Looking for a slow, Park flyer FT build

Dgreco63

Multirotor Enthusiast
It was the Mighty Minis

Just figured I'd update this thread. It was the firewalls from the mighty minis.

I ended up printing out a couple of power pod plans and building 2 extra ones just in case I needed them again.

Now if only the wind would die down,.......

Dgreco63

Multirotor Enthusiast
Questions about beefing up the power pod and firewall on this FT Trainer

OK gang, I FINALLY got this plane in the air and flew it "successfully" last night for the first time. I had it in the air for about 15 minutes. And yeah, I cartwheeled in a couple times and pulled a header once. I really loved how well this plane flew. The modified slow flyer wing works great and I had that plane moving along at barely 1/4 throttle. I hope to have a video up on YouTube soon. BTW if/when you eventually watch this video, don't laugh too hard about me geeking out at getting it into the air! ;);)

Now here's the part where I'm looking for some help. With all the ahem,....."hard landings" I'm experiencing I am breaking firewalls left and right. :black_eyed: This is the second one I broke. Luckily I bought a 5 pack from the FT Store and still have 4 left. But I believe that when I substituted the stock motor for a larger Sunnysky 1400 KV motor this contributes to the breakage issue. It's a larger, longer motor so it sticks out more from the nose. Also, it's heavier and when impacting the ground will snap that firewall like a twig. Additionally due to the larger motor size I cannot use all the mounting holes. I can only use two of them. Upon impact the firewall will snap right along those 2 bolt holes.

I was thinking of doubling up the firewall. You know, making a sandwich of two of them. I also thought of adding an inner layer of foam to each "wall" to give it more strength. What do you all think?

Other than not crashing (which I hope to start doing!) is there anything else I can do?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Back in the previous century When Balsa was all the rage and plans were more difficult to keep together for beginners I had someone fit a lump, (disk) of cork between motor and firewall. It was about 1/2 inch thick.

The mounting bolts still went through the motor and the firewall but had locknuts fitted and were tightened so that the cork was compressed but not a great deal.

On impact the Cork disk was severely compressed and destroyed, but it reduced the shock into the fuselage and reduced the damage that would otherwise occurred.

Not sure if a compressible shock disk would suit your requirements or what materials would be easily available for use now!

What worked for me, (A lifetime ago)!

Have fun!

Dgreco63

Multirotor Enthusiast
Shock absorber... Not bad!

Thanks for the tip. The thought of adding some kind of shock adsorber between the motor and the firewall has it's merits. If I beef up the firewall too much that energy from the crash will be back into the frame and could cause more damage than just a firewall breaking.

I think I have some cork sheets out in the garage.

Dgreco63

Multirotor Enthusiast
2nd flight didn't end so well...... :mad:

Augered in and broke ANOTHER fire wall (even with the cork), crushed the power pod, broken prop and pretty much cracked the main fuselage. I hit hard enough for the skewers to rip out of the holes they were in (hence the cracked fuse).

I made this a 4 channel and I think that might have been a mistake. I can fly a 3 Channel UMX Radian pretty well. And yeah, I know it's got stabilization and it flies SLOW.

Now I have to either repair the fuse or rebuild it. Pretty sure it'll be a rebuild since I really need a secure piece of foam to install the skewers.