Which CA glue?

MikeK

Hi all...new member here.

I've built a few balsa and tissue planes when I was a kid, before CA existed and am now considering trying CA for a couple models that I recently purchased. I've seen builds of people using thin CA and others using Gorilla superglue (I have no idea if that is thick or thin), so I'm not sure what I should use. I can get the Gorilla CA at the local home improvement store and I've found these two thin CA's on eBay. Any suggestions what I should get? Thanks in advance.

Bob Smith Industries INSTA-CURE Super Thin CA (1oz) [BSI102] (https://www.ebay.com/itm/121950093623)
Great Planes Pro Instant CA Glue (Thin) (1oz) [GPMR6002] (https://www.ebay.com/itm/401594992251)

Mike

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Both brands of CA will work. Thick CA is good to fill gaps, thin CA is for more exactly fitting parts. CA has a definite shelf life. I would be more worried about how fresh it is than which brand.

I have a bit of an allergic reaction if I use too much CA, more than one or two joints a day. If I use it on more joints, a few hours later my head stuffs up & I have trouble breathing through my nose.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Both brands of CA will work. Thick CA is good to fill gaps, thin CA is for more exactly fitting parts. CA has a definite shelf life. I would be more worried about how fresh it is than which brand.

I have a bit of an allergic reaction if I use too much CA, more than one or two joints a day. If I use it on more joints, a few hours later my head stuffs up & I have trouble breathing through my nose.
In your case, I would go to extremes to have more than adequate ventilation.

MikeK

Okay, thanks. We have some warmer days rolling in so I may do it then and with a fan in an open window, or do it in the garage with the door open.

If I, similarly, could only do a couple joints a day is there any reason for me to not use Titebond wood glue instead of the CA? I was choosing CA because of the quick build time.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... is there any reason for me to not use Titebond wood glue instead of the CA? ...
It all depends on what you are gluing together. On wood and paper, titebond is a great choice. It not going to work on foam, plastic or metal.

If you are gluing foam, regular CA will likely eat the foam. There is foam safe CA.

For me, no amount of ventilation is enough. But I'm in the minority, you may not have any reaction at all.

Yankee2003

Funny, I have the same reaction. When i have a lot of CA to do I wear my respirator. Seemed like over-kill at first until it worked.
Might want to give it a shot.

Bricks

Master member
For building it is nice to have all 3 types of CA thin, medium and thick along with Titebond. Titebond will give you the best hold but takes longer to build as you mentioned CA`s are very brittle. Using the two together works great Titebond then a dab of CA to hold parts in place until the Titebond dries speeds building some.

MikeK

I picked up a fresh bottle of Titebond, as the one I kept in the basement for woodworking was showing to be slow to pour. I also got a bottle of Gorilla super glue (I assume this is medium or thick), because I saw an experienced balsa modeler use it exclusively for building the Guillows Lancer. And I'll order some thin CA. I don't mind waiting for the Titebond, especially if it has the best hold. I may also setup two build boards to speed things up. Thanks for the input.