List of Things To Bring to a Flying Event

Looking at field charging options today, we have a dozen 1300-2300 sized batteries, charging them all 4-5 times would take a pretty expensive deep cycle battery. I'd rather spend the day in the pits near the flight line than hovering near the car while charging. There are some cheap generators on sale at harbor freight this month. So I may pick one up.

Then I'll need a 12v power supply, or battery and charger to keep the lipos cooking.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
From road trip experience I can tell you that a case of bottled water, a loaf of bread, and either a pack of lunch meat or a jar of peanut butter can go a long way. It's good to have just incase there isn't really any food around. People get cranky when they are either hungry or dehydrated.

Don't forget how awesome naps are. Or at least how great it is to sit down for a while and relax.

After that it depends on what you're planning on doing. I've never been to a flying event, but if I went to one I'd plan on doing more watching and talking than flying. But I'd still bring a couple of planes that I don't care about.

Maybe even bring everything you need to build a few planes. Foam board, hot glue gun and plenty of glue, tape, soldering iron and a way to power it, spare ESCs, spare Rxs, spare motors, etc. Might be fun to build and fly a plane in an event. If it's a multiple day event that is. You might even draw a crowd and get people to do half of the work. ;)

Last edited:

William A

Billy did it....
There are some cheap generators on sale at harbor freight this month. So I may pick one up.
Then I'll need a 12v power supply, or battery and charger to keep the lipos cooking.

Careful,,, unless you want to listen to a lawn mower w/ a bad muffler type noise... spend wisely.

rcspaceflight

Careful,,, unless you want to listen to a lawn mower w/ a bad muffler type noise... spend wisely.

Or buy the cheap one and pack the exhaust with steel wool to make it quieter. Just be careful because even though a lot of people do that, steel wool burns. Steel wool + 9V battery = FIRE.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Or buy the cheap one and pack the exhaust with steel wool to make it quieter. Just be careful because even though a lot of people do that, steel wool burns. Steel wool + 9V battery = FIRE.

On a lot of cheap generators the exhaust is actually a minor contributor to the noise. I camped with a friend who was really sensitive to generator noise for a lot of years and he had a 3500watt construction genny he bought from another friend of mine who had tried to quiet it down. First thing he did was put a muffler from a small car on it and it helped a little but it was still obnoxiously loud. Next he added insulated panels around the generator's frame (with hinged sections that let cooling air in and exhaust air out and that lowered the noise a LOT more than the muffler did. But it was still loud enough that he ended up getting a 100' extension cord and putting it at the end of the cord then putting a plywood wall between it and camp - and he still ran it only as much as absolutely necessary because of how loud it was.

He finally got one of the Honda EU series 5k's and loves it. He puts it right next to his RV and runs it all night long with no complaints now. The 1k and 2k hondas are ridiculously quiet. One of friends had a 1k and I went to his camp to charge some batteries one time - I asked him if there were any tricks to starting it and he replied "It's already running just plug in". I was literally standing right next to the thing and didn't realize it was running it was so quiet.

The little 900w 2 stroke HF generators for $100 aren't horrible....but yeah their sound is very similar to a lawnmower and not much will quiet them down as most of the noise is coming from the engine case and not the exhaust. They're also rather finicky - most people say ditch the spark plug that came with it before even trying to start it - a quick google search will turn up the suggested replacement and a few other tips on making them more reliable. If you don't use it very often and only run it when necessary they're not a horrible buy for $100. Just be sure not to leave gas in them between uses if you don't use them regularly - run some stabil in the gas and remember to drain the carb and they should do fine. But an open topped plywood surround is a good idea to keep the noise down. Just make sure it's big enough that enough cooling air and enough fresh air to keep it running can get in.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I grew up in Ohio but it's been 15 years since I lived there...and I didn't start camping regularly until I moved out here in the desert.

One thing that's vital out here and is probably helpful for July in Ohio is ice management. We always camp with at least 2 coolers. One that's only opened when absolutely necessary for food and a second one that's opened more regularly for drinks and snacks. The ice in the food cooler will last MUCH longer that way and you won't risk food spoilage. Another trick is to pick up a lb or two of dry ice (you'd be surprised how many grocery stores have it if you ask.) put the dry ice in the very bottom and cover it with regular ice. I've had ice last 4 days in the desert that way when the people I was camped with were adding two bags of ice a day to their cooler. My drinks were colder too ;)

A checklist is always a good idea - as long as you remember to put things on the list in the first place :D

One thing I do remember being an issue camping in Ohio that isn't much of an issue here is dew. Nothing worse than waking up soaking wet despite being in a tent. If your tent doesn't have a rain fly or other secondary cover over it a tarp will make a world of difference keeping the dew from getting onto the tent surface where it can drip on you or just leave the inner surface of the tent as a wet nasty surprise when you wake up and go looking for that first cup of coffee.

Speaking of which, a cheap percolator pot is great for boiling water but makes for some lousy coffee. A cheap french press to go with it makes camp coffee quick easy and better than most people's regular coffee ;) Despite the instructions saying NOT to use them on a campfire I've had good luck using a moka pot as well...though the handle did melt some. I've also heard great things about the Aeropress for coffee in camp - but the method outlined in the instructions that come with it can be greatly improved upon with a bit of google work. I don't drink coffee often but when I do I like it to be good - and camping without it just doesn't feel right :D

William A

Billy did it....
Here's mine. ;)

Attachments

• coffee.jpg
    coffee.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 60

William A

Billy did it....
Honda does make very nice gens (I've got the 2000), but man they are pricy. Be hard to justify for something like this.

rcspaceflight

That stats say "Sound rating (dB) 91 dB" 91db is rather loud. But then again, if you're only using it to charge batteries, then it's not like you're going to have to listen to it for too long. I get wanting a really nice and quiet one for camping if you're going to run it all night. Or if you're worried about annoying your camp neighbors. But people at a flying event will (hopefully) understand.

They do make kits that allow you to hook up two batteries to your car. Then you could use one to charge all of your batteries and then re-charge it on the drive home, or run your car to re-charge it. But it's actually a much more expensive route: http://www.jegs.com/i/Painless+Perf...4&cadevice=c&gclid=COHb0aTk4b0CFbFFMgoduwcAFw

augernaught

Augernaught
And the beer/alcohol issue that has been so successfully skirted??
These are not a bunch of little children driving hundreds or thousands of miles to these events after all.....
what's going to be allowed on premises?

Hey. Flying monkey- if you go to harbor freights site, and click the "get coupons" on the top right side, the unit is available for only $99 until the 30th I'm reluctant even at that price, I hate to listen to generators run, and as an emergency unit for home, it will barley run the fridge. I spectated at a couple events in the past, and it really made it clear the hot set up is the little Honda generator, but they are quite spendy!

On the beer issue, nothing goes better with an evening around the campfire, but hey, it's not SEFF, and I expect the house rules will be somewhat different- that's what will give each event it's own personality. The flight test guys have been successful so far with their formula, I'll bet they stick with what is working.

augernaught

Augernaught
Hey. Flying monkey- if you go to harbor freights site, and click the "get coupons" on the top right side, the unit is available for only $99 until the 30th I'm reluctant even at that price, I hate to listen to generators run, and as an emergency unit for home, it will barley run the fridge. I spectated at a couple events in the past, and it really made it clear the hot set up is the little Honda generator, but they are quite spendy!

On the beer issue, nothing goes better with an evening around the campfire, but hey, it's not SEFF, and I expect the house rules will be somewhat different- that's what will give each event it's own personality. The flight test guys have been successful so far with their formula, I'll bet they stick with what is working.

Yeah, that will seperate the grown MEN from their tools of enjoyment, from the little BOYS and their little toys.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
I have no idea what that even means...................

#clueless....

nether do I maybe and old reference :\.

for the alcohol, id assume is "out of sight, out of mind" as long as people are respectful, responsible and use common sense I don't see there being a problem with a FEW "pops" around the fire.

IE. no swishin back a 40 then jumping on the sticks.