Learning to fly FPV instead of LoS

SiDiX

I am currently flying a lil Nano QX. I am still in the stability mode (with increased rates) but i can zip around my yard and obstacles pretty easily now. Once i go into agility i am finding it really hard to fly line of site (LoS). I tried using my controller with a simulator in FPV and holy crap is that 100x easier. i was able to take off auto level and use fairly high rates. It feels so much more natural to fly FPV. The idea was to fly the nano over the winter indoors and then in the spring build a FPV quad. My main question is am i doing myself a dis service by wanting to switch to FPV now when my LoS ( withno auto leveling) is not that great?

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I disagree.

There will eventually come a point where you are flying FPV within LOS range and due to whatever reason, you will need to switch out of FPV and back to LOS. A good pilot can do either reliably, and that can make a difference between a crash and a quick save . . . or flyaway . . . or endangering something on the ground.

I know it's harder, but becoming a better pilot requires taking the harder path from time to time.

earthsciteach

I agree with Dan. Now, it may be darned near impossible to fly a Nano QX LOS much more than 20 feet away since the thing is so tiny. Learn to fly LOS, too. You will loose vid signal sooner or later.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Any practice you get on the sticks is good either sim or real time. The only drawback is like you said the computer sim can be way to easy and not be as realistic as possible. Now that you have control over your quad and have a "Feel" for it I would say mess around in the sim settings to make the sim have a similar "Feel" that way stick time on both will be beneficial.

Even if you don't go that far the stick time over the winter will still help as you will be doing more aggressive things I am sure as we all do.

As for FPV I also find it easier to be more smooth as you have a horizon to aid in the visuals as well as not having to try and maneuver a speck out in the distance. The LOS also helps to train your mind how the quad reacts which is necessary in FPV specially when it comes to altitude control after flips or rolls I have found. I can do los flips and rolls and stay at a nice even level but for some reason am to soft on the throttle after doing something when in FPV. Needless to say the entire front of my quad is green speckles from getting to low and trimming the field or crashing in it.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Good advice from all... I just want to add that acro mode on the NanoQX compared to say, acro mode on a larger 250 sized quad are two very different things.

I can fly all day in acro mode (LOS or FPV) with a mini quad, but when I try acro mode on the nanoqx, I'm really limited to trying to hover or trying to get back into a hover after some pattern flight. That's if I keep 100% rates with no expo. If I fly acro on the nanoqx, I would need low rates and expo to control it without over correction.

It actually more reminds me of collective pitch heli flying. It's like balancing a marble on a cafeteria food tray while standing on one foot while holding a lit candle.... on ice.

SiDiX

Ok so its not just me with the NanoQX... its extremely twitchy. I increased the rates in the stability mode and it is definitely alot more fun to fly around. Ive got a lil carbon fiber frame coming to 'rebuild' it. I guess i will see how it flies after that. Best bet is to just stick with the LoS flying in the agility mode?

Ocean

This question always divides people. My opinion is that it is importantly to have some good LOS skills. But you can switch to FPV once you've mastered a right or left hand turn. No point learning to do a figure 8 or harder. Its much easier FPV in my experience!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
One thing people forget. you can always adjust the expos to calm down a twitchy quad or lower them as you gain skill and confidence. There is no need to go cookie cutter spec of everyone else. Fiddle around and find what works for you.

If that doesn't work you can always lower the travel adjustments or end points a bit as long as you stay the same on both ends so you don't screw up the balance of the FC. I do that on my Runner 250 when I teach people to start flying. I limit throttle to 70% cut the travels back to 80% and then open them up more and more as people show they can handle it in horizon mode and keep it reasonably at one altitude.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
+1 what Dan said.

I find it difficult to tune in FPV. I find it difficult to fly an un-tuned copter.

Eventually, you will need the skill. The sooner you learn, the better you can tune and the better FPV will be. Ocean has a fine point here too. There is no need to learn to fly 'nose in' LOS to tune. You only have to learn to catch the copter from a vigorous move.

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
I'm thirding that the NanoQX is especially twitchy.

I have some trouble with quads flying nose in. I have zero trouble with r/c cars, or planes. I think it relates to the airframe (or chassis) providing some restriction on the path of the vehicle. A plane is going to travel "in the general direction of the fuselage" while a multicopter can go, more or less, any which way.

Ocean

+1 what Dan said.

I find it difficult to tune in FPV. I find it difficult to fly an un-tuned copter.

Eventually, you will need the skill. The sooner you learn, the better you can tune and the better FPV will be. Ocean has a fine point here too. There is no need to learn to fly 'nose in' LOS to tune. You only have to learn to catch the copter from a vigorous move.

I agree with cranial, there will be a point where you will need to use some LOS skills. However I have found it easier to tune FPV mainly because I can see exactly if the quad is oscillating and drifting. But just use whatever works for you at the end of it.