Looking at setting up a park flyer club

StuartPB

Hi everyone,

I run a non profit, community interest company in a town in the north of England that has a lot of social and economic issues to deal with, much like many urban areas in the UK. Part of the work we do is to promote our local park and to get people out and using it more often, whether it be families or individuals. We run a crazy golf course and a crown green bowling green where everyone can borrow equipment for free to play these games. I love RC flying but am very new to the hobby. I always wanted to take up the hobby but I thought the cost was too much. Recently I built a quadcopter and am learning to film video with that. I want to try fixed wing flight now though as that's always been where my interest lies. I've flown flight sims since the first one I had on the ZX81 way back in the early 80's.

I am thinking of trying to set up a club here for the local kids, where they can come and build their aircraft and learn to fly them. I just need to get some people onboard who know more than I do in terms of RC flight. Having seen the things that can be done with some foam board and hobby tools I'm sure we can get more kids interested in this great hobby without the cost being prohibitive. I've ordered a mini Tiny Trainer speed kit to have a go at making myself, my eldest daughter is keen to help out with the build too. If anyone has any advice on setting such a club up it would be more than welcome! Or if anyone has done something similar it would be great to hear how they found the experience.

Great work on the videos, plans and speed kits Flite Test! If I hadn't watched your videos I wouldn't have considered scratching the fixed wing RC flying itch I've had for over 30 years :)

Last edited:

StuartPB

I've spoken to a few people from our local council and in principle they could support a park flying club. They could even help with some funding to get the ball rolling with equipment costs. There are a few RC flight clubs in the wider local area so my next step is to approach them and see if anyone in that club would be able to help out at all. The idea is that kids whose parents might not be able to afford the initial layout of all the RC equipment and aircraft can come and spend time making their aircraft from the plans here in Flite Test. We could do a lay away scheme where parents put a little in each week so the kids can eventually buy their own gear. As a social enterprise, we are trying to find ways that we can encourage kids to get out and take part in positive activities and we are also trying to encourage usage of our local park, so something like this could be a novel way to kill two birds with one stone.

If anyone has tried or is doing similar I'd love to hear how you found the experience as an organiser, or even if you took part in something similar.