD4.jpeg
    976.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Other-J Plans.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
I lied. I’m back to this design. One of the guys at the field (read: big empty lot next to Walmart) said, “Could you make that bigger and put a bigger motor in it?” Hmmm, I suppose...

155% bigger thanks to Inkscape. The original is behind the new build. Inspired by the Lazy Bee, so I’ll call it the Big Lazier-J (this is what happens when you slap a Lazy Bee-ish wing on a J-3 inspired fuselage). 45” wingspan and a 2216 1150kV motor out of my dead Storch. Hopefully, it will balance with a 3S 2200maH battery. We’ve had a lot of snow, so I’ll need skis before I can maiden it.

This is what happens when you stay up late on a Friday after the wife has fallen asleep.
A063D63D-DAA6-42B1-8E81-2D7383F8DA6F.jpeg

Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
Turns out the above expanded version flew horribly. I did, however, go back to the original size and make a FT style folded wing version that flies nicely and has more glide than the under camber wing.