List of Things To Bring to a Flying Event

crash bandicoot

I heard this question on the Podcast last night and thought it was a good question. What do you bring to a flying event?
I am coming to Flitefest and it will be my first event. So far from some chatter I have some basics down.

1. AMA card so I can fly
2. A foldable table to work on stuff
3. My crash kit -hot glue and extra foam.
4. And umbrella or tent to stay out of the sun it sounds like is a good idea.
5. Batteries, do most people charge off their car? Or do they have a charging area?
6. Spare parts for everything.
7. Sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses.
8. Label stuff, my planes, my mobius, etc. I'm guessing there will be alot of similar product to mine since I got the idea from FT
9. Water seems like a good one since most of these are in the summer.
10. A grill to make food.

So what am I missing? Antying too obvious? Other than my Tx and some planes.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Most common thing I saw was average meds (sinus and such).
Next was visine and sunglasses.
Then I can promise you that you'll want to jot things down, and would suggest a small pad and pen, but I suspect smart phones and tablets are the standard now. So don't forget your charger.
Don't ask me why but I was always giving out ziplock bags since I keep 'em in my kit, so I guess there's a bunch of things they come in handy for.
I'm new to EP, but a new friend keeps one of those canned air duster things in his box and I've borrowed it myself after a high speed vertical landing left a mysterious dirt lookig substance in my 1100kv landing gear.

Frank

Team_Monkey

I attend a few camping-flying events each year. It really is a blast and the best way to make great life long friends in this hobby. You have a good handle on your list of supplies already and there are good hints above too. Each person's priorities and planes are different so I'll just throw out a few ideas to get you thinking of your own supplies.
-It's easy to overpack so try to think about what you'll need.
--- Do you need a whole bag of glue sticks or will 3-4 do?
---A few skewers, CF tube, popsickle sticks, etc... are easier to pack than whole boxes of them.
-If you're bringing a dozen planes are you really going to be doing a lot of repairs or just fly another one?
-Don't forget the pilot. Sunscreen, a hat, daytime hydration too. Apples, peanuts and jerky are great snacks to stay level headed. :cool:
---I would wager Flitefest will be a 'dry' event being it is so family friendly so you can likely skip the beer but who knows.
-Wait for site details to pack food unless you have an easy travel sized camp grill.
-Always pack 2-3 rolls of toilet paper depending on the length of the event.
-A quick Google will tell you what stores are nearby for supplies too.
-Even if there are no showers available, baby wipes at night and a hot shave in the morning can make you feel refreshed.

Now go in your back yard and fly all day, charging from your car. That will show you what we forgot.:D
See you in July!

crash bandicoot

eagle4 and adamd I should bring Kansas City's pride and joy, Boulevard, unless they have that in Ohio.
Does anyobdy know if Yueingling is sold in Ohio?

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
@crash- I like that idea maybe I should bring down some Canadian micro brews for you guys! do a jerseys swap!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I usually bring a case or two of bottled water to share. Always stay hydrated. I never mind handing over some to someone who wants one. It would be good to know if flite fest will have a charging station. Since they are saying electric only this would be a key thing to have. Not sure how they would do it but it would be greatly needed to avoid a lot of clutter on the flight line/pits area.

crash bandicoot

@ craftydan, planning on filling the backseat with planes. I'll have several. Including a swappable warbird of my own that will hopefully be finished by then. I have to keep it a secret until its ready thoughh.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Crash,

Carry on then!!!

Towels -- "There's a frood who really knows where his towel is . . . "

If they're night flying . . . LIGHTS!!!!!!!

My Son and and I are planning to travel down for FliteFest14. Really looking forward to it!

It will be our first time to try flying at an event.---

Who's planning to go?
Camping or Hotel? --I noticed that the area hotels are about a 1/2 hour drive away from Furey Field. Shower and bed sounds nice, but I dont want to miss any good times!

See you guys there!
DG

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Cooler...

Make sure to compartmentalize what you can, and maybe have a list of what's supposed to be in each box. So if you have a box for your charging stuff, what plugs, adapters, etc is supposed to be in there? This will help before you go, and it will make a huge difference when you go to leave.

Do you have a business card? You're going to meet lots of people who you might want to get in contact with again. Something with your name and email, and maybe your user name from the internet.

Try to find a way to charge away from your car. Too many vehicles have been burned up at events because people charged in the cab, or on the engine, and walked away forgetting about their batteries.

Bug spray.

How long are you staying? Is it just for the day, or over night? Lots of events that are very comfortable temperature wise during the day, can get rather frigid once it gets dark.

Speaking of dark. Lights. Flashlights, head lamps, lanterns, etc.

Team_Monkey

Good list fellow Monkey. :p I forget sometimes that this site is filled with folks that are not only completely new to the hobby, but also might be "new" to other things like spending time out in the field. There are a ton of great resources for first time campers on the web. Also, this event isn't really far from civilization so anything you really need isn't going to be far away.

As for hobby gear, someone will have it, whatever "it" may be. Being local, I'll have a full truck so look me up if you need anything.
I have a green pit tent with solid walls (to keep the dew off my stuff at night). :)