Linkage problem...help

Kronblom

Hi everybody,

I am rather new with scratch builds and after one year of straying into multirotors I'm now back wanting to try all the FT swappables.

After almost finishing the FT Delta I am now really frustrated. There is only one thing I just can't seem to find a good way of doing, and that is setting up linkages/control horns & push rods.

No matter what odds and bits I've gathered/bought it always is an issue when it comes to set up the linkage.

Take the FT delta as an example. Ok, I have two servos to work with, how hard can it be? Well first of all, when I finally found some linkage stoppers they were to big for the servo arm holes on my mini 9g servo. Second, after drilling the hole bigger they do fit, but now I'm not sure the nut below won't fall off while flying. If I tighten it to much the linkage stopper on top won't pivot in the hole and the push rod will bend. If to loose, well...no idea if it will stay put. Needless to say the reviews of these linkage stoppers with nuts don't get good reviews.

So what did I do? Well I put a modifed Z-bend (Snake bend) on the servo arm and a standard Z-bend on the control horn with a V-bend someplace in between. This on a 1mm musical wire. Well, the V-bend was to small so I can't get a grip on it with pliers to adjust so the elevon position is as is now. (=In other words, not good)

Sorry for all the rambling, but I'm really frustrated right now and I remember the reason I started with multirotors was to get away from all this push rod issue.

All the build videos makes it look so easy, and I would really like to finish a build but for some reason this last part is a big hurdle for me.

How do you all do it? What material for the rods are you using? Is there an easy way of doing it that I am missing?

Help and tips are really appreciated.
Thanks.

eagle4

Hey mate, for the little nut at the bottom of the linkage stopper, a little drop of blue lock tight will sort that right out. no vibrations will shake it loose. dont get the super strong stuff, as you'll never be able to get it off if you ever need to ;)

as for just putting in the wire. some people will put a V in the wire between the servo and the control horn, this will allow you to lengthen of shorten the wire by just tightening the V or expanding it. I cant find an image online quickly for it. but imagine your pushrood would look like this

Z___^____L

(where z and l are your z bend and l bend)

The V could be roughly 1.5cm tall and the same wide. this should give you enough space to adjust it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I've also put a tiny drop of Hot Glue on the very end of the linkage stopper.

The linkage stopper shouldn't be on tight -- you just need something to keep it from slipping off the horn.

Last edited:

William A

Billy did it....
Something like these makes it easy. Threaded with clasp on one end and Z-bend on the other.

Attachments

• linkage.jpg
    linkage.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 164

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
If I'm feeling lazy I just mount the servos really close to the control surfaces and use paper clips.

I don't know why I wrote an article on it, it seems rather unnecessary. But I think I just wanted to share the idea. http://www.flitetest.com/articles/paper-clip-control-linkages

Anyways, I haven't had any issues with using paper clips. Other than CG issues created by having the servos mounted on the tail. Once in a while the paper clips will get bent from a crash, but you just bend them back and it's fine.

Kronblom

Hi,

I ended up by going back to the linkage stoppers I had, and used CA on the nut. We'll see how that holds up. :/

- William A: Those would be nice to get a hold of, got any link? :)

Thanks.

ghost civic

Hi,

I ended up by going back to the linkage stoppers I had, and used CA on the nut. We'll see how that holds up. :/

- William A: Those would be nice to get a hold of, got any link? :)

Thanks.

I was ever lazier, and just slapped some hot glue on the nut as that is what I had handy. hopefully that glue will keep the nut from backing off.

dutchmonkey

i use hot glue to hold the nut on the linkage stopper has not let me down yet and i usually have to glue gun going at the time