Looking for a good resource for me as a first time builder...

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
So I got bit hard by the flying bug when I found flitetest. I have built probably well over 20 foam planes in the last year and have had a blast flying a few times a week learning the ropes and getting pretty good. I have always found balsa planes to be beautiful and a work of art. Ever since I was a kid I wanted a balsa plane and to learn how to fly. I learned how to fly with foam and now want to try and build balsa. I went ahead and ordered s small 24" rubberband balsa plane kit yesterday and eagerly await its arrival. In the mean time, is there a good website or resource for learning the basics of balsa building? I watched a few youtube videos but I guess I'm wondering if there is a series or something out there to watch or read. I would really like to learn on this small model then build a larger version that is twice the size (I already have the plans in cad from a designer and can laser cut all the ribs and frames) as a winter project.

Thanks!

Justin

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
RAM, good reference pages you offered. JUSS10, Just get the minimum and get started. A flat surface is needed. I found a flat piece of clear pine at Home Depot years ago to build a 72" sailplane on, one half of the wing at a time. It came out great. The pins pushed into it pretty well.

Your 24" rubber powered plane sounds like a good place to start, too.

Keep us posted on your progress.

gabrielete

Hello, I'm sure you can start straight away with wood.

I've been building with balsa recently. I've made 3 planes, the first one didn't fly, but that's ok, I learned with it. The answer to your question is a Nike slogan: Buy the tools RAM told you and Just do it.

I use foamboard as a flat surface and Also CA and regular wood glue. CA dries fast and the tie is strong but fragile and can be broken with a hit (that's something not always bad). Regular wood glue is strong but takes a long time to dry....

Allenhat

I used to use an old door for a workbench with a sheet of drywall ontop of it to pin into. However if you are limited in space a thick sheet off glass cut to the size you need works well too. You and actually put your plans under the sheet of glass and tack glue you parts to the glass instead of pinning. Be careful though with the glue too much and you will break the balsa trying to get it free.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As has been said, go light on the glue - it goes a long way! For learning to build I'm a firm believer in starting with a GOOD kit. Not a cheap one (like the hobby king balsa kits), but one that has quality laser cutting, a design that actually fits together properly, and instructions. Those qualities will help you actually finish the kit, where the cheap kits can often leave you discouraged and heading back to foamies.

Kits like the Lucky ACE or Switchback from Mountain Models are usually the first ones I'd recommend for new balsa builders.

Having access to a laser cutter would be great, as long as the parts being cut are accurate and fit well. Otherwise it's going to make the build much more involved while you sand or fill gaps to get a proper fit.

That's just my $.02.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Thanks for the input everyone!

The kit I got is an older Golden Age Reproductions kit. I'll be honest, I bought a kit based on the plane I wanted and may not be the best first kit but we'll give it a try.

If I ever get the the bigger model I want to build from plans, I will have to do some laser tweaking to get just the right gaps figured out when laser cutting the parts.

That said, does anyone have a good source for balsa? I found a few website and found one with great prices but it costs about $15 to ship $30 of balsa which I had a hard time with.

Thanks!

Justin

RCMasterx

Hi Justin. I have built quite a few planes in my life and the best advice I can give you is to buy a kit plane for your first endeavor. There are so many little things that you will need to learn, that starting from scratch will be a very difficult task. A quality kit will teach you many of the basic skills you need in true scratch building. Even simple tasks like cutting and sanding will come into play. I'm by no means trying to discourage you from learning to build, quite the opposite. Building a balsa airplane and flying it for the first time is rewarding beyond comparison. A kit will provide you with the print to build over, the correct kind of wood for the different parts of the plane, hardware, and detailed instructions. I personally believe it would improve your chances of success and strengthen your bond to the hobby.

Look for model kits from manufacturers such as Top Flite, Sig, and Great Planes. My first successful plane the Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50. I still have it and stills flies great after 26 years.

This may be more info than you were looking for, but I learned a lot from that plane. Skills I still use to this day.

JD

"I don't always crash my RC plane...but when I do, I drive it into the ground like a fence post!"

Last edited: