Looking for a fast budget wing with goproand fpv gear

ssteve

Looking to build a wing to get some decent low and quick footage. I was kicking around the techsumo, but I am not versed in what the wing world has to offer. I have some extra hk blue series 30a esc's so I would like to get whatever would come close to maxing that out but still pushing around the wing for a little while on a 2200 3s. Suggestions?

Someone suggest the Crash test hobby piñata which looks like an awesome option but I haven't been able to find much first hand experience with it.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Piñata is very new so it is not surprising there is no experience base yet. All the CrashTestHobby planes work well but they are a pretty intense build compared to some. The rewards of the build experience, however, are very satisfying as well. I have a Deep Reaper XL that I still have to finish. I have also wanted an Assassin for a while now.

Thurmond

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
A wing is my first choice as well but I wanted a second motor for insurance against loss due to engine/ESC failure. I hate walking through crops. That's why I built a Kraken. High speed was not one of my specs.

If you are looking for high speed I recommend a known platform with a tail. Stability about the lateral axis has been an issue with the video I've seen taken from wings at high speeds. This is not to say it's not controllable, rather a slight buffet that may render your footage useless will occur at Vmax. Your application may not propel the wing to this point, just a heads up that this could be an issue.

Justin

ssteve

Awesome thanks for the info justin. The goal isn't absolute speed. I would just like the ability to capture footage that's low, somewhat fast (60mph ish) yet slow down and cruise about as well. The other major aspect is durability. Foam board and me don't get along when I'm flying Fpv, and the kraken is just way too big for my tastes or needs. I'm not concerned with failures really, as I'm flying 5.8ghz and not going real far.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I suggest the Teksumo / Popwing (same plane) with the MonkeyBlunt fuselage. EPP foam is darn near indestructible, especially if you give the leading edge a coat of Shoe Goo. The MonkeyBlunt fuselage solves a lot of the problems that come from trying to fit a bunch of gear onto a wing that size, as well as giving you more flexibility for your CG.

If you are going to try to build a fast FPV wing, consider going to a more powerful motor and larger battery(ies).

EDIT: For the record, I have a Teksumo and love it, but I don't personally have a MonkeyBlunt. If I build another wing, that's what I'm going to build, though.

EDIT 4/11/2015 - Monkeyblunt appears to be no more. The latest and greatest is SNIPOD. Google it on rcgroups.

Last edited:

ssteve

how is your gear laid out on your teksumo? Pics? Im considering grabbing one just cause the price is right.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
That Caipirinha is a mighty fine looking wing. Love that they have done all the cutouts for the wires and gear already. Not much use if you don't fly a GoPro, though.

ssteve

That looks perfect. I wouldn't care to fly it los so it's perfect how they have it setup.

Now comes motor setup. Suggestions? They recommend a small 2200kv on a 12a and 3300. I have a bunch of 2200's and a bunch of 30a HK blueseries esc's so I would like to use that stuff.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Although I like some of TBS stuff. I will NOT support them due to the high profile stunts that they have pulled which have raised a big flag to the authorities (FAA and Law Enforcement). Sorry Trappy, you should not have done it in my country.

Thurmond

knotthrower

Caipirinha Special: Night Flyer with stabilization

This is the wing to go for:

This would make the Boys at TBS proud. Took a Caipirinha Night time Caipi.jpg and added a little bling! Eagle Tree Gaurdian tames her. Volo LED's light up the sky.

TBS Caipirinha
Power plant: TBS Caipi motor, Castle Creations 15 A Talon, TBS 2s 3300 mAh
Control: ImmersionRc 4ch lite
Video: Fatshark Pilot HD with Iftron 1.3 Ghz Tx
OSD: TBS PNP Pro with GPS
Stabilization: Eagle Tree Gaurdian
Lighting: Volo LED's: 1 x green, 1 x red, 2 x white, hooked to separate 3s 430mAh. The separate battery makes C of G perfect